The Start

When You Walked Into My Life

Summer was only a few weeks away, marking the end of my freshman year. All these months passed by like any other months, nothing interesting or whatsoever. I put on my headphones and scrolled down the list of music in my iPod before choosing a song. I decided to go with a slow rock song, since I've always had an interest in rock. I stared out the window, thinking how boring could my life get? All this time, I went to school, hung out with my friends, went back home, went to sleep and the sequence repeated itself.

I sighed as I shifted my attention to a couple a few seats in front of me. Even on a bus, they could get all lovey-dovey. My mom gave me a pep talk this morning on how I should consider dating as an option. She said that she was very open when it came to relationships, and so if I had a girl I like, I was allowed to tell her anything. But then again, IF. 

Mom said that high school was the age to meet and fall in love with new people. It was the age to go on countless dates before you settle down in adulthood. She said she missed her high school days the most, and how she regretted breaking up with this one guy. Obviously, he was not dad. So, she made it very clear in the end that she was glad to marry someone like my dad even when she lost her soulmate.

Me? I thought love as something that was very general, very common. It was something that occured in everyday life, nothing new, nothing special. No doubt that I had never get the chance to fall in love, yet. So maybe that was why I thought like this. Well, at least, that was what my mom said.

I got off the bus and walked straight toward school. I was greeted by Jonghyun along the way, who arrived to school by skipping happily. He slung an arm around my shoulders and asked, "So, did you get it?"

"Of course. This is Kim Myungsoo you're talking to," I replied boastfully. He was referring to the keyboard that I was planning to buy for months. After all the hard work from my part-time jobs, I finally had one. My dad couldn't say anything about it since it was my money. Smart, huh?

"Ahh, I can't believe summer is coming," he said.

"I know right. And I can't wait to not be freshman anymore. Being one ."

We walked passed by the school gate and I could already see a few girls murmuring and whispering while stealing glances at us. This was pretty much normal for me. I kept a pokerface while Jonghyun, as usual, smiled back. Pfft, he was like the nice, sweet guy while I'm the awfully ignorant jerk. But wasn't he worst than me? I meant he kept on giving them hope. As if he would actually go out with any of them. I was just being straightforward. If I didn't like a girl, then I wouldn't act like I did. I would only make effort for someone who I really like.

Before class started, I went to the music room. It was the most awesome and relaxing place because anyone could just go in. Well, not anyone. You had to be playing at least one instrument to go inside. And that required an approval from the music teacher, Miss Min. I happened to use my best features to get the pass. I wasn't going to sound braggy, but I had these eyes that were full of charisma. Well, I've been told.

I pushed the door and no one was there. Well, it was still early in the morning. I made my way to the keyboard and started playing out a harmonious melody. I've always loved to play this, especially since I went to piano lessons when I was little. My mom made me go because she wanted me to be perfect, even on the artistic side. However, my love for music grew till I spoke up that I might be taking music as a profession. My dad threw a fit that day, saying that he didn't send me to piano lessons for that purpose. Just to develop a useful hobby, he said.

And so, they quit sending me to piano lessons, but I started learning on how to play the keyboard secretly in middle school from my seniors. Of course, now, I would tell them the reason I bought it was because I wanted to play it in my spare time ONLY.

"Whoa, you're good," a voice startled me from my immense playing.

"Yoseob, don't you agree?" he asked his friend who had the smallest face I've ever seen.

"You're in a band or something?" Yoseob asked.

"No," I replied short.

The guy with the red hair slung over an electronic guitar and started strumming. His name was Junho, I thought. Yoseob grabbed a bass and started doing the same thing.

"Do you know 1234 by the Plain White Tee's?" he asked.

I slowly nodded my head. My head was still processing what he said one by one. I guess I was just startled when someone acted all friendly to me. He started strumming the guitar, followed by Yoseob and naturally, my fingers began pressing the keys along with the rhythm. It sounded better than expected.

We were getting in the mood when suddenly the bell rang. All of us groaned at the same time and laughed afterwards. We all hate school and love music. Now, that was the one thing that cliqued us.

"I'm Junho," he extended his hand for a handshake. I gladly accepted it and flashed off one of my rare smiles, the sincere one. "Myungsoo," I replied. "And I'm Yoseob!" the other guy chimed in. "Well, we should get going. What class are you in?" Junho asked.

"Class 4," I said.

"Okay then, see you around."

Ever since then, we became very good friends. We always talked about our love for music and nothing else literally. Jonghyun hung out with us too considering he was classmates with Junho and Yoseob. One day, Junho laid out a poster that changed all of our lives.

"Guys, look at this!" he exclaimed.

"Rock band competition?" Jonghyun raised an eyebrow.

"Yes! And the winning prize is money!" Junho was the one who seemed interested.

"So? We're not a band," I pointed out.

"Let's make one, then," he suggested.

"What?" Yoseob almost spurted his drink.

"You're the bassist, you're the keyboardist, you're the singer and I'm obviously the lead guitar. Okay?"

"Who's going to be the drummer then? We can't have a band wihout one," Jonghyun said. He was not against the idea, just the thought of him singing for real was just hard to believe. He loved singing but, being in a band meant doing it seriously.

"I know one!" Yoseob exclaimed brightly like a light bulb just popped out of his mind.

"No." That was the direct answer we got from Minho. We were busy persuading him to join the band. Well, actually more like Junho and Yoseob distracting him from studying.

"Come on, dude. I know you love drumming," Yoseob punched his hand lightly.

"Yes. But no, not in a band," he declined affirmatively.

"Then just swing by at Junho's place first. You're not in, just we want to see if you'll fit us," I challenged.

"Are you questioning my skills?" he stopped looking at the books and glared at me. I scoffed. The rumour was true. This guy would never say no when he's challenged.

Thanks to my idea, Minho agreed to join us. He did swung by and his skills was pretty much perfect. Well, this guy is Choi Minho. Even for a guy, he was flawless. At the day of the competition, we went prepared and actually secretly wished that we could win.

"Guys! We have a problem! We forgot that we don't have a name for the band yet!" Jonghyun shouted, running to us while holding the entry form.

We spent a couple of minutes thinking until the staff called all of the bands competing inside as the event was about to start. Jonghyun looked around for inspiration, or more like taking whatever name that he saw. He suddenly wrote it down and ran to the staff to send in the form. When he came back, we asked what he jotted down. "Evolution," he said.

"Evolution?" I asked, worried that it would sound crappy.

"What? No turning back. From now on, we are Evolution, okay?" he said.

Before we went on stage, we decided to watch the other bands performed first. While I was watching, I looked around and noticed the crowd was very big. This was no joke. Suddenly, I spotted out a girl amidst the people there. She was standing there, looking uninterested, next to her tall friend who was, I guessed flirting with a guy? She went to our school and I knew she was in the same grade as me. But I never knew her name.

That night, she looked unexceptionally beautiful and perfect. With her hair pulled up into a funky hairdo and neon earrings dangling, she still looked flawless. She was looking around as well, at times, looking at her watch. I felt my heart beating loudly against my ribcage as I stared at her, and only her. Despite all those people there, why did it feel like she was the only one that shone? I was getting more and more amazed by her beauty until Jonghyun tapped my shoulder and said, "We're up next."

I nodded my head and followed the rest of the guys backstage. Before doing so, I stole one last glance at her and unknowingly, my lips curved into a smile.

We all prepared and did the soundchecks and all before performing. From up there, I could see thousands of eyes, full of expectations, staring right at us. My eyes caught that pretty girl once again but she was not looking at me. She was looking at Jonghyun, I guessed. Well, I better do well if I want to impress that girl, right?

"The winner for this year's rock band competition is....Evolution!" the emcee announced after a long day. The guys and I high-fived each other and shouted triumphantly. We went up the stage to receive the big piece of cardboard, symbolizing the money and Jonghyun proudly held the trophy and lifted it up in air as the crowd cheered. I noticed the girl was more interested now, and she was smiling a bit. Did she rooted for us or something?

After we got off stage, we were hovered by people, or should I say fans, who were crazy to get an autograph or take pictures with us. It was not that many, but hey, at least we won. I just did whatever the guys did, when suddenly, I noticed that pretty girl earlier being dragged by her tall friend toward Minho.

"We're in the same school, remember?" she tilted her head, trying the cute act in front of Minho. Yeah, that would never work.

"I'm Sulli, and this is Soojung. We're in Class 1 though," she greeted. Jonghyun came over and butted in, "Ah, Class 1. We're in Class 2. I'm Jonghyun."

"I'm Minho," he said awkwardly. This guy was the worst when it came to knowing new people.

I watched them from afar. Ah, so her name was Soojung. What a beautiful name, just like the person herself. She was silent throughout their conversation so I figured she was a bit shy. The girls soon excused themselves and us guys decided to go celebrate our victory.

"I couldn't believe we won!" Junho exclaimed. He was probably the most excited out of all of us.

"I see girls are buzzing in, already, eh Minho?" Yoseob tried to guessed vaguely.

"Huh? Oh, they're just from our school. That's all," he ate his piece of ddeokbokki. 

"She was kind of cute," I blurted unknowingly. Realizing what I just said, I cursed under my breath. What the hell, Myungsoo?

"Who? Sulli? Or Soojung?" Jonghyun was trying to provoke me into talking about girls. I made it very clear to them before that I never fell in love before. I dated, but no, it was not love like what my mom described.

"Neither," I lied.

"Nice try, Myungsoo. But you're never getting away with this," Junho said.

"Let's see...Myungsoo's ideal type is someone with long, wavy hair. So, I'm saying it's Soojung," Yoseob shoved another piece of ddeokbokki into his mouth.

"But isn't Sulli cuter? I mean Soojung is so cold. Sulli is filled with aegyo and is friendly," Junho said.

"I know you for a long time. It's Soojung, right?" Jonghyun kept on bombarding me with questions.

"It's Soojung, I know it," Minho started to join them. Really?

"I told you, neither. Gosh, what's so great about them anyways?" I put on a nonchalant expression and did not dare to look into their eyes. Instead, I just lowered my head and kept on eating.

It was the final day of school before summer break. After the competition, our popularity rose through the roof. Well, Minho and Jonghyun were popular from the start because of their looks, but now, even seniors wanted to date us. I hate to say this, but, it was kind of awesome to have girls falling head over heels for you. I still maintained my composure, because they went nuts when I acted like I didn't care. Weird, right?

I walked toward the bus stop to go back home. I stopped my tracks when I saw Soojung waited at the bus stop as well. The bus arrived and as she was trying to get onto the bus, a couple of boys ran from afar and accidentally pushed her when they were getting onto the bus. Due to my fast reflexes, I managed to catch her from behind. She muttered, "Thanks," without even turning back. I just smiled and got onto the bus too.

I sat behind her and I noticed she was spacing out most of the time. I wondered why. I still didn't have the courage to go and talk to her. Watching from the sidelines was fine for me now. She got off the bus when it arrived at her stop. I never took my eyes off her, trailing through the window after she got off. 

"Next year, I'll make you mine," I mumbled to myself in determination.

I realized that I couldn't just let her go like this. A man has to fight to get what he wants, right? I am Kim Myungsoo, I couldn't just back down without a fight. She stole my heart and I wasn't going to go easy on her then. After all, I felt happier and more alive, now that she was around. It was like a reason for me to live my life to the fullest just emerged.

"Now, you might not even notice me, but later, you'll see, I'll make you fall in love with me, Jung Soojung," I thought and smirked by myself as the bus sped away.

 

SORRY IT TOOK LONG. HEHE, I WAS BUSY WITH SCHOOL, BUT I MANAGED TO GET IT DONE! YAY! IDK IF THIS CAUSE I'M WRITING FROM A GUY'S POV. U GUYS EVEN SUBSCRIBED!!! OMG THANKS SO MUCH :D COMMENT TO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AITE? MYUNGSTAL FTW~