The Cosmos Above Planned It This Way

The Fascination That Is Sulli Choi

If someone wanted to write an autobiography about my life, then I'll tell you that 1. It is a very idea, because 2. My life isn't that interesting and 3. The only excitement in my life is always brought upon by Sulli Choi. A girl that the cosmos above decided would be the one for me to live across the street from. And even so, my childhood best friend.  

Sulli Choi is, and never has been, a simple person. She is an enigma and a heroine. Basically, once you meet her, you're guaranteed to fall in love with her. I am living proof of that. 

When we were ten and eleven years old, I remember that our parents brought us with them to a fancy dinner at some banquet hall. For whatever the reason, I still can't figure that out. But, we sat on the rough and tasteless designer carpet in the hall, her head resting on my shoulder, and we were silent. We didn't need to say anything at all, we communicated in odd gestures and glances that most adults around us would never understand. Behind the large elaborate doors, we heard music and loud conversation which personally irritated me. I was not immune to loudness. It was one of many reasons why I liked Sulli; she was quiet. But notsomuch that you would never hear her talk. She talked quite a bit, but she was never obnoxious about it.

When someone decided to raise the volume in the room, I cringed and she must have noticed because then she stood up, reached for my hand and took me to a room. It was a lounge actually, and no one was in there. We sat on the couch, though it wasn't exactly comfortable. We were still silent. 

After a while, she said; "Tell me a secret." And I looked at her wide-eyed, not quite surely knowing what she meant.

"Tell me something that only I can ever know." Her eyes were downcast on the floor. I knew what I wanted to say, but I wasn't sure if I should. I wondered if maybe my love for Sulli Choi should remain a secret that I only know. 

When I didn't respond, she blinked twice, stared at me with her wide eyes, then they went back to the floor. 

"I see." Was all she said. "Can you keep this a secret?" And then she kissed me. On the lips, just barely touching. 

We stayed that for a little, then she pulled away and smiled. 

"I wanted to be your first." She said.

"I won't tell anyone." I assured. But she didn't say anything. 

She rested her head on my shoulder, her breathing slowing down until she was fast asleep. I replayed the memory in my head, amazed by the fact that Sulli Choi was the first girl I had ever kissed. But I could never tell, because I told her I wouldn't. I joined her, sleeping, and since I was in my bedroom when I woke up, I assumed that we slept together on that couch for awhile. Just us two. And it's a thought I relive every day, when I need reassurance.  

Sometimes I regret not telling her that I loved her, but the scene might not have ended the same way, so I feel satisfied. Knowing that I had my first kiss with the girl of my dreams, and we shared a moment that no one could ruin.

 

When I started high school, a year before she did, I oddly enough found new friends and a higher social status. It wasn't that no one liked me before, I was just always quiet and preferring Sulli's company to my classmates. But since I was forced into independence for freshman year, I found that I was a likeable person. 

"Of course you're likeable, Taemin." Sulli was not in disbelief like I had assumed when I told her. The 13-year-old was sprawled out on my bed, going through her magazines. I sat across from her in my office chair, strangely amused by her small fingers turning the glossy pages.

"What makes me likeable though?" 

"Jeez, you're acting like a teenage girl, not a boy." She laughed. "At any rate, you're a friendly person, and really not all boring. Why do you think we get along so well?" 

"You needed someone to hang out with." I said, to which she responded by tossing a magazine at me.

"Sulli Choi, that was uncalled for."

"That's describing everything I do." She commented. She came to sit on my lap, and being much bigger than her small frame, I hugged her and she hid her face in my shirt, her long hair flowing over her shoulders.

"I'm gonna miss you, Taemin." She said.

"Why? I'm not going anywhere." 

"That's what you think." And then she was asleep. And I had no chance of knowing what she meant.