Chapter 1

It's Only Fair

You only had to open the front door an inch to find out that something was wrong. The fire alarm went of a couple more times before the apartment was silent but smoke still hung in the air. You made your way inside and closed the door quietly behind you. You slipped off your shoes and silently walked through the living room. You rounded the corner to the kitchen and stared at the chaos.
The counter was covered in ingredients, bowls, utensils, and cooking books. The smoke was bellowing out of the oven and a strong burnt smell filled your nose. The culprit had his back turned to you as he desperately tried to work on opening the window over the sink that appeared to be stuck. The second culprit, covered in flour and sitting on the floor, saw you though.
"Mama!" Jaylie squealed as she banged the wooden spoon on the pot.
Daehyun whipped around real fast to face you and you saw the panic in his eyes. You crossed your arms and gave him a questioning look.
"Okay." he said and held up his hands. "Don't panic."
You couldn't help but laugh at that considering how evident it was he was panicking. "Is that suppose to be dinner?" you asked and pointed at the oven.
He glanced at him before giving you a sheepish smile. "I don't think it's edible."
"No. Probably not." you amusingly agreed. "Get the window open. I'm going to order pizza."
His face lit up. "Oooo. Don't forget.."
"The cheesy breadsticks. I know." you told him. Then you pointed at him and indicated the kitchen.
He looked around at the mess and blushed before nodding. He turned around and managed to wench the window open to let the smoke out. Then he started cleaning up his mess. You picked Jaylie up and brushed her off the best you could before walking back to the living room. You grabbed your cell phone and called the local delivery place.
After you were done with the order, making sure to remember the breadsticks, you took Jaylie in to the bathroom. You filled the tub with a little bit of warm water before you stripped her out of her flour covered clothes. Then you carefully sat her in the tub. She squealed with delight at the water and kicked her legs. Then started smacking the water with her hands.You giggled as you grabbed the washcloth and wiped her clean. After doing her hair, you lifted her out of the tub and wrapped her in the towel. Then you carried her in to the nursery to put some clean clothes on her.
You headed back to the kitchen with Jaylie in your arms to see the progress Daehyun was making. The ingredients had been put away and oven was no longer smoking. He was furiously working at cleaning the dishes and you smiled at him.
"It's looking good." you said.
He turned and looked around the room. "Yeah. Go ahead and relax on the couch. I'll clean it all."
"Yes you will."
He clutched at his chest and opened his mouth wide, dramatically acting like he was in shock. "Yeah. It's only fair."
You laughed at his antics and shook your head. "Just hope you have it done before the food is delivered. Can't eat till it's done."
This time his face fell in real shock. "Okay, that's not fair."
You tapped your wrist playfully. "Tick, tock."
He briefly glared at you before turning back to the sink. His pace picked up even more and you bit back a giggle. Jaylie on the other hand didn't as her laugh filled the room.
"Glad you think it's funny." he jested, looking over his shoulder briefly to smile at her.
Jaylie bounced in your arms and let out another giggle.

You played with Jaylie on the living room floor and heard the doorbell ring. You answered the door, thanked the delivery person, and then carried it to the coffee table.
"Hmmm, smells so good!" you called out.
"Ha. Ha. Ha."
You placed a hand over your mouth to stifle a laugh. Then you tore a breadstick in to very tiny pieces for Jaylie. She happily ate them as you handed her one at a time.
"Jaylie loves her breadstick!"
"I can't hear you!"
Jaylie laughed and you smiled at her. "Is daddy funny?"
After a few minutes, Jaylie was fed and she sat on the floor, playing with her toys. Then Daehyun came in and fell on the couch with a grunt.
"Done." he proclaimed. "Do you need to inspect it before I'm allowed to eat?"
You chuckled and shook your head. "No. Dig in."
He quickly sat up with a huge grin and opened the pizza box. Then he frowned as he looked at it. "You didn't eat yet?" he questioned, seeing the whole pizza.
"Nope." you told him. "I was waiting for my husband."
"You didn't have to." he said and looked at you.
"I wanted to." You leaned over and gave him a quick peck. "Besides, it wouldn't seem fair to make you eat by yourself."
"Except I brought it on myself." he huffed.
"Why were you cooking a dinner?"
He sheepishly smiled at you. "I just... It's just... You've been under so much stress lately, that I..."
"You wanted to surprise me with a special dinner?"
He blushed and nodded.
"Very sweet."
A big smile formed on his face.
"But you did almost burn the apartment down."
He frowned and glared at you.
You giggled and playfully pushed him. "I'm joking." you reassured him.
When he didn't respond, you grabbed a cheesy breadstick and held it out for him. You saw his resolve waver for a moment before it completely broke and it quickly took it for you.
"Oh, so good." he moaned with a mouth full of food.
You rolled your eyes and grabbed a slice of pizza for yourself.

You quietly walked into the nursery and watched Daehyun standing by the crib. He had Jaylie laying in his arms as he swayed her and quietly sang her to sleep. When she was dozing off, he carefully laid her in the crib. He didn't move away though as you expected and instead, he leaned on the railing.
"Sorry daddy ruined the surprise for mommy." he quietly said. "Next time I will work even harder and make us a nice dinner."
You bit you bottom lip and continued standing there silently.
"You were great though. Beating on the pots. Definitely take after your daddy's music talent."
You rolled your eyes.
"When you get older, daddy will buy you a set of drums if you want."
You shook your head.
"Or you could take after daddy even more and sing. Then we can duet together."
You started smiling.
"Just the two of us though cause mommy can't sing."
You frowned.
"She sounds like a dying donkey."
You glared daggers and put your hands on your hips. "Maybe daddy wants to sleep on the couch."
He jumped and turned real fast, his eyes wide once more in panic today. "Oh... I... I..."
You sighed and smiled at him. "Come on. Let's go to bed."
The two of you settled in bed together and when Daehyun scooted to cuddle with you, you promptly rolled over so your back was facing him. It didn't deter him though as you felt him press up against you.
"Sorry." he murmured and lightly kissed the back of your neck.
"It's okay." you told him. "You're right, I can't sing. Hopefully she does take after you in that."
"I hope so too but not because of your singing."
You rolled over to face him. "What do you mean?"
"She's beautiful like her mother. She's smart like her mother. She's ambitious like her mother. She's sweet and caring like her mother." he listed, rambling on and on.
"Okay, okay." you giggled to cut him off.
He smiled at you. "She takes after you with everything which does make her perfect, but it'd be nice if I could see something of me in her. It's only fair that she sings like me."
"I agree." you tell him. "Though there is one thing I saw tonight that reminded me of you."
He piqued up, eager to hear. "What?"
"She loves cheesy breadsticks."
A huge, proud grin spread on his face. "That's my baby girl."