1

Save our kiss

 

I stood there in the line, not believing my eyes. Not wating to believe them. No, that couldn't be true. That in front of me wasn't really Tomo-chin, the same Itano Tomo-chin I had fallen for. The Tomo-chin that gave me a chance that night...
 
*FLASHBACK*
 
I went to that party only because my best friend Kitayama invited me. I am not really the type of person that goes out that much. But accepting that invitation proved to be a good idea after I saw her. Where else would I have the chance to see Itano Tomomi-san, my crush for years, in such a beautiful dress? She was smiling and chatting, as always. She knew everyone, and was really popular among guys. Even with the rumours about her being... a heartbreaker. I didn't care for those. For me, she seemed one of the nicest people in the world. 
After some time, my friends started saying I should go talk to her. I couldn't find the courage in myself to do it, but they pressured me a lot. I walked to her shyly, with a drink in my hand to give her. But when I reached her, I couldn't say anything.
"It's for me?", she asked. I nodded. "Thank you". She let out a small laugh. And I felt myself blushing. Good thing the lights were few. She said some things my mind couldn't register, I was in shock 'cause she was really talking to me.
"You're really cute, you know?", she said after a while, and took my hand. A slow song started playing, and I noticed she was taking me to the dance floor.
I. was. going. to. dance. with. Itano. Tomomi. 
She seemed to expect me to say something.
"Your hands are soft... ". Hands? I wanted to punch myself for saying something so stupid. But she only smiled. Then, she brought me closer to her. The dance. Of course, in that moment I could barely remember how to walk. Inside, I wondered if that was really happening, if it wasn't only a dream.
"Fujigaya-kun", she called me. "Do you mind if I call you Taisuke-kun?"
"N-no..."
'Thanks. You can call me Tomo-chin if you want. You've always liked me, right?"
Then, she got even closer. Her face was only milimeters away from mine when I noticed. My heart beats were so loud I was sure she could hear them. And so, our lips touched...
 
*END OF FLASHBACK*
 
The memories of that day were interrupted by the reality of this day. Tomo-chin was on the same line as me, to buy tickets for the amusement park. But I was with my friends, while she...
The arms holding her weren't mine. The lips she kissed now weren't mine. They belonged to Yamada-kun, one of the  most popular guys in class. 
Of course she was with him. A boy like him is suited for pretty and popular Itano Tomomi-san. Not a nerd like me.
"What's wrong, Gaya?", Kitayama asked.
"Are you not feeling well?", Miyata, other of my friends, asked.
"No. It's nothing.", I said. I didn't want to see any more of the happy couple in front of me. I turned to my friends and started chatting about other things, any other things.
The afternoon at the amusement park was actually fun. I did my best not to think about Tomo-chin, no, Itano-san and that guy. The seven of us first went ice skating. The, we went to a roller coaster. We all noticed Senga was scared, but as he didn't say anything, neither did us. After that, Nikaido took us to the haunted house, that was more funny than scary. Luckly, I didn't see Itano-san anywhere during those. 
"Are you really going to hide what happened from us?", Kitayama asked, when we stopped to buy something to eat. "It's weird when you are not talking all the time."
"Sorry.", I said. "It's nothing, really. I'm fine."
"Just remember we are your friends. We will help you with anything we can", said Yokoo. All the others nodded, agreeing.
"Thanks, guys."
We ended up going again ice skating after that. We loved that, but no more than roller skating. If there was that on the park, we certainly wouldn't leave any soon.
 
Then, we said goodbye and parted ways. I wasn't really going forward to get home, so I just stayed in the train, even after it stopped on the station I was supposed to go. Even after all the fun I had with my friends, I still couldn't forget Itano-san. Secretly, I hoped I could meet her.
And it happened. The train stopped, and among the crowd that entered was her. She saw me and sat beside me.
"Taisuke-kun".
And again, I couldn't say anything. I had so many questions to ask, but none of them came. I was dazzled by her beauty, by her scent. Here we go again.
Before I could say anything, Itano-san kissed me again. That unique feeling... but, at the same time, I could feel the tears forming in my eyes. Why? What was the meaning of that for her?
I didn't want another ilusion. I wanted, I needed something real. With that in mind, I broke the kiss. 
"You don't like me, Taisuke-kun?", she asked.
"I'm the one to ask. Do you like me, Itano-san?"
"Of course I do.", she answered, smiling.
"Then, why were you with Yamada-kun earlier?", I asked.
"Because I like him.", she said, still with the same smile.
"I thought... I was special. That you loved me.", I said, now understanding it all. 
"Love is such a strong word, Taisuke-kun. Forget it, let's..."
"No.", I said, getting up. The train stopped again. "I can't, Itano-san. If all you want is to kiss, then choose another guy.". I left without looking back.
There was I, in an unknown station, with a pain in my heart and in my lips. Wondering if I should have accepted it.