The Wedding Breaker

The Wedding Breaker

 

        It was quiet the next morning since Kris was sleeping in, which was a first since Nina first stepped into the house. Tao seemed to be busy clicking away on his laptop in the kitchen while Nina watched him as she leaned against the counter at the opposite of him. He looked completely focused on his work that he didn't even realise her staring at him the whole time. The way his eyebrows would crease from time to time fascinated her, and the dark eye bags made him look so threatening especially since he was so concentrated in his work. But she knew better than be afraid of him - as long as she stays on his good side that is.

        She soon grew tired of the silence and sighed, but the male seemed to not have heard her. So instead, she approached him and sat next to him at the dinner table. "What are you doing?" she asked.

        "Huh? Oh, going through some reports sent from our branch in China." Tao replied without glancing her way.

        Nina frowned. "I thought you're Mr. Wu's bodyguard?" 

        "No, I'm Kris's bodyguard."

        "That's what I said," she rolled her eyes and deadpanned.

        Tao turned to her and chuckled. "Sorry. I was not really paying attention. And yes, I am his bodyguard. Well, most of the time. I also help him around with his work when he needs help."

        "So you're sort of like his assistant?"

        "I guess you can say that. I'm his right-hand man. I do variety of works for him. I'm his multi-purpose employee, if I can say so myself. I do everything I can to help him."

        "Wow, that's great." Nina smiled. "I'd pay you double the salary he gives just to have you be mine - if I have the money."

        The male laughed. "I'd love to help you when I can, Nina. Considering that Kris lets you free though."

        Nina frowned at this. "Speaking of which, when does he plan to let me go? I mean, what's the use of keeping me trap in this house? I remembered when I first woke up in this place. Mr. Wu specifically told me that he was getting his revenge, but I don't feel like I'm actually his hostage! In fact, I feel like a wife he locks up in his house or something."

        "I don't know." Tao sighed. "He did planned to pay you back for ruining his reputation and image that day, but now I'm not so sure either. I may act all friendly around him but I don't dare question his actions much."

        "Why? Cos he's your boss?"

        "No. Kris has a very bad temper, and what you saw on the early days you were here was nothing. He has a very ugly temper and I suggest you stay on his good side."

        "So you're talking behind my back now?" a voice was suddenly heard from behind them.

        They turned to see Kris coming into the kitchen with a frown on his face, but otherwise he looked as smart and handsome as always. He had obviously cleaned himself up after drinking last night and was probably still having a hangover. Tao scoffed and shifted his attention back towards the laptop screen with a smirk on his face. "You know I always do, gege."

        "And I didn't fire you yet because..."

        "Because you love me." Tao finished his sentence adorably, causing Nina to smile while Kris scoffed.

        "Quit that, Zitao. I have a massive headache and I don't need you to burden me more with your aegyo."

        "Yah!"

        "Zitao, I'm your boss and we have company. Show me some respect." Kris said sternly before hissing in pain. "Where's that ing pills?"

        Nina abruptly got up from her chair and walked towards the stove. "I have something better, if you don't mind," she said while looking at the handsome blonde male timidly. Kris raised an eyebrow at her and she took it as a sign to continue. "I made you some hangover soup."

        Surprised, Kris could only blink and stared at the girl in front of him. He felt a weird sensation in his stomach, but he ignored it completely and stared at the now blushing girl. Realising that he had been staring for far too long and Tao had been eyeing him with interest, he cleared his throat and looked away. 

        "Would you like to have some now?" she asked. 

        Kris could only nod and walked towards the table, occupying the seat opposite of Tao. The younger was wiggling his eyebrows at him but Kris ignored him and rubbed his temple, the headache aching him once more.

        "You okay, gege?" Tao asked, worried now. He watched as Kris slowly nodded his head and let out a small hiss, audible only for the two of them. "How much did you drink last night?"

        "I have no idea." Kris groaned. "God, I'm never going out to drink with Luhan or Chanyeol ever again."

        Nina came back to the table with a bowl of hot soup and gingerly placed it in front of him. Kris looked up and absentmindedly thanked her before digging in, careful not to burn his tongue at the process. Nina, however, was slightly taken aback by the soft tone and the words that just came out his mouth. Did he just thank me?

        Tao seemed to be able to read her mind and chuckled at her expression. When their eyes met, he gave her a curt nod and she smiled in return. Kris was oblivious to it all as he was drinking down the soup that he admits to be simply delicious. But since his tummy was still upset after last night's drinking session, he had to take it slow in order not to vomit it all out. 

        "Is it delicious, gege?" Tao asked, a hint of teasing in his voice.

        But oblivious Kris was still oblivious. He hummed in respond without looking up and continued devouring his soup, not realising a blush spreading onto someone's face. Nina bit her bottom lip, trying to hide the smile on her face, and quietly left the kitchen to continue reading her book in the living room.

        "What are you doing?" Kris suddenly asking, lifting his eyes from the bowl to look at Tao.

        "Our China branch just sent me their monthly report and I'm reviewing it right now." Tao answered with a serious look on his face. He was back to business.

        "And? How is it?"

        "Satisying. I'll tell you the details later once I'm done with this." Tao told him before shutting the laptop. "By the way, I'm headed to Seoul this evening. I'm going to check out the progress for Wu Empire's recent project and then head off to meet Mr. Shin to see about that finance issue."

        Kris nodded at the informations given by the younger. This was one of the reason why he was fond of the kungfu panda. He's very committed in his work - just like him - and is very good at them too. Kris had given him his full trust to attend to some matters when he was unable to do it, and he helps out with anything and everything he can. Thanks to Tao, Kris didn't feel his job at Wu Empire as burdensome since he was always around to help him to begin with. Still, he knew better to leave his work to Tao all the time so he usually assigns the younger to handle the work outside of the office when he wasn't able to, but of course whatever decision that was made was discussed with him beforehand.

        "Good job, panda. Will you make it back here or are you staying in Seoul for the night?" 

        "Well, I was hoping to get a day off tomorrow and sleep in at my apartment." Tao responded, biting his bottom lip as he waited for Kris's reaction.

        But the elder simply nodded and sipped the remaining of Tao's coffee before turning back to look at him. "Rest all you can, Zitao. You've worked hard. But don't take too long. I need you here."

        Tao smiled and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, clearly happy about the approval. He's been working so hard this past few weeks; helping Kris out with the company and not to mention his childish decision of kidnapping Nina. A though suddenly hit him but he was cut off before he could say anything.

        "Did you tell her?" Kris had suddenly asked.

        "Tell who?"

        "Nina..." Kris said as he directed his head towards the living room. "Did you tell her you're leaving for the city?"

        "Uhh... should I?" Tao asked, confused with his unexpected question. I know I will end up telling her later but how come Kris became the first to mention it?

        Kris looked slightly taken aback by his question and cleared his throat. "Just in case she goes looking for you. Plus, I see that you two have been quite close these days."

        "I'm the only one she can talk to in this house," the younger scoffed. "But yes, I'll tell her. Later."

        "Okay."

        Tao stared at Kris as the elder got up from his chair and left the kitchen, only to climb back up the stairs and probably headed to his office. He frowned as he suddenly recalled their last conversation and tapped the surface of the table with his fingers. Is Kris worried that she'll be lonely if I leave? 

 

 

        Dinner had been awkward that night since Tao wasn't around to eat with them. The atmosphere was so tensed and awkward as the two ate at the dinner table in silence, none bothering to say a single word to ease the tension. Tao had left sometime around evening and Nina had made dinner for them both to eat that night. Kris had contemplated to pick up his bowl of rice and some few side dishes and bring it up to his office, but he didn't want to leave her alone downstairs and eat by herself. But of course, he denied himself that it was his intention and sticked to the thought the he was simply lazy to bring up all his food to his office.

        They were still halfway eating when they heard the doorbell ring. Kris frowned since he was not expecting any guests that night while Nina turned to the direction of the door before turning back to look at Kris, wondering if she should get it. Kris turned his gaze to her and absentmindedly shook his head, telling her to sit still. The doorbell rung again but this time it came with a few knocks on the door right after. Still frowning, Kris slowly placed his utensils down and walked off towards the front door.

        Could it be Chanyeol or Luhan? But they know better than too come here uninvited or without notice, so it couldn't be them. Kris slowly made his way to the door and sighed when he heard another knock on the door, grumbling under his breath about his peace being interrupted as he opened the door. The annoyed look on his face immediately disappeared and a shocked expression immediately surfaced.

        "Eomma."

 

 


A short update for my very patient readers... I'm so sorry for not updating for so long, cupcakes. Mama's sorryyyyyy!!! :( I missed you guys so much!! I'm done giving excuses and all I could do is apologize and thank you guys for the wait. I hope you enjoyed this update! Thank you all who had commented on the previous chapters and I do hope to hear from you guys again! By the way, I heard there's a television drama now based on the novel. How is it? I don't watch Malay dramas cos they don't excite me lol. Hehehe :3 But do tell me what you think about 'Ariana Rose' and my version of The Wedding Breaker. I hope I don't disappoint you guys too much! Do leave comments.. kay? 

Ah, did you guys watched EXO Showtime Ep6 yet? Which scene is your favourite? Mine would be when Kris woke up and told Sehun his lips was bleeding. Lol he looked so adorable ><" Oh and also the Ya-ja time. Gosh Xiumin was so adorable!! And Tao! hahahaha....

Ahhhh Kris why so cute??!! ><"