Being Weird Is Just Not Enough

Because Sometimes...

“F-FUJI S-SENPAI!”

 

Mina turned around slowly, almost as if expecting the loud outburst from behind her. As she turned, her hair was ruffled in the wind, and her skirt seemed to be airborne on a whimsy breeze that kept it ever-fluttering. As she tucked her hair behind her ear, Hongki froze in place and instantly reddened in the face.

 

“S-senpai noticed me?” He asked slowly, as astonished as his words sounded. Nervous and shaking, he tried to take a step back, but instantly tripped over the hem of his pants and fell flat on his backside, scattering his books every which way.

 

Mina began to laugh, and put her books down on the grass as she knelt to help Hongki pick up his books. When their hands met on one of his books, they looked up into each other’s eyes and Mina gave Hongki a sweet smile. “Of course! Lee-kun, right?”

 

Hongki could have swooned. He nodded quickly and averted his gaze, not able to look at Mina’s shining smile – one that covered the background in pink glitter and shimmering roses and made his face turn as red as a ripe strawberry. “Lee-kun?” Hongki looked up, his heart beating fast.

 

S-senpai knows my name. S-senpai noticed me! He thought to himself as he clutched his books fast to his chest. “Y-yes, S-senpai?”

 

Mina’s smile grew larger, and she held out a hand to help him stand up. “Can I call you Hongki?” Hongki nodded vigorously, as if he was elated to have her call him by name. “Good! Then you can call me ‘Mina’.”

 

“T-thank you Senpai!”

 

Mina shook her head, knowing the attempt, and any further attempts, were futile. “Where are you headed, Hongki?”

 

“I-I’m going to the bakery, S-senpai!” He said nervously, but also with a hint of excitement, hoping that she would also be heading to the bakery. And, almost by fate, she was.

 

“Then we can go together!”

 

Hongki could have died of excitement.

 

 

The golden afternoon was still buzzing with excitement as Mina and Hongki sat on a park bench, eating the bread they’d gotten in the bakery. Mina made light conversation as Hongki listened on, his face near rapturing with excitement and complete and undivided attention.

 

When Mina leftover custard off of her fingers, she turned to look at Hongki, who was happily taking small bites out of his bread – having barely eaten one-fourth of the pastry when she had finished hers already. Mina laughed and reached over to ruffle Hongki’s blonde hair with her clean hand as she cleaned off the other with a napkin. “You eat so cutely, like a little squirrel!” She .

 

Hongki looked up from his bread and instantly pouted. “I-I do not! Senpai!” He whined.

 

Finding him even cuter, Mina continued to ruffle his hair, using both of her hands this time. “You’re so cute!”

 

“S-senpai! Please!” He said indignantly, but when she showed no signs of relenting, he continued to pout – although on the inside, his heart was thumping fast.

 

Senpai was touching him!

 

 

After they had both finished their schoolwork, Mina went off in search of some ice cream to cool them off. Hongki waited on the park bench, swinging his feet and looking very happy with himself. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a group of men clad in entirely in black came up to stand in front of Hongki. “Look at this one, sitting here alone.”

 

Hongki looked up, not knowing what to say – when, again out of nowhere, Mina appeared behind the men and pushed them aside, completely nonchalant. “They were selling a huge, really cute sundae, so I hope you don’t mind that we share it.” She said to Hongki, handing him the box containing their ice cream before turning around to glare at the men. They instantly blanched at the sight of her death glare, and ran down the hill, away from them – although, it was more like rolling down the hill.

 

“Sorry about them. I didn’t think they would – “

 

“T-THANK YOU, SENPAI!” Hongki lifted himself onto his knees on the bench and bowed to her, making her giggle. She sat down next to the kneeling Hongki and took the box from him, opening it and handing him a spoon.

 

“It wasn’t a big deal. Now, let’s eat!”

 

 

 

As the sun began to set, Mina checked the time on her phone and sighed. She leaned her head on Hongki’s shoulder and said softly, “I should go home. It’s getting late…”

 

Hongki’s happy expression fell, and he replied sadly, “A-already?”

 

Mina nodded and took her head off of his shoulder to pick up her bag and books. “Yeah. I should go now. Thank you for spending the day with me, though.”

 

She stood up and waved to Hongki, as he seemed too frozen to do anything else, and turned to walk down the hill, when Hongki suddenly stood up behind her.

 

“F-FUJI SENPAI!”

 

Mina jumped, and she, and everyone within hearing proximity stopped to look at Hongki. She tilted her head to the side, her eyes wide with innocence and curiosity. Hongki felt momentarily blinded and stunned by her beauty, and the shimmering roses that had once again appeared in his mind’s eye.

 

“I-I…” When Mina only blinked, Hongki ran forward and grabbed Mina’s hands in his. “I-I LOVE YOU, SENPAI!”

 

While all the people around them cheered on, Mina pulled her hands away from Hongki’s grip and instead enveloped him in a hug. His face lit up, and turned a bright, pure red. When she let go, Hongki looked dazed, and he muttered, “S-senpai hugged me…” before fainting.

 

 

“You did well. That was a really realistic faint.”

 

“Well, we had an audience. And it was fun!”

 

Mina shook her head again. “I think we were being watched since the first moment you shouted, ‘FUJI SENPAI’.” But there was a smile on her face, showing her amusement, rather than annoyance. “I can’t believe that this was one of the things you wanted us to do together.”

 

“I thought it’d be fun. No one knows me here, anyway. And now they all know you’re mine.” Hongki chuckled, putting his arm through Mina’s, and holding her close. It was her turn to blush, finally free to express her true emotions.

 

“Oh, whatever…”

 

When they arrived on her doorstep, Mina looked at him, almost sadly. “Are you sure you don’t want me to walk you to the hotel? I feel bad for leaving you on your own in a country you hardly know.”

 

Hongki shook his head and waved his hand with an air of pride. “I’ll be fine. I’ll just snag a taxi. And I wanted to walk you home.”

 

Mina covered one of her cheeks, blushing again. “You’re too sweet…” As she pulled her keys out of her pocket, she leaned forward and gently kissed Hongki on the lips. “Thank you for the fun today. Let’s do something again tomorrow, okay, Hongki?”

 

“Of course, yeobo.” He smiled mischievously, and suddenly clasped his cheeks with his hands and gave Mina an expression of utter delight. “S-SENPAI KISSED ME!”

 

Mina laughed and playfully smacked his back. “Oh, shut up. Someone will hear you.”

 

Hongki shrugged dismissively and leaned forward to kiss his girlfriend again. “I don’t really care. They’ll know you’re mine. I’ll be going, then. I’ll call when I get to the hotel.”

 

“Okay. Bye, weirdo.”

 

“Bye Senpai!” Hongki said, laughing as Mina stepped into her house, giggling to herself.

 


I hope you enjoyed it!

I have more "Senpai" pictures, that I didn't fit in, but thought would be fun anyway.