Chapter One

As I Lay Dying

RyeoWook waited, body trembling, outside the room where his patient was currently going through surgery. Tears streamed steadily down his face as he looked every few seconds at the closed door. He had never regretted something more than today, the decision to let Henry’s roommate’s doctor drive him to the chemo centre and back. He should have done it himself, had he not been so tired after doing the treatment on Henry for hours the previous night. It was all his fault.

He looked up again as the door opened, and a doctor emerged, pulling the surgical mask from his face as he walked toward RyeoWook. RyeoWook wiped the tears from his face, and stood to greet the doctor, only to feel more tears fill his eyes as he took in the glum expression on the doctor’s face.

“RyeoWook-ssi.” the doctor looked behind him after greeting him.

“Where is Henry-ssi’s family?” he asked, seeing the corridor empty at midnight excluding RyeoWook and himself.

“He doesn’t have any. How is he?” RyeoWook asked, looking at the still closed door behind the doctor.

“RyeoWook-ssi, I’m afraid he’s not going to make it. We tried our best, but the bleeding was too much for him. He can’t recover in time, not with his cancer at this stage. His body isn’t strong enough.”

“What? No, no, you have to do something! You have to save him!” RyeoWook screamed, grabbing the lapels of the doctor’s coat in desperation.

“I’m sorry,” the doctor said, removing RyeoWook’s hands from his coat, and embracing the young man shortly.

“He wants to see you,” the doctor told him.

“O.. okay,” RyeoWook said, and walked toward the door. He made sure his face was smiling and his eyes were dry before he pushed open the door to see Henry propped up on several pillows, smiling at him.

“RyeoWook hyung! You came for me,” Henry greeted him. His voice was hoarse and weak, and his skin pallid, but somehow the younger was smiling as brightly as if they were out on another outing. He nodded, pushing back tears, and sat on the chair next to Henry’s bed.

“Of course,” RyeoWook assured him, taking Henry’s thin hand in his own, and rubbing the cold skin against his cheek in an attempt to warm him.

Henry smiled again, and tried to sit up straight, but RyeoWook stopped him. The doctor had said any movement could restart the internal bleeding, not that it mattered at this stage. He was dying. RyeoWook could see it, in the way Henry’s body slumped energy-less against the pillows, and he couldn’t keep his hand in RyeoWook’s without RyeoWook holding it tightly.

“It’s going to be okay, you know,” Henry said quietly, when he saw RyeoWook’s eyes fill with tears again. his thumb moved slowly on the back of RyeoWook’s hand, trying to comfort the older as he cried helplessly. There was nothing he could do to save Henry; yet if he could, he would give his life to save the younger. He was so small; he deserved another chance at life.

“It’s not,” RyeoWook sobbed, leaning his head against Henry’s shoulder.

“You’re going to be fine without me. And think about it, when I go to heaven, I won’t be in pain anymore,” Henry comforted him.

“I know, but I’m going to miss you so much,” RyeoWook said, trying to find the scent that was Henry, but only managing to smell chemicals and blood.

“I’m going to see my family,” Henry whispered.

“I’m your family too,” RyeoWook sniffed.

“Yes, you are. You’re the first person to ever love me, RyeoWook hyung, and I love you too. Don’t forget me okay? I’ll look over you from heaven,” Henry said, a small real smile gracing his lips as he lay on the pillows.

“It’s not possible to forget you,” RyeoWook told him, and Henry’s smile grew.

“Will you do me a favour?” Henry asked weakly.

“Anything.”

“My roommate, he’s in the same situation as me. Will you help him live, really live, the way you helped me to do, for the remainder of his life?” Henry requested.

“Of course,” RyeoWook promised, not knowing who Henry’s roommate was, but this was his dying wish. How could he not agree?

“I love you RyeoWook hyung,” Henry whispered, and his voice sounded noticeably weaker. RyeoWook pulled back to look at Henry, whose eyes were closing steadily.

“I love you too, Henry-ah,” RyeoWook whispered, and pressed his lips to Henry’s forehead. He watched as Henry slipped into a peaceful sleep, and then switched his gaze to the heart monitor, watching as the beats slowly decreased and the line went flat.

A rapid beeping noise began and he stood up from the chair, adjusting the pillows under Henry’s head and covering his completely with the blanket. He felt his heart pulling down more and more as he looked at Henry’s peaceful face, and smoothed the hair back from Henry’s pale forehead. As usual, the hair flopped back in a messy fashion, making RyeoWook smile through his tears.

A doctor walked through the door, and RyeoWook released Henry’s hand from his grasp, laying it neatly on the side of Henry’s cold body.

“Sir, you can’t be here,” the doctor said, putting a frm hand on RyeoWook’s shoulder and leading him out the door.

“I have no reason to be,” RyeoWook whispered, more to himself. He walked blindly out, and the made his way down to the hospital gardens where he and Henry had spent so much time together. The waving flowers around him made him miss Henry less, made the ache in his heart a little less, made his tears dry up a bit.

He looked to the heavens, where he was sure Henry was now, and smiled. He would try his hardest to fulfil Henry’s dying wish. He would make this roommate of Henry’s the happiest he’d ever been for the remainder of his life instead of simply wasting away.

And he would succeed.

“Wish me luck, Henry-ah.”

 

Birthday chapter for everyone :D Hope you enjoy it, and my other four fanfic updates :D I love you all :D Happy Birthday to me :D

MaeRi~