Our Father.

Finding Your Sol

 

“Please rise for the final blessing.”

Everyone stood up on their feet, bowing their heads as they prayed for God’s blessing.

“You may now go in peace to spread the good news of God.”

The priest walked down the church aisle, the altar servers following after them with their heads raised high. The intricately designed church was filled with sopranos and altos lifting up their voices as they sang the recessional hymn.

In a far off corner, away from all the ear pounding noise, a young man sporting a Mohawk was gulping in mouthfuls of air. He barely made it to the end of mass because of traffic between where he worked and the location of the church.

He pressed his back on the wall, sliding down slowly as he wiped away perspiration on his forehead with the sleeve of his shirt. He was wearing a black dress shirt and an ed grey vest, finishing off his crisp clean look with white slacks.

He has been running late for Sunday mass for a few weeks now because he was busy preparing his group’s comeback album.

The famous man with the Mohawk. In the Western society, if one asked a stranger who was “the famous man with the Mohawk” is most would reply with the answer “David Beckham” or “Mr. T.” But this man was obviously neither of the two.

This man was someone who was known throughout the world who inched his ways into people’s hearts with his voice and talents… he was the singer of Wedding Dress and a member of the top hallyu idol group Big Bang. His stage named was Taeyang or SOL. What is real name? Dong Youngbae.

Youngbae pushed himself up from the floor, having steadied his breathing. He brushed off his jeans and adjusted his vest before he joined in singing the recessional hymn.

“You’re late.”

Youngbae turned around, with raised eyebrows, still singing along to the song. Behind him stood a chubby tall man with the head of a medium sized box. The man was known as Kang Ho Dong, a former Korean wrestler and now a current comedic MC for various Korean variety shows.

Youngbae smiled sheepishly at Kang Ho Dong before opening his mouth to reply.

“Ah, hyung, mianhaeyo… I was practicing for Big Bang’s come back. Jiyong wouldn’t let me leave until I perfected my part.”

“Yah, tell that dragon that God is more important than practice… Without God, we wouldn’t be here, arraso?”

“Hyung,” Youngbae whined. “Let’s just drop it, neh? At least I’m here.”

Kang Ho Dong sighed, showing defeat.

The recessional hymn ended. People started to say their goodbyes to each other, bowing and shaking hands before scurrying out to their schedules.

Youngbae sighed, wondering when he will ever be able to come to church on time. He turned around to leave the church.

“Kim Haneul!  Yah, where do you think you’re going?”

A girl with raven black wavy hair flew past Youngbae, her giggles trailing behind her as Youngbae stared after her with his mouth wide open.

“Sorry grandmother, I have to go somewhere,” said a ringing voice in clear fluent English.

Youngbae stared after the lean, toned figure as she pushed open the double doors, her hair flowing behind her with her purse slung over her shoulder. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, head tilted to the side. The girl was unfamiliar to him, and the church rarely had new comers wanting to attend church.

A frail, pale grandmother staggered past Youngbae, frantically waving her cane at the young girl.

“Hanuel-ah! Genevieve! Come back here!”

But it was too late. The girl was already gone, having hopped in a taxi to bring her where she wished.

“Halmoni, are you okay?” Youngbae asked, gripping her shoulders gently.

“Huh? Oh, aigoo, my granddaughter just moved back from America and she’s already forgetting about her poor lonely halmoni.”

“Is that why she talked in English?”

“That’s right.”

Youngbae glanced at the double doors, countless thoughts running around in his bright mind.