3 - Shot Down In Flames

Boys of the Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you guys ready to order?” the waitress asked.

“Sure am,” Junsu smiled, checking out our waitress. “In fact, I’m ready for anything you have in mind.”

It was Monday morning, and we were sitting outside at a café near the beach house. Both sides of are crowded with apartments and houses and stores, and it’s an easy walk or bike ride from the beach to the bay and back again. All sorts of people cruise up and down the boardwalk, and the four of us guys were ordering breakfast right in the middle of the action. We had this great table on the very edge of the patio, up against the wooden railing that separated the café from the sidewalk.

“What I have in mind,” our waitress told Junsu tolerantly, flipping her long ponytailed hair over one shoulder, “is getting some food on this table and getting on with my life.” She was cute, I thought, and probably about our age.

“Well then, Bom,” Yoochun said, making a big production out of reading her name tag, “What are the specials today?”

“There’s on the board,” Bom told him, hooking a thumb back over her shoulder. “Read ‘em and weep.”

All of us had already seen the board, of course. Asking Bom the specials was just Yoochun’s idea of sparkling conversation.

“You look pretty special,” Junsu said, turning up the smile and scooting his chair a little closer to where Bom was standing. Such a master flirt.

I have a feeling that Bom would have made an Olympic-caliber comeback, but we’ll never know, because Min took pity on her. “I’ll have Omelette,” he blurted. “And coffee, please.”

“Pancakes and hot chocolate,” I said, following Min’s lead.

Junsu shot us an evil look, but he and Yoochun finally ordered too.

“What did you in for?” Junsu demanded as soon as Bom left the table. “I was talking to her.”

“You were annoying her,” Min corrected. “Besides, she has to work.” He gestured to the jam-packed tables around us with his arm.

“Ah, Max Changmin! You’re useless as a wingman!” Yoochun whined.

“You’re too good, Min,” Junsu said, smiling in spite of himself. “You do know that, don’t you?”

“I know I miss Minzy,” Min said, turning his head away. “And it doesn’t help when all you guys think about is picking up girls. I thought we were going to do stuff together.”

“What are we 5? Grow up, Min,” Yoochun advised rudely. “Hello!” he added a second later, sitting up straighter and running a hand through his perfect manicured hair. “Speaking of girls…”

We all turned our heads in the direction Yoochun was staring. Three girls were walking down the sidewalk wearing what I already recognized as the official sorority shirt of Seoul University. They were going to pass right by us.

“I get dibs on the blonde,” Yoochun said.

The guy is so predictable. Lucky for me, we have the exact opposite taste in women. For a moment I remembered Dara, the girl I’d met the day before, but then the sorority girls entered hitting-on range.

“Hey there, beautiful,” Yoochun opened, leering at the blonde. “What are you fine ladies doing out walking around by yourselves?” He sounded like a total geek, but to my amazement the girls slowed their steps and came over to the railing.

“What’s your name?” the dyed-blonde chick asked Yoochun.

“Micky Yoochun,” he answered proudly.

“Well, Micky Yoochun,” said the blonde, smiling sweetly, “I guess we’re out walking around by ourselves because none of those boys that have hit on us with a ball this morning have interested us in the slightest. By the way, your hair looks weird.”

“Ouch!” Junsu and I said, laughing, as the girls sauntered away down the boardwalk, giggling and high-fiving each other triumphantly.

“What a witch!” Yoochun exclaimed, trying to recover a little dignity, but that only made us laugh harder.

“She shot you down in flames, dude,” Junsu gasped, wiping at his watering eyes.

Just then, Bom showed up with our breakfast.

“Did you see that?” Junsu asked her as she set down the plates. “My buddy here just failed Sorority girls 101.”

Bom looked sympathetic. “Why would you want to pass?” asked Yoochun.

“Cause he’ll make a pass at anything,” I blurted, inspired.

“Shut up, Jaejoong,” Yoochun said dangerously.

“Can I have some ketchup, please?” Min asked Bom.

“Sure thing,” she said, pulling a bottle out of her apron pocket and smiling at him. She was really very cute – y and alluring, with almond-shaped eyes and perfect teeth.

“Can I have some too?” Junsu said.

“On your cereal and fruits?” Bom looked totally disgusted.

“No, on my hamburger tonight, when I come back to have dinner with you.”

Bom laughed and tossed her hair flirtatiously at Junsu. “Nice try,” she said.

We all watched her as she moved to the next table, and I could tell she knew we were doing it. She didn’t seem to mind, though.

“Great legs,” Junsu decided, stuffing a huge bite of his food into his mouth. “And I like those shorts.”

I have to admit, I’d noticed the shorts too. There cut so high they were practically bathing suit bottoms.

“Give it up,” Yoochun said grouchily. “She’s not into you.”

“On the contrary,” Junsu corrected. “She’s not into you. She may be into me, though.”

“You’re both idiots,” Min said shortly. “Why don’t you leave her alone?”

The rest of us turned to stare. It was totally not like Min to say something so rude, no matter how right he might have been. “I mean, lighten up,” he added lamely, looking suddenly uncomfortable.

“Yeah. Come on, you guys,” I said, trying to help Min out. “Let’s hurry up and eat and get back to the beach house. What are we going to do today anyway?”

Yoochun actually seemed glad for a change in the conversation. “We could play volleyball again,” he said.

Over my dead body, I thought. “Why don’t we go over to the bay and check out the KMV thing?” I suggested instead. “They’re probably having contests and stuff. It might be cool.”

“Yeah,” Min said. “Let’s check it out.”

“Okay,” Junsu agreed slowly. “And I think I know a way to make it really fun too.”

“How?” Yoochun asked.

“My parents kind of share a Hobie Cat with a friend that lives on the bay. I bet he’ll let us borrow it, then we can sail over to the party and arrive in style.”

“Cool,” the rest of us said in unison. It was quiet for a few minutes as the four of us shoveled in our breakfasts, suddenly in a hurry to finish. Bom brought our check when we were done.

“I’ll get that,” Junsu said quickly, reaching for it. I was truly shocked for a second, but then I realized he was just trying to impress Bom and would make us all pay him back as soon as we got home. Junsu whipped a few won out of his short pocket and pres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter