Misunderstanding.

Typical

Amber Liu smiled down at the little boy sleeping peacefully on her lap. She played with his hair affectionately as she watched him sleep. She had raised him mostly on her own, getting help from Victoria, Kris and Kai. Liu Jaehun liked to ask questions, and she would never forget the question he asked her not one week ago when they was having their weekly dinner at the Wu household with Kai. 

"Mommy? Who's my appa?" 

What was she to say? Was she to tell him that his father didn't even know he existed? Was she to say that his father was a genius billionaire business man who's face is known throughout Korea and China? Was she to tell him that his father was currently the most eligible bachelor at the wondrous age of 25? The last she heard of Oh Sehun was when Kai and Kris secretly talked about him and his scandal with the heir to the popular Wei Hotel in China about a year ago. She was currently 27 years old and a single parent. She worked with Kai at Kim Entertainment and was able to support her and Jaehun sufficiently. Despite dressing a little more feminine, she continued to don her signature cropped hair and bright smile, even though her closest friends could see the sadness behind the smile. 

And it was because of the handsome Oh Sehun. 

She still couldn't get him out of her mind after all these years and she figured that she wouldn't ever be able to. He was the love of her life--she couldn't deny that. She remembers every single detail of their messy break up because it had hurt her--so much. 

"Sehun, you need to understand that I need you sometimes, too!" she said, tears falling. 

20 year old Sehun, who had lost a potential business deal because of his girlfriend's consecutive calls to his cell phone, loosened his tie, looking frustratedly at the older woman. "You need to understand that sometimes I'm busy!" He sneered. 

"I'm busy too! But I always make time for you!" 

He scoffed, "You? I couldn't tell since you're always with those guy friends of yours! You, Kai and Kris hyung seem awfully close these days." 

"What are you saying?" She yelled, throwing a pillow at him. 

"I'm saying that I'm tired of hearing that my girlfriend is with some guy! I don't want to be there for you when you always have some guy there for you! I hear that you're just some girl who flirts with guys so much that I'm starting to believe it!" he yelled, tugging his hair. She furiously wiped the tears that fell harder. She searched his eyes for any sign of remorse for the harsh words and when she found none, she walked out the door, cell phone in hand. She called Victoria and asked her to pick her up. She waited at the bus stop. He didn't even come after her. The days that followed were torture. She stayed in Victoria's shared apartment with Kris and spent most of her time either crying and venting to Victoria or angrily playing basketball with Kris. After 2 weeks with not so much as a call from him, she decided to confront him. She went to their old apartment, only to find it empty. His stuff was gone. She asked the landlord and he had said that Sehun left. Her heart broke even more. He hated her that much. She packed her things from the apartment and left. Kai had picked her up from the apartment and accompanied her to the doctor's office because she was frequently throwing up her breakfast. That day, she discovered she was 2 months pregnant with the child of Oh Sehun. She decided to raise the kid on her own, Sehun didn't seem to give a crap about her anyway. He didn't tell anyone he was leaving. It took Kris months of calls and meetings with Lay to discover that Sehun was in China, working on a new branch. 

Amber wiped the tear that fell and kissed her baby boy's head. She felt him stir before she examined his face. He really was a carbon copy of Sehun, except for his bright smile that matched hers. His round eyes were the exact same as his father's that she always loved. At 4 years old, Liu Jaehun was a brave and intelligent kid. He knew how to read books because Kris had taught him how to read at the age of 2 and he knew he liked to dance because Kai had taught him how to dance at age 3. He was young, but knew he was supposed to protect his wonderful mother because that was what his uncle Kris and uncle Kai had taught him. He didn't have a father, and Kris and Kai were the closest things to a father he could ever get, so he loved them to death. 

Suddenly, she felt him stir. He fluttered his eyes open and gave his mother a cute grin (a couple teeth were missing). "Mommy! I had a great dream!" 

She smiled. "What was it about?" 

"A dragon kidnapped mommy and I got to ride on a horse and save you by beating the dragon!" 

She laughed, "Whoa! My hero!" she said, kissing his cheek. 

He grinned. "Mommy! I want cookies!" 

"Hm, let's go to the market, then! After, we can call uncle Kai to take us to uncle Kris and Auntie Vic's okay?" 

He cheered. "Yay! Uncle Kai is going to pick me up!" 

She laughed and patted his . "Go on, go get changed." He sprinted (as fast as a 4 year old could sprint) to his bedroom and opened his drawer, pulling out an Abercrombie sweater. Amber watched amusedly as he tried to put his head through the arm hole. "Come on baby boy, let mommy help you." 

"Okay mommy!" he said, "But, I'm not a baby!" 

She helped him with his Calvin Klein jeans. "Of course not." She pulled a Gilly Hicks beanie on his head. "You're my little man, am I right?" He slipped on his customized Vans as he nodded. For a four year old, he wore some pretty expensive clothes. Well, it wasn't exactly a surprise because he was the one and only favorite nephew of Kris Wu, head of Wu Corp, and Kim Jongin, the CEO and founder of Kim Entertainment. She held out a hand for him to take as she grabbed her purse and opened the door. He happily held her hand as they walked to the nearby market. Reaching the market, she pulled a cart. "Do you want to sit in the basket?" He shook his head. 

"Ani, I'm a big boy." She smiled lightly at him as she had him hold onto the edge of the cart. After putting in a couple boxes of his favorite Pororo drink, she felt a tug at her leg. "Mommy, cookies!" he said, running around the corner to the next isle. She laughed as she followed after him, only to find him bowing to a tall man in a suit. "I'm sorry ahjusshi!" 

The man chuckled and crouched down to his level. "It's okay," he said, ruffling his hair. "It was an accident." 

Jaehun raised his head and grinned at the man. "I like you, ahjussi! My name is Jaehun. I'm 4 years old!" 

The man laughed lightly as he stuck a hand out. "Hi there, Jaehun. I'm--" 

Amber rushed to the man, already bowing at a 90 degree angle. "I'm very sorry for my son, sir." 

The man rubbed the back of his neck as he chuckled. She was starting to think that it was awfully familiar. "It's nothing, miss. Your son is very cute." 

She raised her head. "Thank you" She eyed him and gasped. "Sehun..." she whispered. 

His eyes widened. "Amber..."

"Ahjusshi, you know my mommy? Isn't she pretty?" He asked, smiling up at his beautiful mother.

"Very..." he whispered.

"Jaehun, can you go grab the cookies?" she asked. The boy nodded happily and skipped off to grab his beloved chocolate chip cookies.

Sehun cleared his throat. "H-how are you?" 

She smiled lightly. "I'm fine. You?"

"I'm great."

Well, that hurt. He was great without her, while she was a mess without him. "Do you--ahem, do you want to grab a cup of coffee?" 

"I-I can't." he said, "I have an important meeting in 10 minutes." 

She laughed bitterly, "Typical. Well, I wouldn't want to impose. Goodbye." she said, calling to Jaehun and walking to the counter. 

Typical. He hated that word. She had said it so bitterly. He wanted nothing more than to chase after her, but his feet would not move. The truth was that there was no meeting. He had given himself the rest of the day off. He just couldn't face her after what he had said. He knew what he said all those years ago was wrong. He walked to the cash register and paid for his ramen. He went to his car, and spotted her at the front of the store, waiting. It had started to lightly rain and he pulled up beside her. "I can give you a ride home." 

She faked a smile. "No, thank you. You have a meeting." 

"I can really--" 

"Uncle Kai!" Jaehun shouted, running into the arms of the tall man who parked beside him. 

"Hey bud! Have you been protecting your mother?" Kai asked, picking up the toddler. The boy nodded eagerly. "Good job. Noona! Let's go! Kris hyung and Vic noona are waiting!" 

"Yeah, mommy! Uncle Kris and Auntie Vic are waiting!" Jaehun yelled.

"That's my ride," she said, facing Sehun and walking away. Kai turned around and walked with Jaehun in his arms towards his car. 

Jaehun turned his head to Sehun and smiled. "Bye ahjusshi! We should hang out!" 

Sehun smiled slightly at the boy and waved back to him. "Who are you talking to, bud?" Kai asked. 

"Sehun ahjusshi!" 

Kai froze and looked at Amber. "Sehun?" She nodded. "Oh Sehun?" she nodded again. "You have to tell him, noona." 

She balled her hand. "Why should I? He pretty much said what he needed to when he up and left." 

Kai started the car. "Noona..." 

"No, Jongin. You can't tell him either." 


Sehun was still frazzled at his meeting with her just a week ago. He hadn't seen her for 5 years and she was probably married with a kid. He frowned. He did not like the idea of her being married. He was slightly relieved that it wasn't Kai or Kris by the way Jaehun called them with the title "uncle". He loved her. He always knew that he would always love her. He thought about Jaehun. It was odd that Jaehun was already 4. Amber and Sehun were together 5 years ago, so it would at least be a year before she got married. So, how on earth was the boy 4 years old? Was what his old secretary told him true?

He sat in his study, thinking. He realized that he could just utilize the resource known as friends. He dialed Kai's number. He had known Kai since they were in high school and they were extremely close, but after his fight with Amber, he cut everyone out of his life. "Hello?" 

"Hey, it's me." 

"Sehun? Is that you?" 

"Yeah, are you busy?" 

"No, I'm just playing with my nephew with Kris hyung. Why?" 

"Can we meet up?" 

"Sure, where?" 

"Coffee shop from high school." 

"Got it. I'm bringing Kris hyung." 

"Fine. See you in a few." 

"Bye." Kai said, hanging up the phone. He turned to Kris. "That was Sehun." he whispered. "We're going to meet up with him." 

Kris nodded and told Victoria and Amber they had something at the company to handle. "That's fine. I'll hang out with Jaehun." Amber said, waving them off. 

The drive to the coffee shop was short. The handsome men entered the shop, only to find their long lost friend at their old booth in the back. "Hey hyung. Jongin." the man said coolly. 

"Oh Sehun, you better have an explanation as to why you left for 5 years without any type of contact." Kai said. 

"I had a business deal." he said, shrugging. 

Kai balled his fist. "You left noona for a business deal?" 

"Ah, Amber. I wanted to talk about her actually." 

"What about her?" Kris said, raising an eyebrow. 

"Where did Jaehun come from?" 

Kai laughed nervously. "From Amber noona!" 

"Really, where did he come from? I calculated, if he's 4, that means she got pregnant with him 5 years ago." 

"That is... correct." Kris said. 

"So, she did cheat on me." he concluded. "I should have known." 

Kai grabbed his collar, angrily. "Friend or not, I don't appreciate you putting her in that light." 

Kris clasped a hand on his shoulder. "Jongin..." 

"Hyung I can't just--" 

"Jongin." Kris repeated. Kai sighed and let go of his collar. "We can't say anything." 

Sehun scoffed, standing up. "You didn't deny it. She did cheat on me. I guess Hwayeon was right." 

Kai couldn't take it and lunged at him, tackling him on the floor. "Your ty secretary told you she cheated on you?" 

"What are you doing, Jongin?!" 

"Knocking some sense into you! Amber noona isn't that kind of person!" 

"How do you know?" The next thing Sehun knew, his jaw hurt. He looked up, only to see Jongin, just as surprised as him. He looked at Kris, who's eyes flashed with rage. 

"You should know better than all of us what kind of person Amber Liu really is. And if you don't then you really don't deserve her love. Go back to your ty secretary." Kris spat, pulling Kai out of the cafe. He watched as 2 of his closest friends send him a glare before getting into their car. Sehun stood up, rubbing his jaw. 

"Damn," he muttered to himself, "Kris hyung packs a punch." Now, he was really confused. She didn't cheat on him, so where on Earth did Jaehun come from? 


After she saw Sehun at the market 2 weeks ago, she couldn't get his handsome face out of her mind. She was annoyed that all he had to do was show up and she would fall in love all over again. She was annoyed that he rejected her offer for coffee. She knew he was lying. He was never a good liar. She played basketball with Kris that night to get over her anger.

Amber was in the middle of rinsing her hair when she heard the doorbell of her small home ring. She cursed mentally. Who on Earth would visit someone at 10 AM on a Saturday? She groaned. She couldn't tell Jaehun to answer the door--he was four years old, for God's sake! She quickly shut off the shower and put on a robe, her wet hair sticking to her face and neck. She walked to the door and opened it. "How may I help you?" she looked up, eyes widened. "Sehun?" His eyes were widened as he looked at her. He gulped and pushed her into her house, shutting the door behind him. "Yah! What are you doing?" 

"What are you doing answering the door like that?!?!" he said, gesturing to her robe. 

"I was in the middle of a shower and you-- wait, why am I explaining myself? What are you doing here?!" 

He clenched his teeth. "Don't ever answer the door looking like that again. You're lucky it was me and not some weird guy." 

She scoffed. "You are some weird guy, Sehun-sshi. " she enunciated. 

He growled. "Amber." 

"What are you doing here, Sehun-sshi?" she asked, crossing her arms. 

"I came because--" 

"Mommy?" Jaehun said voice cracking as he came out of his room, rubbing his teary eyes. 

Amber turned her attention to her boy and she ran to him, picking him up and placing him on her lap on the couch, forgetting about Sehun's existence. "What's wrong, baby?" she asked, patting his hair. 

"I had a nightmare."

"What was it about?" She asked, hugging him tightly. Sehun watched in amazement. She really was a great mother. He couldn't help but admire her beauty as he watched her. 

Jaehun hiccuped. "You didn't want me anymore." 

"I wouldn't ever not want you. You're my little man." 

"Mommy, in my dream, you said that my appa didn't want me--that's why I don't have one. Is that true?" 

Amber was in shock, unsure of how to answer. Sehun smiled slightly and crouched down. Before Amber could answer, Sehun spoke. "Of course it's not." 

Jaehun tore his eyes from Amber, looking at Sehun. "Sehun ahjussi? How do you know?" he sniffled. 

Sehun held his arms open. "I always wanted you. And your mother." 

Jaehun looked at him, wide-eyed. He turned his eyes to his mother, who looked equally as shocked. He locked eyes with his mother, as if asking if it was true, and she slowly nodded. Jaehun felt tears in his eyes as he ran into Sehun's arms. "Appa! Appa!" 

Sehun felt a tear slip as well as he picked up the boy. "Jaehun-ah, I'm your appa." he whispered, hugging the boy tightly. 

Jaehun cried into his shoulder. "Appa, where were you? Did you really not want me and mommy?" 

"Jaehun-ah, I love you and your mommy. I never stopped," he said, looking at Amber. "I was just working. I'm sorry I was never here, Jaehun-ah. You can hate me." 

Jaehun kissed Sehun's cheeks. "No, appa, I love you!" 

Sehun cried as he held onto his son. He turned to Amber. "I love you, Amber. Please, forgive me. I didn't mean any of the words I said." he said. He set Jaehun down and kneeled beside him. "Jae, can you reach into appa's pocket and get something for me?" Jaehun nodded, putting his hand into his father's jacket pocket. He pulled out the black box and handed it to his father. Sehun smiled and looked up at Amber. He opened up the box, revealing the diamond ring. "I planned this about 5 years ago, but I guess not everything works out according to plan. The reason why I said those things to you was because I was stressed with work and Hwayeon had told me that you cheated on me. I'm really sorry. That's what prevented me from proposing all those years ago. Better late than never, right?" he smiled slightly at her. "Amber Josephine Liu, will you please, please marry me?" 

"I-I..." 

"Mommy! Say yes!" 

She felt her tears flow as she nodded. Sehun slipped the ring on her finger and picked her up. He spun her around as he kissed her on the lips. He quickly broke the kiss and placed his forehead on hers. "You don't know how long I waited for that." 


There, done! Hehe. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.