A Night to Remember

Sticky Candy

Hi. I don't know if you people are bored hearing sorry from authors but here I am, I apologized for the late update. But I wasn't free for most of the time, so yeah. 

I hope you enjoy reading this! 

And I'm sorry for the grammatical errors.

Here you go!

 

----------

 

     "Oh yeah, last night mom told me my cousins are going to stay at our place for three days."

     "That girl you always talk about?"

     "Yeah. I can't wait to see her though."

     "Can she speak Korean?" 

     L.joe laughed. "Of course! How many times have I told you that, silly?" 

     "Silly? I'm hanging this up, you chicken!"

     

     The midnight call finally ended between the two best friends. Chungah layed on her bed, thinking about their previous two hours conversation on the phone. L.joe's voice still stuck in her head, making it hard for her to sleep despite it was already 20 minutes past midnight and she still has to go to school tomorrow. 

     She remembered L.joe once told her how beautiful his cousin is with her big brown eyes that is so mesmerizing, and how sweet her voice is and of course, the words that she didn't wish to hear just had to come out of L.joe's mouth. The words she wished L.joe would never say.

     "I have liked her since childhood and I still like her."

     She still remembered how that words brought a big pang to her poor heart, as she cried her eyes out every night and in the end she had to deal with L.joe's question in the morning as to why her eyes were so puffy (and red sometimes). That was the night she wouldn't want to remember again because it only brought the memories back. 

 

--

 

     Three days after the night, after eating her breakfast and bid a goodbye to her mother as usual, she walked to her school that took only 10 minutes. While enjoying the morning walk to school, a guy bumped into her and she recognized it as L.joe's closest senior. She quickly helped him to collect back the scattered papers on the ground.

     "Oh, I'm sorry!" He said a little too quick. "Wait, you're Yoo Chungah right?"

     "Yeah, hi! It's been a long time umm Chanyeol ssi?" She mentally face-palmed herself, feeling embarrass for not knowing what to address him.

     "Chanyeol ssi? Haven't I told you to call me oppa?" He smiled, already forgot that he was chasing after Baekhyun who has successfully stole one of his CD collections. Baekhyun has probably arrived at school, so he guess his only option was to walk with Chungah because walking alone felt a bit lonely.

     "But-" 

     "No buts please!" 

     "Fine. You're just like Byunghun." she looked down, kicking the pebbles on the ground.

     He chuckled. "You guys are more alike. It's so obvious, don't you think?" 

     She stopped walking, feeling quite confused. And when she noticed how Chanyeol was moving his eyes up and down as if he was checking her out, it suddenly clicked. She glared the moment Chanyeol chuckled at her for being too dumb. Not wanting to hear him any longer, she walked forward a bit too fast after stepping on his feet hard.

     "I'm not short okay. It's because you're overly tall!" She shouted.

 

---

 

     It was almost two when L.Joe called and asked to meet at the library. Feeling quite excited, she quickly finished her work. Eventhough they had already talked a little during break time, meeting up again wouldn't be a big deal since she was really, really looking forward to see the love of her life. I mean, who wouldn't want to meet their crush?

     When she entered the library, L.Joe was already sitting at the far back of their usual table. What was different was that, this time he was on his phone, looking so happy as she saw the smile that never seem to want to leave his lips while texting. Curiousity could be seen in her eyes, if only L.joe was looking at her.

     "Look who's smiling oh so happily here."

     Hearing that, his eyes finally left his phone as it focused on the person who had already seated comfortably across him. Letting out a chuckled, he said, "You like my smile, so I don't see the reason why I should frown instead," and winked.

     She rolled her eyes, acting like it was nothing when her heart was actually racing a little faster than normally while feeling butterflies in her stomach. Pushing away L.Joe's wink that seemed to have struck on her head, she tried asking him who he was texting with while sounding as nochalant as ever.

     "Who's that anyway?"

     "Lauren."

     One second after the name left L.Joe's mouth, Chungah felt like the world just came crashing down. Her face changed to a frown for a second, fotunately L.Joe did not see and she quickly put back her smile. It was only the last three nights that L.Joe told him about Lauren and now she's already here? She felt like the time past by really quick.

     "You never told me she's in Korea already."

     "I was planning to tell you last night, but Lauren wanted to chat so.. yeah." 

     "You could just tell me this morning instead of calling me to meet up here." she responded. 

     "Well, you see, I was planning on spending the evening with you, Lauren and also his brother. So are you coming with us or not? They'll be here in a few minutes."

     There shouldn't be a lot to think about whether she should join or not because they've spent most of the time hanging out with each other but this time was different. It was different to her, so much different from hanging out with friends. She will have to see them laughing, see them playing around, see them talking and of course, beeing the clingy girl Lauren is, Chungah will have to see her linking arms with L.Joe and have to hear people mistaken them as a couple.

     So, intead of saying a no like what her brain was telling her to, she found herself saying a yes, followed by an awkward smile that seemed force. oh, what trouble am I getting myself into?

     Not long after they talked, L.Joe's cousin came approaching them with a warm greetings. Lauren was aking for a handshake and Chungah could only do the same. Not wanting to create the first bad imppression by being rude, she added with a "Nice to meet you, I'm  Chungah."

 

--

 

     It was almost half past five now and they are walking around the park, with L.Joe and Lauren leading the way. It almost pained Chungah to see how easy Lauren could link her arm with L.Joe and talked so freely, while she was stuck with her brother, Ben. It's not that Chungah doesn't like spending time with Ben, he's quite a funny guy and easy to talk to. But what  was most bothering was that the 'couple' walking ahead of them couldn't keep quiet with their laugh and they even bicker too. 

Okay, Chungah was jealous.

     She wondered what they were talking about, she wondered why they were laughing, she wondered why L.Joe was so happy to be with her and she wondered why she couldn't be like Lauren. Lauren is pretty, alright. She has a gorgeous smile too. And it is quite funny to hear her speak Korean in American accent. But overall she is a girl of every guy's dream.

     With that thinking, it made her wonder all over again whether L.Joe was still crushing on her. It was two years ago that L.Joe had told everything of what he felt for Lauren. And it took her almost one year to stop crying everynight over the fact that L.Joe was so oblivious to her feelings.

     She had given him hints by once saying she liked him on the phone during their midnight call. But of course, L.Joe just brushed it off as if she was not serious enough and thought of it as friends. Instead of answering her confession honestly, he responded by saying, "You know I liked you too!" and laughed after that. The next morning though, she did her best trying to ignore the feeling of rejection she had felt the night before.

     All her trains of thoughts were cut off when she heard the melodious laugher of the shorter boy in front of her. But she regretted it quickly seeing the unpleasent sight in front, unfortunately for her. This made her wonder again, what had Lauren done to make L.Joe pinched her cheek?

Chungah was jealous again.

     Ben was laughing, too. The three of them were laughing. This only resulted in her laughing because it was just too funny when she found out she was the only one who felt so left out. What were they laughing about? What was so funny? All these questions run through her head. It was a time like this that she regretted for thinking about the past too much and now she doesn't even know what they were on about. However, she still laughed, despite not knowing anything.

     "Wait, I forgot to buy something!"

     They looked at L.Joe questioningly. "What is it?"

     "I'll just find some store nearby. Lauren will go with me. Take care of Chungah, Ben!"

     When Ben just nodded, L.Joe added, "We will be back in 20 minutes!"

     It pleased Chungah when she heard L.Joe's concern of her. It was just a simple word that anyone could say, but hearing that straight from L.Joe's own mouth brought a small impact towards her poor heart that skipped a beat during the time.

     "Mind telling me what's on your mind?"

     It was after Ben broke the silence that Chungah was finally back to reality and realized that she had been quiet the time after both L.Joe and Lauren left. What's on my mind? There's a lot of things going on on my mind. Byunghun's on my mind, Byunghun this and Byunghun that. 

     "L.Joe, isn't it?"

     Hearing that made her stopped walking and everything around her seemed to be stopped moving and continued to stay in place. Did he find out? Am I too obvious? Looking up at the taller boy, she saw nothing but the glint of curiousness in his eyes. 

     "How did you know?" she asked, voice so soft that could only be heard by the both of them. 

     "I caught you staring," he stated. The fact that she knew she was caught, and the fact that Ben was the one who caught her staring at L.Joe already made her mind went panic. What if L.Joe was the one who caught her?

     Not knowing what to say, because everything didn't seem like how she wanted it to be; to keep her feelings a secret from everyone, she only continued to walk and kept shut whilst her mind wandered around for the milionth time that day.

     They sat down on a bench under the tree nearby. Ben was doing the talking most of the time and she just listened to everything he said. From how he spent his life in America to how he learnt korean and lived with L.Joe and about his friends in America and back to how he managed to live in Korea for a year and a half. Ben was a funny guy, so he joked around too.

     "So, when did you start liking L.Joe?" Ben asked out of the blue.

     It took a minute for her to register what question had she been asked and it almost felt like after hundreds of year that she managed to say the answer. She's glad Ben was understanding and didn't rush things. "Years ago, when I attended his birthday party."

     "Why do you like him?"

     Another question was shooted. Do I have a reason for liking Byunghun?

     If she was to be very honest, she could've listed everything about Byunghun that made her heart went crazy and Ben would have to hear every word that came out of without feeling like losing interest anytime soon afer she started. But the time didn't allow her to as L.Joe came and interrupted their talk.

     "Did you guys wait for long?"

     "Not really." Chungah replied.

     "Let's go back now, it's getting late," L.Joe said.

 

--

 

     The sky was getting darker as it was almost 7 PM. Both L.Joe and Chungah were walking silently. Ben had left with Lauren to spend the night watching movies while L.Joe had offerred Chungah that he would walk her home since it was already late. 

 

Chungah was thinking how to break the silence.

L.Joe was thinking how to start a conversation.

 

    Their footsteps were heard. The cold breeze in the night were felt. Heads faced forward and all they could see was the dark street that would lead to Chungah's house under the dim moonlight. Everything just felt awkward in a sudden and they hated it. Why were they not talking even a word? Taking enough courage, L.Joe slowly slipped his hand beside Chungah's cold one and intertwined their fingers.

     Instantly, Chungah snapped out of her thoughts when she felt the warmth of L.Joe's hand. The hand that she had yearn to hold for years. And L.Joe have just done the right thing to hold her own without having to be asked. 

   

     "Are you tired?" asking it softly, L.Joe thought it was lame to start a conversation by asking that. 

     "No."

     "Why won't you talk to me then? You're quiet now, I don't like it."

     Beeing the straight forward guy he is, he didn't know what effect he had given her by stating what he felt. L.Joe could be mean at times, and Chungah would feel butterflies in her stomach when L.Joe changed into a concern and caring guy. 

     "I could say the same to you. Why won't you talk to me?"

     "Well, we're talking now, aren't we?"

     And they laughed.

     "Anyway, what is it that's bothering you? I have seen you spacing out a few times this evening," L.Joe questioned.

     "You did?" I thought he forgot about me when he was with Lauren. "Just.. about things."

     "Like what?"

     What do you mean by 'like what?' Byunghun? Of course all the things I was thinking are related to you, stupid chicken. Not knowing what to say, she thought that shutting would be the best option since she can't tell lies because L.Joe will find out one second after she said it. L.Joe's stare is not helping either. It will only make her feel uncomfortable and she would spit out the truth everytime he does that.

     "Hey come on, don't you wanna tell me?" 

     "I don't want to."

     "Why? Aren't I your great best friend that you love so much and always tell everything to me?" he wiggled his eyebrows only to received a smack on his side after that.

     "Sadly I don't trust chickens," she said, faking a cry. 

     "You rascal!" he laughed. And they were back to beeing talkative as they walked to Chungah's home while swinging their joined fingers at times.

 

--

 

     Upon reaching her house, they bid a good bye to each other but Chungah has sensed that L.Joe has something else to say and so, she waited patiently infront of the gate. At this moment, the L.Joe she knew doesn't seem like him as he was standing there looking like in a deep thoughts. What was he thinking about?

     "Byunghun-ah?" she waved her hands infront of the boy as a gesture of trying to bring him back to the world. And it worked.

     "Do you have something to say? If not, I'll go inside since it's getting cold."

     "Wait, yes I have." he said, voice getting softer.

     Chungah looked at him weirdly. What is going on? What's wrong with him? She looked at L.Joe again, but this time straight in his eyes. Not even two seconds lasted, she found L.Joe avoided her gaze for a split second and looked back at her. 

     "Well?" she enquired.

     Slowly L.Joe took out something from the plastic bag he was holding since he came back from the store and Chungah had only noticed the bag now. Was she thinking too much for not noticing the bag before?

     "This is for you," he handed her a medium size red square box, eyes curving upwards as he smiled.

     Chungah stared blankly at the box in L.Joe's hand. When his words finally sink in, unknowingly a small smile that appeared on her face turned into a broad one. Shyly, she took the box from L.Joe and thanked him by giving him a hug. When she was about to let go, L.Joe only tightened the hug which made her heart fluttered with his sudden action. 

     "Open it now."

     He's acting so weird. What's his reason for giving that to her anyway? Not wanting to waste time and also partly because she was just damn curious as to what was inside the red box, she opened it and took out a bottle full of candies that she had come to like.

     "Sticky candy? Oh my god, I've been craving for this lately!" She exclaimed, grinning.

     "Really?" L.Joe laughed. "Why don't you eat it now?"

     "Do I have to eat this infront of you? You're so weird Byunghun, do you know that?" 

     She turned the cap and picked one of the candies and popped it in . She even offered some to L.Joe but he said no, saying that he bought some for him too. 

     "Has it ever crossed your mind that the words carved in the middle of the candies are what I am meant to say?" 

     "W-what?" she mentally slapped herself for not paying too much attention to the words before. 

     She suddenly felt the curiousity rising as she wondered what was written in it. Could this be the reason as to why L.Joe was acting so unusual moments ago? She scanned through the colourful candies and something caught her eyes as it went wide the second she found out.

     Are you serious, Byunghun?

     She couldn't believe what she saw. She could feel the tingling sensation that travelled around her body. When she looked up at L.Joe, only to find him smiling sheepishly, wasn't even helping at all as her stomach kept doing back flips everytime she caught L.Joe's smile. Her breath shortened and all she could think of was the word that seemed to have stuck on her mind.

     

 

     'I ♥ You'

 

 

"It's true, I have loved you since that night."

     

 

 

Before she could enter her house, something soft was pressed against her left cheek for only a second, and that was the moment when she felt nothing is much more important than beeing reminded by what L.Joe had done.

 

 

 

Chungah smiled, and smiled. And that was all she did for the rest of the night.

 

 

-----

 

This story is dedicated to my new friend. :]