10 (+1)

Leading Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I miscounted and wrote 11 OTL So I'll leave the bonus one here.


1. Tank Top – Family Force 5

“Hyukjae,” Donghae says quietly, reaching out for his friend’s arm. “I’m scared.”

The redhead rolls his eyes and brings an arm around Donghae’s shoulders, walking him further into the club. “And why is that?”

Donghae is silent before he gestures for Hyukjae to lean closer. Cupping a hand around his ear, he whispers, “I see hot people,” as if he were surrounded by zombies and didn’t want them to become aware of his presence.

Hyukjae shakes his head and questions why he’d thought bringing Donghae here had been a good idea. “Don’t worry about it; just stick with me. I’m hotter than all of them anyway.”

Donghae raises an eyebrow before stepping back slightly. Hyukjae wonders if he’s suddenly seeing him as a threat when his eyes start travelling up and down his body, obviously checking out his arms in his black tank top. “Can’t argue with that.”

2. Eyes, Smoke, Magic – Ayumi Hamasaki

Hyukjae applies a little more eyeliner to his upper lid, darkening it even though it won’t be visible when he opens his eye. He spreads it over the skin, creating smoky clouds around his eyes until he looks more like a mysterious witch than a backup dancer for a musical. Once his mask his complete, he plasters on a smile and makes his way to join the others.

The show is a success as usual, in no small part to Hyukjae leading the other backups and helping them become more than mere extras. He knows his efforts will not be appreciated – who ever looks for the dark figures in the back when there are so many gaudy colours and costumes at the front? – but he takes pride in his work. The industry is miserable and the people as fake as his bright expressions, but his movements are true and his words are heard even if his voice is mixed in with so many others.

He is alone yet surrounded. He is flawless yet unappreciated.

But it’s okay. There’s always the next show tomorrow, and maybe someday he will be noticed.

Until then, the show continues.

3. Break the Ice – Britney Spears

Donghae has never felt so out of place. A normal club is barely familiar enough; the heavy music allowing him to drown out his thoughts and fears and become confident enough to lose himself in dance.

A strip club is another story.

He should’ve known better than to go along with Sungmin’s chirpy grin and Kyuhyun’s suspicious wink, but before he could say ‘hesitation’ he found himself on a lone chair in a small room with one small circular stage centred by one shiny pole. The man before him was all confidence and charm, assurance and flirtation.

Donghae isn’t used to attention, let alone so much of it from such a strong character.

The shirtless man saunters up to him, sitting down on his legs and draping his muscular arms over his shoulders. “Let me introduce myself,” he says. Donghae suddenly feels a little lighter.

4. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – Taylor Swift

“No.” Donghae ignores the teenager’s protests over the phone. “I am not getting with you.”

“But Donghae,” a whine rings in clearly. “I haven’t got anybody else to do it with, and you’re so good at it! You know I love you, right? I really do.”

“Yeah right,” Donghae scoffs, “you said that last time. And the time before that. You even told your friends about me!”

“But that’s only because you’re so awesome! And I can’t keep that to myself. Everyone should know about your amazing prowess! It would be a crime to keep it quiet.”

“Hyukjae,” Donghae says slowly and clearly. “We are never, ever, getting back together. Do your science project by yourself. You at it.”

Hyukjae perseveres for ten minutes before giving up. Donghae is stubborn as when determined.

5. Gorgeous – Dong Bang Shin Ki

It wasn’t supposed to go like this.

Donghae had very clearly expressed that he didn’t want anything to do with them, and Hyukjae had left to help in the war that split them apart. He had watched from the sidelines as Donghae’s clan slay his own, ripping through their bodies and tossing them aside like unwanted dolls.

He told himself he hated him. Blamed him for his betrayal. Sworn to never care for him again.

So why does he find himself leaning over his ex-lover’s beaten form, forcing his magic into his body and racing through his blood vessels in search of the poison crushing the life out of him from the insi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter