One

Seconds

I continue to stare at the flashy neon colored buildings which fade into just streaks of lights out the window of our company van as we swerve through Tokyo’s streets on our way back to the hotel.

I sit there stiff, bone-tired and a bit lost as I tell myself that it’s just because of exhaustion after Day 1 of our SMTown concert, but deep down I know what has kept my mind drifting elsewhere. I know what has kept me feeling empty inside. I look down at my hand, the same hand that touched her. Sigh.

“You should sleep early tonight hyung.” Changmin said as his fingers continue their typing on his phone. “You look like you’re stoned dead there,” he adds finally looking up from his phone to me, concern filled in his eyes.

“I’m fine really, just a bit tired I guess but I still have some juice left in me.” I shrugged off the comment.

“Who wouldn’t? I mean…” Changmin stops mid-sentence as he tries to reach  for his bottled water inside his backpack from under the seat then starts pulling out another bottled water, extending it towards me.

“I even feel like I’m about to collapse right here even though I’m just sitting down.” He continues as I take the bottle he was offering and gulp it down to its last drop.

“Hey…we’re almost to the hotel. Just hold it for a few more minutes Changmin-ah. I don’t want to carry you all the way to your room.” I stare at him pointedly. “We’ll both get a good night’s sleep tonight, we need it for tomorrow’s concert.” I add with a long sigh thinking that there’s still two more days to this concert.

“We surely deserve this night to sleep in after yesterday’s exhausting schedule. I just couldn’t sleep a wink last night. It was like my mind was still on working mode.” Changmin complains as I hear his phone buzz signaling a new message.

“Who’s texting you this late at night?” I ask curiously. “Is it Kyuhyun-ah? Is he asking you out for drinks this time of night? Isn’t he exhausted? Really, that dongsaeng is full of energy.” I mutter out thinking of one similar incident that happened last year with the two of them staying out after a concert.

Changmin was about to say something  but then just set it on hold as our van entered the hotel vicinity and stops just in front of the entrance door, a large number of fans already standing guard outside, their cameras in arm.

“It’s not Kyuhyunnie. He’s probably knocked out on his bed right now anyway.” Changmin finally says just as our door suddenly swings open. Cameras flashing from all angles, as hotel security try to keep the fans at bay, our manager signaling us to follow him inside. Stepping out of the van, our conversation was held on a pause as we make a bee line towards the elevator away from the prying eyes of the crowd.

“It’s Qiannie.” Changmin says in a hushed tone just as I was trying to get comfortable standing on the damn shaft. Hearing that familiar nickname made  me straighten my spine and lean forward eager to hear more.

“Oh?” I start off casually but my voice cracked a bit saying this.

“Victoria right?” I tried to act as if I didn’t know as I was met by questioning eyes. Like he was asking if I really didn’t know that known fact.

“What’s wrong? Victoria’s still up? Shouldn’t she be resting by now?” I ask the questions trying to sound like my normal self which wasn’t really working out well for me.

“Uh-huh. Well. She was just asking a bit of favor. But I’m dead tired to even give her a reply.” Changmin says as he slumps down on the floor of the elevator.

“Don’t be rude.” I tell him off as he stands back up.

“Well, she’s still up probably because of the travel. She’s usually like that; and it takes her a long time to sleep when she’s not familiar with her surroundings.” He adds as a yawn escapes his lips.

“Is that so? What favor is she asking about?” I ask passively letting him think I’m not really that interested with the topic.

“Well, it seems like the girls are hungry for something hot and tasty. They’re hungry.” He says this like I should also know this.

“She asked if I know a good restaurant here. The girls are craving for delcious food. She asked me to accompany her since she said I could speak the dialect.” Changmin snorted at this as he reads the message. “I’m not really familiar with this area so I guess I can’t help her.” He adds putting his phone back to his pocket.

“I know a great restaurant a block or two from here.” I blurt out immediately, too quickly in fact. An idea already forming inside my head as I look at Changmin’s form. “You could take her there. Our dongsaengs are probably hungry from the concert.” I comment, even though I already know what he’s about to say back.

“But I’m too tired to go anywhere hyung.” Exactly the words I thought he’d say.

“I could take her.” I quickly reply as planned, again I say it too quickly for my own good.

“Really hyung?” Changmin says not really sounding like a question but more of a confirmation. “I’ll tell her you’ll go with her then!” He quickly says as the elevator pinged to a halt on our floor. He typed in the message and hit send.

“Ah… I didn’t…” I stutter, trying to sound surprised as we step off the elevator and start towards our respected rooms.

“You’re really the best hyung! I’m sure she’s…” Changmin starts saying then suddenly stops in his track as he reads a message that he just received that I knew came from her.

“This is great! She be waiting for you in the 2nd lobby of the hotel two floors down, she’ll be waiting near the elevator in 20 minutes, if that’s okay with you?” Changmin reads the message to me as I just nod in agreement towards him.

“You better get ready hyung.” Changmin starts saying a he pushes me forward to my room.

“Yeah. Yeah. You owe me for this, you know that right?” I say as I insert my card key and open the door.

“Sure hyung. I’ll treat you to a scrumptious meal soon, but right now, I have a date with my bed.” Changmin says as he starts to close my door for me.

“Ha! I’ll hold you to that Changmin-ah. Good night!” I say as I shut the door completely, and as I hear him laugh behind the closed door.

“Now, what am I to do?” I whisper in the empty room.

 

Fresh from the shower and changed, I exit the elevator and step out into the empty lobby except for a television tuned in into the local news. The reception area without a personnel at the moment, light’s flickering across the lobby and into an empty corridor.

“Oppa!” An angel’s voice called out from behind me as I quickly turn towards it.

“Oh, Victoria-sshi. Sorry I took so long.” I replied trying to look apologetic.

“Ah, I wasn’t waiting that long really. And you shouldn’t really be the one apologizing. You could have been sleeping by now, if it wasn’t for us…I’m sorry.” She mumbled fast and softly, her head bowed down. Things are turning awkward quickly.

“No, it’s really no problem. I was hungry myself anyway.” I replied trying to ease her discomfort.

“Really?” She exclaimed, her eyes shining brightly.

“Really!” I tell her brightly. “So…should we get going then?” I asked smiling at her.

“Yes!” She answered, her eyes reflecting her change in mood, as a giggle escaped her lips.

“Let’s go then!” I exclaim, as if suddenly infected by her enthusiasm, as we started towards the elevator side by side.

“Thank you Yunho-oppa.” She said in a whispered note, a soft smile formed on her lips as she stepped into the elevator.

 

With the help of the hotel’s security and their company’s security aide Yunho and Victoria were able to avoid the prying eyes of the fans. Exiting through the back door towards the delivery parking area. The two donning an all black outfit, a hoodie and cap to better disguise their identities.

“We’ll take it from here hyung.” Yunho started saying some distance away from the hotel. “With a big guy like you following us around, we’ll be found out much sooner by the fans.” He reasoned out.

“Are you sure?” Their security aide asked as he looked left and right on the empty alley.

“Yeah hyung. We’ll be careful, we won’t take long really. And I’ll take care of Victoria-sshi.” Yunho said as he started walking away expecting Victoria to follow him.

“Thank you oppa. We’ll try to keep a low profile and I know I’m in good hands. Thank you again.” Victoria added as she bent down into a quick bow before rushing off to ctach up to Yunho’s quick strides.

“I’ll be waiting on the exit when you get back! Call me when you get into trouble!” Their security aide called out to them as the two turned into a corner.

 

“Cha! Let’s go!” Yunho chimed in like a kid as he heard Victoria let out a giggle beside him.

“What’s so funny?” Yunho inquired as they finally reached the main road still filled with people this late at night.

“This. It’s like an adventure, and it’s exciting, we’re like sneaking around on the dead pan of night like spies.” she started saying. “Plus I never heard you like this oppa, like a kid.” She continued.

“Well, it does feel like I’m a kid on an adventure. It’s different from my closed door life as an idol.” He murmured, walking beside Victoria but a bit ahead so he could block the throngs of people from bumping into her as they turned again to another street now more crowded.

“Yeah, I can understand what you’re saying oppa.” She replied as she kept her head bent down as they continued on walking.

 

They walked on for a couple of minutes in silence. With Yunho stopping for a second or so to look up where they were exactly until he finally found the right street.

“We’re almost there if I’m not mistaken and if I remember the way right.” Yunho said as they again turned into a corner where lines of restaurants are displayed.

“Oooh! There’s all kinds of food here. I want to try them all!” Victoria squealed as they passed through some Japanese restaurants.

“Another time maybe, we don’t really have much time. That hyung might be worried were still not back in the hotel.” Yunho said as he tried to hide a smile trying to escape, finding her really cute and amusing.  When finally he stopped in his tracks and faced Victoria. “This is it, this is the restaurant.” He added as he opened the door into the restaurant.

 

Having the waitress take their order of buldak (spicy chicken), gimbap and  jajangmyeon the two sat opposite each other on a table concealed behind a post.

“Does f(x) usually eat this time of night?” Yunho started asking when they were finally alone.

“We usually eat anytime of the day really, and we eat plenty. The girls are still growing so they need to keep eating, and I have no problem with that. It’s healthy.” Victoria rambled on clearly the topic involving her members is something she’s confident on talking about. “Even Soojung-ah. You wouldn’t think she eats a lot but she loves meat.” She added  as a smile crept on her face just thinking of her member.

“That was what I was about to comment on. How come she looks so slim with all that food she takes in?” Yunho asked intrigued.

“It’s in her genes I guess. Have you seen her unnie?  I guess it’s like that.” She replied .

“Well, with this tiring business we have and our hectic schedules I guess our health is really important, our food is important.” He added with Victoria nodding in response as she started fiddling with her hair.

“How come you didn’t ask your manager to take you out? Or Kyuhyun?” Yunho asked trying to change topic after a few seconds of silence between them.

“Well, our manager also had a busy day and I wouldn’t want to disturb him any further, so I told him I’ll go out with Kyuhyunnie and Changmin-ah. He said it was fine and to text him when I get back after my errand. But then Kyuhyun said he was playing starcraft with the guys and Changmin, well, you know.” She explained, her face also moving filled with expression.

“The girls were tired and hungry from the flight and the concert so I couldn’t really take them out. I am sorry again for the trouble oppa and thank you.” She added again with her sincerest smile.

“And again, it’s no trouble.” Yunho commented reflecting a smile of his own. An awkward silence then fell upon them once again.

And just when  seconds were to become a minute a laugh broke their reverie as Yunho erupted into fits of laughter. Victoria looking up and seeing him laughing couldn’t help it but giggle along.

“It’s really awkward between us right?” Yunho started saying in between his chuckles. “It’s the first time we’re hanging out.” He added.

“It is.” Victoria replied silently as she flushed, trying to hide her face with her hair. “Why were you laughing a while ago anyway?” She asked, looking up at him behind her hair.

“I just thought of something about you.” He replied, looking straight at her.

“Me? What’s so funny about me? Is there something on my face?” She asked looking appalled, as she took out her phone using it as a mirror.

“There’s nothing on your face. It’s… it’s perfect.” Yunho almost whispered. Victoria froze a second and looked at him, not sure how to respond to what he just said.

“I just noticed that when it becomes awkward between us I ask a question. You then answer my question really quickly and thoroughly, not leaving anything in between, it’s welcoming, like we’re close friends, friends who could talk about everything. Then right after, we again become awkward like we don’t really know each other. I find it really funny, that’s all.” Yunho explained trying not to stutter in process.

“Oh.” Was only what Victoria could muster to say.

“Your expressions are really cute. And your Korean’s really better now.” He commented. “And…I’d really like it if we could be friends.” He quickly added observing how she would react.

“You know…Since were in the same company. I know we talk sometimes but we are almost of the same year and we do have the same, well, almost same circle of friends right?” He volunteered the explaination as she still couldn’t muster a word. He was unsure why he was even explaining himself.

“That would be great oppa. I’d also like it if we could be friends.” She answered shyly.

“That’s great! So were friends now right? No more awkward moments.” Yunho exclaimed as he reached out and pat her hand which were on the table.

“We are! And we’ll see about the other one.” She replied with a chuckle.

Just then their order arrived interrupting them, as the waitress placed their order in between them, bowing right after.

“Wow! It looks so good!” Victoria exclaimed after inspecting the bags.

“It does. I’ve tried their food here before and it’s the best!” Yunho chimed in. “Well…We should get back now. We don’t want that to become cold.” He added pointing at the bags.

“You’re right oppa. Let’s go then. I’m ready.” Victoria replied cheerfully as she stood from her seat with Yunho doing the same process.

“I can carry them myself.” Victoria says as she tried to snatch their purchase from Yunho’s hand.

“I insist. I am a guy after all. It would hurt my ego you’d say otherwise.” He says flashing a mega-watt smile at her.

“Fine.” She replies curtly with a pout which made him smile.

“We should hurry now. That hyung might be wondering where we are.” Yunho says as he opens the door for Victoria. “And it’s chilly tonight, we would not want to catch a cold with the concert.” He added following after her.

“Oppa, watch…” He heard Victoria say just as a group of girls who were about to come in the restaurant bumped into him.

“Oh. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” He quickly said in Japanese after regaining his composure and checking on their purchases.

“It’s okay. We were not looking in our way too.” The three girls said in unison as they finally had a good look at him.

“Oh. You’re…” The first girl stuttered pointing at Yunho.

“Ah… I’m sorry again. We better get going.” Yunho quickly cut in as he looked at Victoria and gave her a slight nod, and then they started walking away from the group without another backward glance. Realizing the situation could go sticky in a few minutes.

“The other girl already had her phone on her hand oppa. We better hurry, they might be already telling their friends.” Victoria murmured as she took hold of her cap, tightening it in place and hurrying her steps. Also realizing trouble erupt any minute.

“They’re following us.” Yunho murmured not trying to alarm her much as he puts a hand on her back. “I think they recognized me.” He added as he quickened his strides.

“Do you think they saw me?” She asked in between heavy breathing.

“I don’t think so. They were starstruck with me.” He says trying to disperse the growing concern in her eyes.

“I saw them following us in the reflection of one of the stores we just passed. This is not good. We should hurry.” He tried to say as calmly as he could.

“Yunho-oppa!” Someone shouted from behind them, as they heard footsteps running towards them, as they were just a corner away from the hotel.

“Run!” Yunho exclaimed as suddenly he grabs Victoria’s hand and tugged her along. He didn’t want to get her exposed. The two of them being seen together only by themselves at this time of night would create a scandal, even if only was a friendly walk. He had to protect her; he had to get her inside the hotel as fast as possible.

And just like that he was again stilled in time as he felt her warm hand. Felt its softness. As he looked back at Victoria, he saw her bewildered eyes, her cap falling off and her beautiful hair spilling out from it as her other hand tries to keep it all in place. open, ragged from running. She was beautiful, he thought. He again had a few seconds look of an angel.

 “Come on you two!” A shout came from near the exit of the hotel. Their security aide, holding open the exit door, two other security agents already in stand by ready to block the already crowd of fans gathering as Yunho and Victoria raced towards the door.

“C’mon!” Yunho shouted as he pulled Victoria finally into the door with the fans just right on their tails.

“What took you two so long?” Their security asked; as he finally closed shut the door.

“We got caught up as you could see.” Yunho replied sitting down on a corner, trying to even his breathing, his other hand still holding hers.

“Well, you two got lucky I’d say.” The security relied, laughing at what just happened.

“Yeah we did.” Yunho said in between breaths as finally he got a good look at Victoria sitting beside him. Her face hidden from him.

“Are you okay Victoria-sshi?” He asked tugging her hand.

“Hey, are you okay?” Yunho asked again as he carefully placed their bags on the floor and put his now free hand on her back, as he thought she was crying.

Then he heard her laughing out loud.

“Yes, I’m fine oppa.” Victoria said still unable to stop her laughs.

“I thought there for a second…” Yunho muttered as she finally let go of his hand to cover .

“I’m okay really! It was great fun!” She replied cheerfully like nothing happened just a moment ago as Yunho couldn’t help himself but laugh along for a minute.

“You two should get going now. You had more than that I could handle today.” Their security aide said, shooing them towards the elevator.

“Thanks for the save hyung!” Yunho said as he stepped in front of her to offer her a hand to stand up.

“Thank you oppa! And goodnight!” Victoria said accepting his helping hand and turning towards their aide to respond.

“You two are welcome. Just promise me no more of that for the rest of the concert.” The security aide replied as he walked them towards the elevator and waited for them to enter.

“Yes!” Yunho and Victoria said in unison just as the doors closed.

 

“That was fun.” Yunho commented as he leaned back against the cold surface of the shaft.

“Yeah, it was. I had a great time tonight oppa. Thanks to you.” She replied adding a quick bow.

“You don’t really have to bow to me every time we see each other, since were now friends, Okay?” Yunho said.

“Okay then oppa.” Victoria replied with a smile just as the elevator stopped and opened its door. “This is my floor, I better get going.” She added glancing at the door then at Yunho.

“Well…I’ll see you later then. At the concert.” Yunho replied, smiling back at her.

“I’ll see you oppa.” Victoria muttered as she stepped out of the elevator then turned back to face Yunho. “Good night oppa and thank you for the adventure.” She said, smiling up at him.

“Good night Victoria-sshi.” He said with a wave as the elevator started to close. Good night angel.

 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hey everyone!

sorry for the delay...but i hope you enjoy reading chapter 1!~

comments/suggestions are welcome here!

cheers!!!~

-jerbam