Baked Chicken

My Revenge Drabble

Hyun Woo pressed the box into Hailey's hands. "I swear, I know what I'm doing in the kitchen." He winked playfully as Haileu rolled her eyes. "I don't know, Hyun Woo, leaving you alone in the kitchen seems like a bad idea, besides, it's your day off, don't you want to relax." Haileu questioned. Hyun Woo crinkled up his nose. "I am at peace at most in the kitchen." he said confidently. "What about last week when you burned the soup that I had already cooked?" Haileu asked. Hyun Woo gasped. "We promised to never speak of that day again!" he whispered. "Mhhmmm." Haileu rolled her eyes again.

Hyun Woo shrugged Haileu's comments off. "I swear, it'll be the best baked chicken you have ever tasted in your life. I'll add spices and everything!" he exclaimed ecstatically. Haileu chuckled and reached up to ruffle his hair. "You're just like your father, you know that?" her eyes crinkled along the edges as she smiled at him. "I wish I could have at least said goodbye, my sched-" Haileu shushed him. "It's okay, there's nothing more you could have done. You were a wonderful son to him, he really loved you, you know?" Hyun Woo nodded silently. "Now, enough glumness- get me some chicken! Unless you changed your mind.." "No, I definitely didn't." Hyun Woo said, smiling softly.

Haileu smiled back and walked down the hallway to her room. She opened the box Hyun Woo had handed her, wanting to know what shenanigans he had been through to get her some photos this time. She smiled as she saw him pretending to the Eiffel Tower. Kicking over the Great Wall of China. He even added an illustration of himself, hand-drawn. The nose was too big and his teeth were crooked and sticking out of his mouth, but it still managed to be cute; that was her son, all grown up. Haileu shook her head and placed the new pictures in her drawer. She sniffed the air. Something was definitely burning. Haileu limped back into the hallway, she felt dizzy. She gripped the wall as she fell onto the carpeting. "Umma?" she heard as she her eyes got heavy. "Umma?" That was Hyun Woo. That was her son, all grown up.