Birthday Celebration.

Lucky.

-Author’s POV-

 

It was a bright summer morning in Seoul. The maids greeted a good morning to you and an extra happy birthday in unison. They gave you a 90 degrees bow and you slightly bowed back with a bright smile. Minah, your personal maid, brought you your breakfast and stood behind you. She pulled out a chair and you sat there. Murmuring a thank you, you began eating.

Breakfast was quiet as usual since you always ate alone at home. The only days you eat with people at home when your parents are free, which was really rare, and when your friends come over, which was also rare since you disliked outsiders in your house even if they are your friends.

Wiping your mouth, you got up and murmured a thank you again. You smiled slightly and went to your room. It was your favorite place, aside from your bedroom. It had everything you needed and the maids would just put food in your “mailbox” if you ever rang the bell to signal to bring food. The mailbox was your only connection outside the room, which you rarely use.

Sitting down on the bean bag, you reached for your sketch pad and went to the latest blank page. Looking around for inspiration, you thought of something. You smiled and started sketching. Reaching for your art box, you gripped on the handle and pulled it towards you. You opened it and smiled once again.

It was your parents’ 15th birthday gift after all. They specially ordered someone to make the box and everything inside it. It contained colored pencils with every shade of every color, pencils with different hardness and different kinds of erasers as well.

You started coloring your drawing. Your smile gets wider as you got close to the end. Putting back the last color pencil you needed, you close the box and put it back where it came from. Smiling proudly at your drawing, you nodded and decided to be one of the drawings to be on your wall. Tearing it off from your sketch pad, you pasted it on the wall using double sided tape.

“Miyeon-ssi, phone call.”, Minah said from the outside.

“Just put it on the floor.”, you said and took one last glance at your drawing and went to answer the phone.

“Hello? Miyeon speaking.”

“Miyeon-ah~ It’s Jenna! Happy Birthday!”

“Ah nae. Thank you, Jenna.”

“Mhm… Oh right. EXO said to hang out at the spot.

“Spot?”

“Uh you know, the one that Xiumin oppa owns.”

“Oh right! Okay. I’ll take a bath and change. What kind of party is it?”

“We’re just going to hang out, dummy.”

“Pabo, I know what you’re up to. You guys will surprise me, just like always.”

“Damnit. Okay okay. Just wear a shirt and shorts. Or maybe a cute dress! They don’t really care, as long as you bring a swimsuit. We might swim~”

“’Kay. See you.”

“Bye~ Happy Birthday again.”

“Yeah, thanks. Bye.”, you said and put down the phone.

You called for Minah and told her you’ll be going out. After assuring her you’ll be safe and you’ll take a ride using the limo to reassure her you’ll be very fine, you closed the door and got ready. Picking out a dress that reached your mid thigh, has a cream color and dots, you hang it somewhere and looked for shoes. Getting a pair of doll shoes with the same color as your dress, you put it near your dress and got a matching hair band as well. You took your towel and made your way to the bathroom and took a bath.

After your bath, you put on the clothes you selected. Looking at how you look on the mirror, you wore the necklace which Kai gave before you two started dating each other. Letting your hair naturally dry, you hummed a tune as you brush your hair. You weren’t the type to style your hair using curlers or straighteners so you let it the natural way. You weren’t also the type to put on even the slightest make-up since you would just wipe it off sooner or later.

As your hair dried, you tied your hair in a ponytail and looked at yourself in the mirror. Posing cutely then laughing at yourself since it was ridiculous, you took out a small bag yet it was large enough to fit your swimsuit, extra clothes and other necessities. Putting the things you need, you put on your shoes and hair band since you forgot to put them on. You took out your phone and took a picture of yourself. Laughing again, you got out and the maids bowed to you as you passed by.

Saying a good bye to Minah (and reassuring her once again that you’ll be safe and won’t do stupid actions), you got out and hopped in the limo, where Mr. Park (hehe) was already in. Telling him where to go, he nodded and started driving.

 

You arrived in front of the place after 20 minutes. Getting down and telling Mr. Park that you’ll just either text or call him when you’re done, you went in. Seeing no one, you chuckled and started the familiar scene.

“Where could they be?”, you said, tapping your chin. It was like a script since it was done over and over again but you enjoyed it. Spinning around on time, you caught Jenna sneaking up on you.

“Damn. You already know what will happen next.”, she pouted. “No fun.”, she added and you laughed. You hugged her and assured her you’re going with the flow but will do some changing.

“Happy birthday, biffie.”, she grinned as she hugged back. You broke the hug and went to another room. You felt the familiar arms around your waist and knew it was your boyfriend Kai. He rested his chin on your shoulder.

“Happy Birthday, baby.”, he whispered and kissed your cheek. You smiled and spun around with his arms still around your waist. You smiled and patted his nose with your index finger and let go. Luhan appeared with a cake and the others were holding the gifts. Chen was the only one holding two cards yet he was the most careful. They sang the birthday song and when they finished, you blew the candles with the same wish in your mind.

I wish that umma and appa are safe and also, I hope they have at least a letter for me. I miss them.

They clapped when the candle lights went off. Luhan placed it on a table and clapped as well. Xiumin hugged you and murmured a happy birthday. You smiled at him and the seven of you went around the cake and you cut a slice for yourself.

While eating cake, you opened the gifts. Jenna made you pair of mittens since you always complain about your hands getting stiff when it is very cold. Luhan bought you a box of chocolates while Xiumin bought you a box of cookies.

“Don’t eat them all in one go. You’ll get fat.”, Luhan teased and you glared at him. Chen made a bonnet, with a help from Jenna, which had cute patterns and a unicorn on the side. Sehun and Kai teamed up to buy you a new bike since they know you really love biking.

“Ours is the best.”, Kai said with a grin. Luhan stood up and beg to differ. They bickered until you said you liked Xiumin’s the best, earning a smile from Xiumin. You winked at him then the both of you laughed. You really liked teaming up with Xiumin since he was like a big broher to you.

After the opening of the gifts and eating the whole cake, Chen gave you the two letters he was holding. You took it and looked at the back. The light yellow one was from your mom and the light green one was from your dad.

“We asked them if they could come today but unfortunately, they couldn’t. So… We asked them if they could just make a letter. We know that’s the want you really want.”, Chen explained with a broken smile, as he was the one who knows how much you really miss your parents since he is in the same situation. Carefully, you opened your mother’s letter first.

 

To my dear daughter Miyeon,

First of all, Happy Birthday, my dear. It’s been long since you last celebrated your birthday with us. Umma is very sorry since she couldn’t make it. I had an important meeting to attend in Germany and when I remembered your birthday is today, it was too late. The plane was already flying. I’ll make it up to you. I promise. You, me and appa will go on a family outing and I promise we’ll be a normal family on that day. No phone calls from business, no thoughts about the business. Just us three, living like a normal family. Sounds good, right? Well, I love you since the very beginning and until the very end, I will continue to love you. Umma loves you very much. I hope I could get a vacation soon so I could catch up with you and see your new drawings. I miss you very much. Let’s see each other again soon, my dear. I love you. <3

From your mother,
Kim Saera

You didn’t realize you were crying until you felt a thumb gently wiping your cheek. You bit your lip and tried to stop crying. You looked up at Kai who had a sad smile. He hated the fact you were crying. He sat beside you and hugged you tight.

“Cry, baby. Cry and cry until you are satisfied.”, he said and with that, you started crying hard. It’s been months or maybe a year since you last saw your parents. The rest of your friends couldn’t take it so they went to you and hugged you as well. Chen knew how you felt and patted your back. Jenna wiped a tear as she is emotional when it comes to things like this. Chen pulled her close to him and let her sob on his shoulder.

Kai saw Xiumin and pulled away from you. Xiumin sat beside you and hugged you, giving you another feel. The hug from Kai was boyfriend-ly like while Xiumin gave a strong big brother feel. He rocked you as he hummed a tune. When you stopped crying, Jenna gave you a glass of water and you drank it. After that, you carefully opened your dad’s letter and took a deep breath then started reading it.

 

To my sweet princess Miyeon,

Happy Birthday to my princess. You’re 16 now! I feel like it was yesterday when you were in your princess costume and celebrating your 6th birthday with us and you friends. I hope you’re enjoying whatever your friends prepared. Your mom already said our wishes so I won’t be repeating them. We bought a gift for you and I hope you will like it. Your friends told me their plan. It was good, I hope you will be pleased. Your mom and I are coming home next week I guess. A few more days to go and we’ll be reunited again! I love you my princess. I miss you very much. Stay healthy, I hope Minah is taking good care of you. I love you. <3

From your awesome father,
Kim Jinseok

 

You instantly wiped your tears away after you finished reading. You didn’t realize the guys cleaned the place and arrange it so that there would be a big space. You looked up with Jenna standing in the middle with the guys behind her.

“Chingu-ah, your boyfriend wants to tell you something. With the help from his friends, he made a song. He choreographed the dance with Sehun and Luhan. He’ll be performing this and he and his friends will sing it.”, she started and walked away.

Playing the song, you tapped your fingers to the beat.

(I’ll just put who will sing like a conversation, and I MIGHT change some of the lyrics. 8{D)

Chen: Being born in the same country, Talking in the same language

Kai: We’re so lucky, it’s such a relief. Nothing is for certain in this world

Luhan: On a day that I wore nice clothes, I met you. I was lucky. It’s because I did good in the past

Xiumin: I can call your name and I can hold your hand.

Sehun: Is the falling sunlight only shining on me? Can I be this happy?

Xiumin: You call my name and you lean on my shoulder

Kai: Is the sky’s sunlight only shining on you? Can you be that dazzling? So lucky, my love So lucky to have you So lucky to be your love, I am.

Chen: We like the same colors. We share the same situation, lucky
It’s a love that’s meant to be.

Xiumin: I can call your name and I can hold your hand.

Sehun: Is the falling sunlight only shining on me? Can I be this happy?

Xiumin: You call my name and you lean on my shoulder

Kai: Is the sky’s sunlight only shining on you? Can you be that dazzling?
So lucky, my love

Kai: We smile brightly in the photo, we’re a perfect harmony.
I think I’m a lucky guy, it’s so good like we’re in a fairy tale of our dreams

 

Sehun: Oh my god, it’s the best thing to hear. Her voice melts me like ice cream. She is picture perfect

Kai: Because you’re my first, because this song is about you
I’m smiling like this, so only you can see, are you looking at me right now? I have a new dream, it’s to be one a better man. Because your eyes that look at me make me run once again more than anything else.

Everyone: So lucky, our love. So lucky to have you
So lucky to be your love, We are.

They ended their performance with Kai holding out a box. He smiled and put it on your lap and kissed your lips softly then pulled back. Your cheeks were getting red as cherry tomatoes so you tried to distract yourself by opening the gift. You saw the card telling who it was from and it said umma and appa. You smiled and looked inside.

You pulled out a snow white owl stuffed toy and a heart keychain. Then you saw a small box. You took it and opened it. It contained two rings with your and Kai’s name on each. You looked up at him and motioned him to come near.

He sat beside you and you slipped the ring into his finger and you slipped yours. You grinned and hugged the owl. He smiled and kissed your forehead.

“Happy Birthday once again. I hope you liked the performance. We recorded the song so that we could listen to it many times. I know you’ll like it since Kai had so many parts.”, Luhan teased then grinned. Your cheeks became redder and he laughed.

“It’s already late. Let’s go home.”, Xiumin said and everyone agreed. You called Mr. Park and he came as soon as possible. Giving you a good night kiss, Kai waved and went home with Sehun.

You got in the car and Mr. Park drove back home. Getting inside the house, you mumbled a good night to Minah and went to your room to change. After changing into sleeping clothes, you brushed your teeth then took off the ponytail. Walking into your bedroom, you jumped onto your bed.

You texted everyone a good night and thank you then almost went to sleep when you remembered something. You made a voicemail for your mom and dad then sent it.

 

 

“Umma, appa, thank you for the gifts. I loved the couple rings and the owl. I love you both. Good night. <3”

 

You hugged your owl stuffed toy with a smile then slept.