Ideal Type

Ideal Type (oneshot)

Jinhae's POV

I started at the tabloid in my hands. One of the articles was a recent interview with 2PM. I read one of the paragraphs to myself.

"When we asked 2PM's resident dancing machine, Jang Wooyoung, who his ideal type of girl was, he named no one specifically. He only said, 'I like a girl who I can easily get along and feel comfortable with. She should also be understanding when I can't spend time with her because of work'"

The doorbell rang and I quickly put the tabloid away. I smoothed my hair and went for the door.

"Secret knock," I called, giggling.

Wooyoung and I had been best friends since we were kids, and we invented the secret knock for our tree house when we were seven. It wasn't really needed anymore, but old habits were hard to break.

Anyway, he knocked the correct beat and I opened the door.

"Ready to go?" he grinned.

"Yup." I stepped out of my apartment and locked up. We walked to Wooyoung's car in silence.

It was past midnight. I used to wonder why we had to go in the dead of the night just to hang out even if we were just friends, but he would just shrug and say people would assume we were dating.

Then I would say that it didn't matter because we weren't a couple.

And he would close the conversation by saying, "It does matter."

That always baffled me, but eventually I let it go.

We got in his car and just sat there for a moment. It wasn't usually this awkward, but tonight it was. It only became like this when either of us had something important to say.

"I saw the article," I said before I could stop myself.

"Oh, you did?" he asked with a nervous laugh.

"Yeah... um.. I read the part about your, uh.. ideal type." I picked a piece of lint from my scarf.

Now, I hated to admit it to myself, but I've loved Wooyoung as more than a friend for forever. And to think that he had finally found a girl he liked, and that the girl wasn't me... it broke my heart.

"Oh yeah... that." he said, drumming on the steering wheel.

I hesitated, but I had to say it. "Had anyone in mind?"

He shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. I mean... yeah."

I forced a smile, even if it was the last thing my face wanted to do. "I.. I'm happy for you."

He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me. His drumming on the steering wheel stopped. "You are?"

"Yeah," I nodded, wishing I could sink to the earth's core. Wooyoung had always been an expert at detecting my lies. It's a wonder he hasn't caught me yet. "Who is she?"

After I spoke, we looked everywhere but at each other. After what felt like an eternity of silence, I heard him mutter something under his breath.

I turned to him. "What?"

"I said," he took a deep breath, then he looked me in the eyes. "You."

I was at a loss for words. "M-me?"

"Yes, you." he took my hand. "Jinhae, I've loved you for as long as I can remember. I've just never had the courage to say it until now. But now you know. I love you."

Before I could reply, he leaned over and his lips captured mine. It was short and sweet, but at that moment, I wasn't aware of anything but him.

When we parted, it all sunk in.

"Sorry," he said quickly, looking away. "It's just... I've wanted to do that for a really long time."

I could barely speak, but I managed to say, "T-that's why it matters?"

He glanced over and nodded.

I turned his head to face me. "Wooyoung... I love you too."