Prologue / Beyond the normal world

Drawn
Please log in to read the full chapter
Prologue / Beyond the normal world

 

 

“What a weird rabbit.” Kyuhyun stood behind me, judging my painting.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, a bit offended, and looked at my painting again, “It’s a wolf!”

Kyuhyun began laughing hard as if he heard the best joke in the world. He even doubled over and laid his hand on his stomach as if he had a stomachache. “A-a wolf?” He hiccupped because of his laughter.

I turned around on my chair. “Stop laughing! As if you could do better!” I challenged him which made Kyuhyun smirk. His lips were twitching a bit, as if he could burst into laughter again any second and his eyes had that certain gleam in them which made me highly uncomfortable.

“All of you guys! Come to see this!” Kyuhyun screamed to the room and everyone from the whole drawing club. At least fifteen people stood behind me now judging my drawing. Some girls giggled, a few guys snickered and I saw a few people that seemed to pity me.

Luckily Jessica stood up for me: “Don’t be so hard on him, it looks like a cute bunny.” She defended me and I sighed while putting my head into my hands.

“No, i-it’s a w-wolf!” Kyuhyun began laughing again and a few others laughed along while I became as red as a beetroot. Jessica on the other hand sighed a bit deeply as she patted my back a bit before she walked back to her own drawing, not knowing what to say to defend me.

Tiffany walked a bit closer to me and grabbed a chair get a better look at my drawing. “Do you want me to help making a bunny or would you want me to make it a wolf?” She kindly asked me as she held a pencil ready. Her kind eyes looked up to me as if she was a kindergarten teacher that was putting the names beside the persons drawn on the paper.

 I shook my head in defeat, mumbling that I could take care of it on my own. Honestly I didn’t know why I ever chose the drawing club as my club. I was bad at drawing but wanted to do the same things as my friends. And since Kyuhyun, Jessica and Tiffany were in the drawing club, I had no choice but to take that too. Well, I could have chosen the cooking club, I guess. But Ryeowook – who is the last member of our group of friends – made it very clear to me that he never wanted to see me in the kitchen again.

I’m not really good in anything with my hands. My card tower never gets any further than two cards and then it collapses! Whenever I’m working with a hammer, I always manage to hit my thumb. And don’t even get me started about thumb-wrestling…

My feet however are a different story. I’m the best of our class with gym and nobody can imitate my dance moves. But we don’t have a dance club at school and I’m too lazy to run hard except if it is for a grade so here I am, working my ‘fingers’ off in the drawing club.

I brought my pencil up to the paper again and began to make the ears of my wolf a bit shorter and a bit more pointier. The paper screeched as I worked hard to make my ‘bunny’ look more like a wolf.

“That’s a lot better, Hyukjae!” I looked around and saw Tiffany and Jessica smiling at me. “Yeah, I can almost see a rabbit in it now!” Kyuhyun agreed while he walked behind them. Jessica quickly turned around and hit him. “Be a bit nicer, will you.” She ordered him and Kyuhyun just rolled with his eyes and walked back to his own drawing to finish up.

Slowly but steadily the members of the club walked out and we followed. I put my drawing in Tiffany’s ‘paper bag’. She had a special bag for all her drawings and since we were walking to my house to hang out there, she offered to take it with her so I could let my mom see it without any real damage done to it. Not that I really wanted my mom to see my horrible drawing but she would ask about it anyway when she would see my friends’ drawings. And when I show her mine she would say that I’m a real abstract artist. Well, at least she’s right that nobody really gets what I’m drawing.

“Hey, wait for me!” The four of us looked to the side and saw Ryeowook running to us with a plastic bag. He bumped into a few people along the way. Not because he is clumsy or anything, no on the contrary, Ryeowook is a very careful person but people just don’t see him. Well, Ryeowook isn’t a very tall and he’s very quiet too so I guess that people just tend to overlook him a bit. He’s just not a person that stands out very much, his clothes are quite normal, almost a bit dull and his hair has a normal brownish color so that doesn’t stand out either. And even if he talks, it’s quite a soft voice though he can speak very vulgar words if he wants to!

“Hey Ryeowook!” Jessica and Tiffany kindly greeted. Jessica and Tiffany are actually very different from Ryeowook. They’re both very loud. Especially when they’re having fun. If Tiffany finds something funny and she doesn’t know how to say it, she’ll clap in her hands very loudly and when she finally finds her voice back, it will have the tone of a siren. Jessica on the other hand is a bit more violent, if she doesn’t like something she hits someone but if she likes something she’ll also hit someone. The problem is that that someone is either me or Kyuhyun. Still they both have good qualities too. Tiffany has the sweetest voice – whenever she isn’t screaming – and is a very friendly girl while Jessica is a real party girl with whom you can have fun (whenever she isn’t ing around).

Kyuhyun just nodded to Ryeowook. Sometimes I do wonder why I’m friends with Kyuhyun. He’s impossibly arrogant, constantly disrespectful and is always ditching me for his games. Wow, that really sounded depressive. Still he is a very loyal friend. Once he let himself been beaten up only because he was defending me against some thugs. I really appreciated that even when he was bleeding all over the carpet in my room. I often picture that situation whenever Kyuhyun is being annoying so that I won’t hit him.

“What do you have in your hand?” I asked Ryeowook while sniffing the godly scent that was in the plastic bag. I was always hungry. My mother often called me a bottomless pit while I blame her for what happened to me. If she would’ve stopped me whenever I put new food on my plate for the third time then maybe I wouldn’t have been such a glutton. I’m lucky that I have such a good metabolism otherwise I would have been fat!

“Brownies,” Ryeowook answered with a big smile on his face as he held up the plastic bag, “I thought that we could eat them in your room as a snack, you know!” Kyuhyun and Jessica cheered while Tiffany clapped her hands. I inwardly groaned. I immediately thought off all the crumbles that it would leave in my room. Have I already told you that I’m a neat freak? No? Well, it’s true. There is not a speck of dust to find in my room, I always clean up as soon as I see some dust or filth. Kyuhyun calls me the almost perfect housewife because of that. He says that the only thing I at, as a housewife, is cooking. I can’t really hit him for that since it true but still, I don’t enjoy being called a housewife!

We begin with the walk to my house. Ryeowook is clamping the brownies into his chest so that they’ll keep warm while Kyuhyun is boringly walking with his hands in his pockets as if he is the coolest guy around. Which he’s not! He’s definitely not the coolest guy around but still he likes to think that because of his ego. Jessica and Tiffany are in a very ‘interesting’ conversation about a dog. Makes me think of my bunny/wolf. I hope that my mom won’t make a fool off me later since she always does that. I can already picture her putting my drawing on the fridge as if I’m a four year old that needs to have the confirmation of the fridge.

The walk towards my house isn’t that long at all. Around ten minutes since my mom wants me close to home, not that there is something wrong with that or something because honestly I would’ve chosen the school I’m in now too but still my mom is treating me like I’m ten! Anyway the neighborhood is quite safe, we almost never have any tugs around and almost everyone is quite normal. Most teenagers wouldn’t like normal but I do. Normal makes things simple and simple means that nothing is difficult and that I won’t have much worries.

We stood still before my house and everyone looks to my neighbor’s house as they always do. As if someone could be eavesdropping on us, Ryeowook whispered: “Is he home?” The other three people looked at me expectantly but I just shrugged.

“Who cares if he’s home.” And I walk into my own house leaving my friends to look at the creepy house next door with weed that reaches the windows and paint that is scaling off the walls. I’m not paying attention to that house, I almost never do. I hate that house because it makes my normal life not so normal since the person who lives in that house, isn’t normal.

“Hi Hyukjae’s mom!” My friends call when they enter my house. They always do that and then my mom comes either out of the kitchen or the dining room to greet them. Once she came out the living room and it was a shock for us all! But this time was normal as my mom exited the kitchen while drying her hands with a towel. She had some grey hairs in her curly short black hair and she wore one of her flower outfits. To be frank, my mom looks and acts like an old lady that you would find on the corner of the street with a huge bunch of cats. Well, we do have one cat. Shindong is an old, orange haired cat that does literally nothing. He only lays on the couch as a pillow that you can’t pick up or something. It irritates me to no end because he always sits on my spot where he leaves his cat hairs which brings out my inner neat freak again.

But really, it’s a miracle that my mom got married to my father, especially considering the fact that my dad is pretty normal with a normal nine till five job. He even has normal hobbies which are reading the paper and washing the car!

“I’ve brought brownies Mrs. Hyukjae’s mom.” Ryeowook is always very polite to my mom since he really likes her and doesn’t want to offend her. I think that my mom prefers him over me too, even when she doesn’t admit it. I mean, who wouldn’t like Ryeowook as a son?  He is quiet. His baking skills are perfect and he’s often very shy which seems to attract moms like bees are attracted to honey. Ryeowook doesn’t hide his affection for my mom either. He sometimes even comes to my house not to hang out with me but to bake a cake or some other culinary wonder with my mom. I’ve come home a few times now while Ryeowook was baking with my mom without my knowledge!

 “That’s very nice of you,” My mom said sweetly as she ruffled Ryeowook’s hair, “but dinner’s almost ready so we can’t eat it right now.” My mom looked longingly to the brownies as if she wanted to eat them even when she just said that she didn’t want to. She was probably on some kind of strange diet again. She once had a diet in which she could only eat carrots! I really don’t get my mom! Who believes that kind of crap?

“What are you making, Mrs. Hyukjae’s mom?” Jessica politely asked my mom but I could already see them water mouthing, no do

Please log in to read the full chapter