After Class

Viola

 

“I think it’ll be difficult for Santa to get me what I want for Christmas,” I said, plopping down in my seat next to Sulli. She turned to me, her long brown hair toppling down her shoulders like a waterfall of molten chocolate, “What do you want for Christmas?” She asked. I shook my head, starting to regret even mentioning it. She smiled at me and nudged me with her elbow. The butterflies in my stomach flipped cartwheels.“Tell me!”
 
I looked down at the ugly navy carpet of the orchestra room, “Well....I don’t think you can fit down the chimney. Or in a box, for that matter.” I glanced at her, waiting for her reaction. Sulli smiled down at the ground and looked at me, “I can too fit down the chimney! Try to pull a fat joke on me, eh?” I laughed. “No...you're not fat.” I turned back to the front of the room as our overweight teacher waddled to the podium set up in front of all of our stands.
 
I slid my rosin rock back into my blue case and put my bow on our stand. Luna, my best friend looked at me, “Your music today.” I groaned and leaned back down to my case, ping a flap and pulling out our concert music. I looked up to find Sulli’s intense dark eyes staring into my soul. I numbly passed Luna, my stand partner, the music, my eyes glued to Sulli. Suddenly my mouth felt dry, and I couldn’t speak, getting lost in those deep night sky eyes.
 
I managed to tear my eyes from her and face the front, my viola laying in my lap. “Okay.....let’s start with El Toro,” Mrs. Song said as she sat down with a huff, her fashionable skirt ruffling as she sat down on her chair. I put my bow on my D string, looking up at her for a cue. With a flick of her wrist we were off, the song rolling off of my viola.
 
I felt myself getting into the music, pouring part of myself into the music. When the concert that was coming would be over, everyone would forget the songs we played, brushing them off like some sort of annoying fly trying to get on your sandwich. But I don’t like forgetting a song. I think that when you forget a song, you forget a part of yourself, a memory of the past.
 
When you play in a concert; it’s like pouring your heart and soul into those pieces, and playing for your audience. I don’t even know how to describe how playing the viola felt. I chose the viola because it’s mellower than the violin. It’s different. I mean, everyone always picks the violin because everyone knows what it is. Most of the violas have no idea what the viola is when they pick it up. 
 
Usually the violas are the weak point in the orchestra, too. I can honestly say that’s kind of true. Sometimes when we play with both of our classes together, I feel like we get drowned out and no one can hear us, even when Luna and I play our hardest. As soon as we finished El Toro, the bell rang. ‘Are you kidding? Just one song? Wow.’ I shook my head in disappointment and snatch my music off of Luna and I’s stand, stuffing it back into my case. I guess Sulli noticed my annoyance and placed a warm hand on my shoulder.
 
I slumped in defeat, looking up into those eyes. Dang those eyes. I swear no one has Sulli’s eyes. They’re one of a kind. A mixture of sad brown and shockingly deep black color with little flecks of hope shining in them. “Hey, it’s alright,” she said in that sweet voice I had been dying to hear all day. I thought she was going to let go of me, but instead we sat there for a little bit.
 
I felt her fingers tangle in my hair, and she leaned down. I felt her minty breath down my neck. Her fingers lightly scraped my scalp. Her strawberry smelling perfume intoxicated me, making me feel dizzy. “We can always practice at my house.” She gave me a dirty grin, her eyes dreamy and I choked. “W-w-we’re t-talking about t-the music f-f-for the c-concert, right?” I asked her. She snapped out of her gaze. “Of course,” she murmured seductively, her fingers leaving my hair and trailing down my jawline.
 
She leaned down until we were inches away from each other, face to face. Sulli her pink lips, staring at my mouth. “What else would I be talking about?” I stared at her, dumbly. Oh, Sulli. What have you done to me? “Girls?” I heard Mrs. Song called from her post in the hallway. She couldn’t see us, right? I looked around, when did everyone leave? We needed to go before the teacher came.
 
I still couldn’t move, though.  Sulli had her hands resting on my thighs, pinning me down on my chair, still leaning in on me. “S-S-Sulli,” I breathed, her scent making my head spin. “Yes?” She murmured against my lips. Yes. I could feel her soft lips brushing my own as she talked, sending waves of pleasure and longing up my spine. I shivered, suddenly desperate for pressed fully against mine. My eyes closed as a her lips met mine, and I in a gasp. “D-don’t!” Her kisses trailed down my jawline and to my neck. My fingers tangled in her soft hair. I moaned softly. “Oh...Sulli.”
 
She pulled away from me and my earlobe. “What’s the matter?” She whispered, smiling into my neck. I felt her hands making their way slowly to the bottoms of my jeans. “Can’t handle it?” I heard the door slam behind our teacher, and Mrs. Song’s footsteps boomed. “Girls?” Her voice kept getting louder and louder. Oh , I thought. At the last possible moment, Sulli planted another firm kiss on my lips and on my neck before she broke apart from me. She faked a smile as she turned to our confused teacher.
 
“Sorry, Mrs. S. We were having some trouble with her case, and I was helping her shut it.” Sulli smiled as if nothing had happened. Mrs. Song looked at me for confirmation, and I nodded with my mouth shut. I didn’t trust myself to say anything. “Alright, well let’s go to class, okay, girls,” Mrs. S said and walked into her office. Sulli turned to face me, “Oh my God, that was freaking close!” Instead of answering her, I stared dumbly at her. She had kissed me.
 
“Come on, we should go before we’re really late,” Sulli said, taking my hand and pulling me up on my feet. As we barged out the orchestra door to an empty hallway, she kissed me sweetly one last time. “I love you.” The words echoed in the corridor and I grinned.