Out Cold

Hide and Seek

 

Colors:
Jinyoung
Eunji

CHAPTER 1: Out Cold

A light breeze causes the branches overhead to rattle like wooden wind chimes. This is a popular retreat for couples in the deciduous trees provide a beautiful green canopy, far out of sight of teachers and fellow students. But now, in late winter, Jinyoung feels like he’s standing under a pile of kindling. He breathe into his cupped hands and rub them together furiously to prevent them from numbing in this cold.
“Just how long am I expected to wait here, anyway? I’m sure the note says 4:00 PM.” Ah yes . . . the note . . . slipped between the pages of Jinyoung’s math book while he wasn’t looking. As far as clichés go, he’s more a fan of the letter-in-the-locker, but at least this way shows a bit of initiative. As he ponders the meaning of the note, the snowfall gradually thickens. The snowflakes silently falling from the white-painted sky are the only sign of time passing in this stagnant world. Their slow descent upon the frozen forest makes it seem like time has slowed to a crawl. The rustling of dry snow underfoot startles him, interrupting the quiet mood. Someone is approaching him from behind.
“Ji . . . Jinyoung? You came?” A hesitating, barely audible question. However, Jinyoung recognize the owner of that dainty voice instantly. He feels his heart skip a beat. It’s a voice he has listened to hundreds of times, but never as more than an eavesdropper to a conversation. He turns his face to this voice, the voice of his dreams and his heart begins to race . . .
“Eunji-sshi? I got a note telling me to wait here . . . it was yours?” “Dammit. I spent all afternoon trying to come up with a good line and that was the result. Pathetic.”  Jinyoung curse to himself.
“Ahmm . . . yes. I asked a friend to give you that note . . . I’m so glad you got it.” A shy, joyous smile that makes him so tense he couldn’t move a single muscle even if he tried. His heart is pounding now, as if it were trying to burst out from his chest and claim the girl for itself.
“So . . . ah . . . here we are. Out in the cold . . .” Once again, the wind stirs up the branches. The cacophonous noise is music to Jinyoung’s ears. Eunji flinches over so softly against the gust of wind. As it passes, she rights herself, as if supported by some new confidence. Her eyes lock with his and she lazily twirls her long, dark hair around her finger. All the while, the anxious beating of his heart grows louder. His throat is tight; he doubts he could even force a word out if he tried.
“You see . . .”
“. . . I wanted to know . . .”
“. . . If you’d go out with me . . .”
He stand there, motionless, save for his pounding heart. Jinyoung wanted to say something in reply, but his vocal cords feel like they’ve been stretched beyond the breaking point.
“. . . Jinyoung?” he reached up to try to massage his throat but this only sends spike of blinding pain along his arms.
“Jinyoung?!” His whole body freezes, save for his eyes, which shoot open in terror.
“JINYOUNG!” The beating in his chest suddenly stops and he go weak at the knees.
 

“The world around me – the canopy of bare branches, the dull winter sky, Eunji running towards me – all these fade to black.” The last thing Jinyoung remember before slipping away are the sounds of Eunji screaming for help and the incessant clatter of the branches above.