Meant to be

Meant to be

If it’s meant to be, no matter how long the path, how winded the journey may seem, then it will be.

¨

If asked why he, a young and successful architect, is still single, Jongin won’t know what to say. He won’t reject the compliment either. Why should he when it’s all true? He is young, at the age of 24, perfectly healthy as any young men should be, plus it’s not that easy finding someone his age with his own apartment in one of the best part of the city and with a very stable and well paying job at that.

So it comes as a surprise to him as well by the fact that he is sadly still single. That is the only flaw on his otherwise perfect profile. He’s not by any chance bad looking, it is the opposite in fact. He has sharp features people would kill for and a wonderful sun-kissed skin. That stands out most, he’s been told many times. So his looks must not be the problem and as far as he knows, his breath doesn’t smell and he himself doesn't smell and overall he’s an all around the perfect guy.

He admits he’s actually quite popular where he works and he has a few admirers on his sleeve, some very good looking. So why hasn't he dated any of these men or women? Well the problem lies wholly with him. He just doesn't like them. Period. From when he was still a child, he had always known what he wants or likes, and if he didn't, he made that clear and he wouldn't force himself to like it. When he became an adult and left his childhood home where his parents still live, he took that habit of his with him.

So whenever any of his admirers had enough courage to ask him out (only three did), he politely rejected them. It helps that he is naturally charming although shy, so they let him be, only slightly disappointed but they didn't hold a grudge against him.

Another thing about him that nobody would expect is that deep down he is an absolute romantic. He reads good romance novels occasionally and he never rejects his sisters’ offer to watch romantic comedies with them as their way to spend some time together. And each time he finishes reading a particularly good book or having ended the night watching a great romance movie, he would lie on his bed thinking, there is someone out there for me, someday I will meet him by chance, or not, and I will fall in love. And I will be happy.

He doesn't know it yet, but his true love is closer than he might think. Their fates have been intertwined but they just haven’t figured it out.

¨

If asked what true love feels like, Kyungsoo will simply smile, his eyes crinkled on the sides, and in his soothing voice answers, “If what I’m feeling now is true love, then I might say it is nothing that anyone can imagine. It’s more than wonderful.”

Then his eyes will wander towards the window of the café where he usually spends time with his close friend, but not really seeing, instead he will be thinking about his long time boyfriend, Hyunsik. He checks his watch, noting to himself that Hyunsik is by now probably just wrapping up an important business meeting in Busan, where he’s been since the day before. Kyungsoo considers texting him but decides against it, just in case the meeting runs late.

He then continues to listen to his best friend, who is currently talking animatedly about someone he met the other day. The guy seemed nice but he didn't want to seem too excited so he’s waiting another day before calling him, his best friend says. Kyungsoo only smiles, finding his friend cute for worrying about such thing.

Unconsciously, he thinks back to how he and Hyunsik got together. They were in the same university, the latter was in the year above. Hyunsik had asked him out first, saying how he was awestruck by his cuteness and adorableness the first time he saw him, being as young as he was, Kyungsoo blushed and fell for the honey-coated words, although he didn't regret it. He agreed to the date and things just went on smoothly after that.

It had been almost four years since then, but Kyungsoo is becoming restless. He won't admit this to anyone, not even his best friend, but he thinks it’s time that they moved on to another level. He wants to get married. There’s nothing stopping them, they both have stable occupations, Hyunsik as a marketing manager and him as an owner of a small bakery near the business district, where Hyunsik’s office is located. And they have their parents’ approval. So why isn’t it happening already?

Because even if he wants it, Hyunsik doesn't seem to have the same wish. Not that Kyungsoo ever brought the topic up before but it’s obvious, if he did really want to marry him, he would have asked even without Kyungsoo hinting on it.

Nonetheless, their fourth anniversary is coming up, he doesn't want to get his hopes high but usually, anniversaries are the day when the question is always asked, and besides Hyunsik seems to be extra happy nowadays. That seems to be a good sign.

Of course, things aren’t always what it seems.

¨

It is lunch time and as usual, he never stops doing his work even a minute before the clock strikes 1. When at last it does, he still waits a few more minutes seeing that he needs to quickly finish what he’s doing, before finally standing up from his chair to leave his office. He has made a promise to join a colleague of his for lunch.

Said colleague is already waiting for him near the reception, and as soon as he sees Jongin approaching, he waves goodbye to the pretty receptionist and leads the way out of the office and consequently the building.

When the sun hits his face, Jongin puts on the sunglasses he remembered to take with him and turns to face his companion, “So where are we going hyung?”

“I know a good place near here. It’s fairly new but I heard it’s good. Come, follow me.” Then he leads the way again. This time, Jongin makes sure that they’re walking side by side, making small talk about the office and their personal lives.

Despite being a son of a rich businessman, Chanyeol had chosen to not depend on his family’s name but to rise to the top on his own will and hard work. And that he does, he’s the only other young man besides himself that Jongin knows to be very successful at a young age. Maybe that is why they get along so well.

Chanyeol has brought them to a traditional Korean restaurant, and like he said, the place does look new. And as they enter and once the smell hits him, he doesn't doubt that the food will be good too.

Once they order that day’s lunch special, they continue with their small talk, only stopping once their food has arrived after which they proceed to eat in silence. Only occasionally does Jongin look up from his delicious meal and glances around the restaurant. There aren’t a lot of people surprisingly, he concludes that it’s probably due to the fact that it’s new and not a lot of people know about it. He makes a mental note to recommend the place to his friends outside of work, knowing that Chanyeol must have recommended it to everyone in the office already.

Not long after their plates are taken away, Chanyeol’s phone that is placed face up on the table lights up, indicating an incoming call. Unintentionally, Jongin peeps at the screen, the call is from an unknown number. Chanyeol however doesn't seem bothered by this, instead he smiles that wide smile of his and excuses himself and proceeds to grab the phone and walks to a corner of the restaurant where it’s relatively quiet and where no one might be able to hear him.

Jongin isn’t offended by this of course, Chanyeol deserves some privacy after all. To fill his time, he continues observing the restaurant, he notices that the renovation works aren’t entirely finished, although not obvious but he guesses when the shop closes at night, the works will continue and they’ll probably be done in a week or so.

Before he can find another fault in the place, Chanyeol comes back, looking more cheerful than ever. Only assuming that he must have heard good news from whoever was calling him, Jongin chooses not to pry.

After they pay their own share of bills, Chanyeol has stopped insisting to pay for everything after turned down so many times by Jongin, they leave the place with a full stomach. As soon as he turns left towards the direction of the office however, Chanyeol grabs his arm, “Can you come with me to someplace else first? The receptionist asked me to get something for her, but I’m not exactly sure where the place is. Maybe you’ll know.”

Checking his watch, realizing that they still have a lot of time left to kill, Jongin nods and walks alongside Chanyeol in the opposite direction. The place happens to be a bakery that said receptionist loves so much and it turns out, Jongin too doesn't know the place, but with the help of the map on their respective smart phones, they manage to find it.

The bakery is called Do’s Bakery. The receptionist has specifically mentioned to Chanyeol that she wants the muffin pie from Do’s Bakery, not any other bakery. It must have been one heck of pie for the receptionist to boldly ask someone as high ranking as Chanyeol to get it for her. Or perhaps Chanyeol is just too nice for his own good.

The bakery itself is quite small, less than half the size of the restaurant they were in. There are only two workers behind the counter, both look like they have just entered university and are only doing part time jobs to support their tuition fees.

Without bothering to look at the display, Chanyeol  walks straight towards the counter and says to one of the worker that he wants one muffin pie, to go please. She nods and efficiently takes a paper bag and put a pie in it before handing it carefully to Chanyeol who in turn gives her the exact amount of change. As quickly as they came, they leave the premises.

Not long after, the two workers turn around when the door leading to the kitchen at the back opens, and when they see that it is the owner of the bakery aka their boss, they bow respectfully, only standing up straight as soon as he exits and walks towards his car.

¨

Kyungsoo is on his way back to his apartment, he has spent most of the morning at the bakery overlooking the arrival of fresh ingredients. Sure the store’s manager can do that for him, and he trusts him but Kyungsoo isn’t the type of an owner who doesn't do anything at all. That’s the least he can do, other than managing the finances of course and baking the cakes and pastries. He does a lot of things really.

But now that his work is done, he can’t wait to go back to his place to bake, again. That day is his and Hyunsik’s fourth anniversary. His boyfriend hasn't called him however. Not a single ‘happy anniversary baby’ or even a simple ‘good morning.’

Kyungsoo’s not disheartened about this in the least though. Hyunsik probably is just pretending to forget about it so he can surprise him later that night, and if his instinct is correct, along with a marriage proposal. So Kyungsoo goes on with his day normally.

About two hours spent in the kitchen later, he finally finishes baking the chocolate cake. It has always been Hyunsik’s favorite but Kyungsoo doesn't like it that much. He’s a cheesecake type of person, it’s not as sweet as the chocolate cake. After making sure that the cake looks absolutely perfect and that he looks absolutely perfect, he goes out again, this time driving to Hyunsik’s apartment. He is going to give him the cake as a surprise, not really caring that Hyunsik is probably planning a surprise for him too.

The time on the dashboard says 4 o’clock when he steps out of his car, so he has about an hour or so before Hyunsik returns from work. Thankfully Kyungsoo has the passcode to his apartment, so waiting for him in his own place won't be a difficult feat. He can watch TV or read something in the meantime. The plan is foolproof, Kyungsoo thinks.

The quiet and empty apartment he was expecting isn’t what greeted him as soon as he opens the door however. A vase, which has always been on the small table in the foyer has been knocked down, and is now lying in pieces on the floor. The first thought that comes to his mind is burglary. His suspicions only heighten as soon as he hears sounds coming from Hyunsik’s supposed to be empty bedroom.

He should be running out the door by now of course, yes he is scared but the fact that his boyfriend’s apartment is being robbed and he’s not doing anything about it is unacceptable. He might be small but he can defend himself alright.

Grabbing a golf club that’s conveniently standing in his line of sight with his right hand, and with the cake still on his left, placing it first on the table doesn’t seem logical to him at the moment, he marches bravely towards the direction of Hyunsik’s room.

But for the second time that day, his expectation fell short. It’s not some masked men that he sees, but the scene of his boyfriend lying in bed, half , and another man also half standing by the bed, wearing only his boxers and a white dress shirt. Kyungsoo drops the golf club instantaneously, too shocked by the sight.

At the sound, the other two people in the room finally notice his presence, Hyunsik quickly stands up from the bed, walking steadily towards Kyungsoo, panic written all over his face. The other man, to his credit seems to know who Kyungsoo is and swiftly puts on his pants.

Before Hyunsik can say anything, Kyungsoo transfers the cake from his left hand to his right with practiced movement and with all his might, throws it into the former’s face. Needless to say, the cake splatters all over him, and Kyungsoo is satisfied to note that some managed to hit the other man too.

With no words uttered, he storms out of the place, belatedly regretting letting go of the golf club. Only when he enters his car do the tears fall. Slowly at first and then it comes out like there is an endless supply and that it will never stop.

Not wanting to be there for too long lest Hyunsik might come after him, he pulls out the parking lot. The drive back to his place seems much longer than before.

As soon as he’s on his bed, his crying decreased slightly, he dials the only person he can think of to talk to, his best friend Baekhyun. He’s going to need a drinking companion tonight.

¨

The office is quiet by the time he comes back from seeing a client, he’s not surprised of course. Everyone has finished work half an hour ago. Jongin as always is in no hurry to go back. Why should he? When the only thing waiting for him is an empty apartment. He sometimes misses his dogs. Not long after he got promoted and he’s gotten busier, his sister kindly offered to take care of them. He didn't let on the fact that he knows she offered only because his spoilt niece loves the dogs.

Taking off his suit jacket, he goes straight into doing his work. He might as well start planning for the client that he just met despite the deadline being a month away. He prefers to work this way anyway, no giggly coworkers to not so subtly fawn over him and no loud Chanyeol coming to his desk just to say he figured out how to operate the office’s coffee machine (he’s only intelligent when he wants to be).

So it comes as a surprise to him when he sees someone familiar wandering around the cubicles outside his office. The man doesn’t seem to notice Jongin yet, who by now becomes even more curious when he sees the other man’s stained shirt. From inside his own office, he can’t tell exactly what it is, so out of curiosity and mild concern, Jongin neglects his work temporarily and walks over to him.

“Hey what happened to you?” he asks. Giving it a closer look, it isn’t mud or even worse blood that is on the other man’s shirt. It’s chocolate. Freaking chocolate. Jongin gives himself a mental pat on the back for not laughing at the absurdity of a grown man staining his dress shirt with chocolate of all things.

“It’s a crazy story,” the other man shrugs.

Jongin just nods. He’s not a particularly nosy guy so he doesn't press any further. He isn’t very close to the other man anyway.

“I’m going back to work then. Take care on your way back.” He isn’t nosy, he’s just nice.

The other man gives him a slight nod before grabbing the briefcase on his desk, he must have come back for it Jongin thinks, and leaves the office.

As soon as he starts focusing on his work again, any other thoughts of Ilhoon and his chocolate stained shirt left him. He doesn’t think about the fact that Ilhoon had been one of the guys who had asked him out the year before. Or the fact that had he said yes, more than one people’s fate may change.

Jongin usually goes back home whenever his stomach starts grumbling or when his eyes becomes droopy, which is around 10pm. But that night, he’s unusually more energetic and since he had a heavy meal with the client earlier, he isn’t hungry. He only leaves when the clock almost strikes midnight, and that’s only because he doesn't want to catch the security guy who talks as much, if not more, as Chanyeol when his shift starts.

Quickly waving goodbye to the much calmer and quieter security guy who Jongin assumes can’t wait to end his shift soon, Jongin heads towards the nearest train station. Doesn’t he have a car you ask? He does. So is he like some guy who really cares about the environment and air pollution? No he isn't. The only reason is that one of his sister had called him that morning and begged for him to lend her his beloved car. Being the good dongsaeng, he agreed.

This is why Jongin has to go through countless stops and two changes before he can reach the station closest to his apartment. Of course he could have just called a cab. It’s much easier and faster. He didn’t think of that earlier sadly.

It takes about ten minutes to walk from the station to his apartment. He doesn't mind it, the weather lately isn’t so cold anymore, even in the middle of the night. And the sky is clear too. He’s not usually one to appreciate the beauty of things all around him but when the view of the stars are as clear as that night, he can’t stop himself from taking a seat on a nearby bench and just stare into the sky.

His peace is interrupted not long after however. On the other side of the road he sees two men, both half a head shorter than him he think and both clearly drunk. They have their arm draped over each others’ shoulder, providing support. From where he is, Jongin can’t see their faces clearly but he can hear one of the guy mentioning about getting a cab home. The other then agrees. Jongin can’t help but smirk to himself. Good luck finding a cab.

The road they are in isn’t a busy one, Jongin knows because he lives in this area. So stopping a cab won’t be an easy feat.

The nice side of Jongin then takes over. He considers phoning a cab for them. Never mind that they are strangers but his gut feelings tell him that they’re nice strangers.

But before he can actually make a decision, something close to a miracle happens. A cab actually drives by and the slightly more sober of the two hails it. In no time, they enter the cab and it disappears from Jongin’s view.

¨

Kyungsoo wakes up not remembering the events of the night before at all, he doesn't try to. Instead he has a massive headache to care about and his throat feels so dry. Slowly he gets out of the lumps of blanket he’s in and walks even more slowly towards the kitchen to drink some much needed water. After gulping down three glasses, he starts his coffee machine before going back to his bed. He falls back asleep even before the smell of the coffee can reach his senses.

The second time he wakes up, he’s more clearheaded. The headache isn’t as painful as before. But then he remembers. Hyunsik. With another guy. The betrayal that he felt yesterday, the tears that only stopped after his fourth or fifth shot.  Baekhyun listening attentively to whatever he had to say. Drinking along with him as if that can help drown his friend’s sorrow too. And finally hailing a cab to go back to his apartment.

He abruptly stands up, ignoring the complaints his body is making and makes his way out of his bedroom and towards the living room. There sitting on the sofa where he probably slept the night before is Baekhyun, drinking coffee and watching TV. As soon as he sees the other man, he switches off the device and asks, “How are you feeling Soo?”

Overwhelmed by the concern in the other’s voice, yesterday’s events still running through his mind, he can’t help but to bawl his eyes out again. Baekhyun instantly stands up and embraces him tightly. Kyungsoo isn’t a cry baby. He might look gentle and soft, but he isn’t a cry baby. But after having a four years old relationship ruined with a betrayal like that, Baekhyun would find it hard not to cry too.

Kyungsoo calms down enough half an hour later, after being pulled down onto the sofa by Baekhyun, who soothingly rubbed his back.

“I’m sorry- tsk- for taking your- tsk- time- tsk- I should- tsk- stop crying- tsk.” He says between sobs.

“It’s alright Kyungsoo. I’m your best friend. You too would do this if I was in your place right?”

Kyungsoo nods with no hesitation. Of course he would. But he hopes he won’t have to. Baekhyun or anybody really shouldn’t have to experience this. Hurt, betrayal and frustration all at the same time.

“Listen, I know this is hard for you, I won’t say that I know the feeling,” Baekhyun starts, “Hyunsik is a bastard and he doesn't deserve you. But you must know that he’s not all you have, you haven’t lost everything. You still have me, you still have your workers at the bakery and even the ahjumma next door wouldn't mind lending a shoulder to cry on.”

Kyungsoo smiles at this. Baekhyun always knows what to say.

“So take your time, get over him. You’ll meet another man who you can love and will love you back for sure one day. For now, I have your back.”

Again Kyungsoo smiles and grabs Baekhyun into another hug, but then the sound of ‘Gee’ playing suddenly interrupts their best-friends-forever moment. Releasing himself from the hug, Baekhyun grins sheepishly before grabbing his phone from the table and walking out to the balcony to answer the call. Kyungsoo didn't miss the name that appeared on the screen - Chanyeol.

¨

Every weekend, Jongin wakes up at 7, only an hour later than he usually does on weekdays, and goes out for a run. That’s his only way to stay in shape now. Back when he was still in high school and in university, dancing was his form of exercise. Now, work takes up most of his time, by choice of course. He doesn't mind it. He still dances but rarely, and only when an old friend, Sehun calls asking to meet up that he would dance. Whether it be in club or at a proper dance studio where Sehun teaches.

Sehun hasn't called recently however, Jongin has a feeling it might have something to do with the new dance instructor that Sehun was telling him very excitedly about. So until the other does, Jongin has to resort to just running for now.

After a longer run than normal and taking a shower back in his apartment, Jongin has the sudden urge for something sweet. This is very unusual for him. He doesn't have urges, not for food especially. It’s like he’s pregnant and is craving for something that otherwise wouldn't even be thought of.

He checks his refrigerator for any desserts that he might have left over, knowing fully well that he hardly ever buys dessert to keep, to find it full of only microwaveable food, fruits and some energy drinks. Disappointed, he then tries to just forget it and lay down on his sofa to watch TV. It opens to a food channel. To the view of a middle aged woman baking something that looks like chocolate cake.

He groans loudly and without even thinking about it, he switches off the TV, grabs his car keys and leaves the apartment. Only when he’s a few blocks away does he realize that he doesn't actually know where to go. He wonders if he should just go to a nearby supermarket and get one of the manufactured baked stuff from the dessert section. But then as soon as the idea materializes, he pushes it away. He wants something freshly baked.

Remembering the bakery he and Chanyeol visited a few weeks earlier, and recalling the varieties of cakes and breads they have, he takes a U-turn and heads towards the direction of the bakery, hoping it will be open.

It is, thankfully. He’s greeted by the same workers, though they don’t seem to remember him, not that he minds. He slowly looks at the display by the counter, and like weeks ago, there are a lot of varieties that he can choose from. Making up his mind, he orders the same muffin pie the receptionist liked so much and since he’s hungry, he asks for a cheesecake too. His favorite.

 Since he has no appointments or even anything better to do, he decides to stay and eat in. He says this to the girl behind the counter and an also can I have a cup of coffee please.

When his order arrive, he starts with the muffin pie first. He isn’t disappointed. He understands the receptionist now. Jongin doesn't usually eat fast but he can’t help it. The food is good and he’s hungry. Before long, the muffin pie is gone. He drank half of his coffee too.

There is no other customer in the bakery besides him, that makes only three people in total. No music is playing in the background as well. So when the two girls start talking, Jongin can hear it from his table. He doesn't mean to but they aren’t being careful either.

“I hope he feels better soon. He's been gloomy all week.”

“Yeah he is. Baekhyun oppa came yesterday before you came, and he told me that whenever Boss is around we should never mention that bastard's name. Got it?”

It is silent after that, Jongin assumes the other girl just nods. They probably also just remembered that they weren’t the only one there. But nevertheless, not that Jongin cared, he has his cheesecake to devour. If the pie was delicious, then no words can describe the cheesecake. If he is a criminal about to be sentenced to death and if asked what his last wish is, it will be to taste this cheesecake again. Whoever created the recipe for this cheesecake deserves a bone crushing hug from Jongin. His love for cheesecake grows even more.

But Jongin is a shy person, so he won’t just come up to the workers and ask ‘hey can you tell me who made the cheesecake? Because I would like to thank him personally.’ Besides, he guesses that it’s probably the Boss who made it and from the sounds of it, Jongin thinks it’s the most inappropriate time to be dealing with the man. Maybe someday. So he leaves the shop as soon as the plate that bore the cheesecake is clean, no crumbs in sight.

¨

A month was all it took for Kyungsoo to live his life normally again. Well, as normal as possible. He forces himself to go to the bakery every morning, and sometimes he even stays until it closes. Otherwise, he would go back to his apartment to create new recipes. Of course it was hard at first, you can’t just throw four years of memories away, but as Baekhyun said, he and the people around him will help soothe the pain, no matter what. That they did.

Hyunsik has stopped calling and coming over to his apartment two weeks ago. All his efforts in explaining and providing excuses for his behavior are only met with the door shut on his face and one too many hang ups on Kyungsoo’s side. He’s lucky the other guy even answers his calls at all.

By the third week, when Hyunsik seems to have given up, Kyungsoo had a revelation. Hyunsik wasn't his true love, but it wasn't the betrayal that made him think that. That incident only serves its purpose as an eye opener for Kyungsoo. He realizes that he probably was only in love with the idea of having a stable relationship that he thinks has the potential of going into marriage. He did love Hyunsik, but he wasn't his one true love.

Baekhyun was happy to hear this when Kyungsoo told him, and the fact that the younger seems to be moving on well made his shoulder relax even more. But then, a back-to-normal Kyungsoo is a worry for Baekhyun. His own love life is in danger of being exposed.

True to his expectation, Kyungsoo is sporting a cheeky smile once they are both seated at one of the tables at the bakery.

“So..”

“So?” Baekhyun feigns ignorance.

“This Chanyeol guy..”

A slight twitch of his eyebrows might have given up his façade, it’s obvious by the way Kyungsoo smirks at him.

“Fine, fine. Remember the guy I told you about over a month ago? The one I waited a few days to call?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widens, making his eyes even bigger now, as he recalls that day at the cafe. “So you and him?”

Baekhyun smiles sheepishly, before saying, “We’re taking things slow.”

Then as an afterthought he continues, “I’ll introduce him to you someday. His office isn’t far from here.”

Kyungsoo agrees immediately, even joking “Hey maybe I can find a nice guy there.”

¨

Chanyeol is fidgeting in his seat and it isn’t because he added an extra teaspoon of sugar in his coffee today. No, the guy is a nervous wreck. Jongin was busy finalizing the blueprint for the client he’s meeting tomorrow when Chanyeol burst into his office, taking the seat across Jongin immediately.

It has been five minutes since then and the other guy hasn't said anything. Being indifferent, Jongin doesn't bother to ask, it’s obvious Chanyeol is nervous. When he finally puts away the important document, he says, “What’s gotten into your ?”

Chanyeol scowled at him. “For your information, I don’t- never mind. That’s not important. I’m meeting Baekhyun later.”

Jongin raises an eyebrow. That is not a logical reason as to why Chanyeol should be nervous at all. The latter had told him about this Baekhyun guy that he’s seeing only two days prior, the name sounded familiar to Jongin but he brushed it off as one of his clients from years ago, it’s possible that he might have forgotten.

“Why are you nervous? It isn’t the first time you’re meeting him,” states Jongin.

“Yes I know. But today he’s introducing me to his best friend.”

Again, Jongin is confused. As if it’s obvious from his expression, Chanyeol continues to explain, “Baekhyun told me about this friend of his and how they are friends since middle school and that they’re very close. So I feel like I need to impress this guy too you know.”

“Ah I see. It’s like you’re meeting the parents for the first time, only this isn’t it. I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine hyung.”

Chanyeol nods, “I hope so,” then he looks at him with pleading eyes, “Can you do me a favor though?”

The nagging suspicion Jongin had since a few minutes ago was right. Telling him about the date he has with Baekhyun and his friend couldn't be the only reason he’s there. There is an ulterior motive, of course.

When Jongin stays silent, Chanyeol says again, “Can you come with me?”

“What? Why?”

“If there’s four of us, it might be less awkward you know. His friend or possibly me even, won’t feel like the third wheel.”

Jongin laughs at this. “You’re asking me of all people to come to make things less awkward? Are you aware that I’m not that outgoing hyung?”

As if he only just thought of it, Chanyeol pauses to comprehend things. Then he shakes his head as if to remove all doubts, “It’s fine. Just think of it as two pairs of close friends wanting to join forces to make one set of four close friends, except two of the people wants more than to be just friends.”

It’s Jongin turn to think through things. What Chanyeol said doesn't make much sense to Jongin. But he can see why his friend would want him to come.

“Alright fine, I’ll go.”

This earns him a sudden bear hug from Chanyeol who gets off his chair so quickly, walking over towards Jongin and pulling him up, before the latter can even blink.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m meeting them after work. I’ll text you once Baekhyun tells me the place.”

Just like that, he leaves the office again, skipping.

Unfortunately for Chanyeol, maybe fortunately for Jongin, the client he’s supposed to meet tomorrow has called to change their plan. He wants to see Jongin today instead, after work.

When Jongin walks over to Chanyeol’s office, he puts on his puppy face (he thinks it’s cute enough) and tells him that though he doesn’t want to, he has to cancel their plan, and that he’s sorry. He does feel sorry when he sees the disappointment on the other’s face. But really there’s nothing he can do. He’ll have to wait until next time to meet this Baekhyun and maybe his friend too.

¨

Kyungsoo has never gotten along so well with someone new as fast as he does with Chanyeol. It has only been slightly over an hour since Baekhyun introduced them at their usual café and here they are already planning to do a rap and beatbox collaboration when they’re at a less crowded place someday.

Baekhyun’s thrilled of course. Chanyeol had looked nervous at first but Kyungsoo was being his warm and pleasant self and in no time, the awkward atmosphere was gone.

Wanting to leave the couple alone so they can continue their date without him, Kyungsoo excuses himself. He tells them that he needs to go back to the bakery, wanting to talk to the manager about something. Lies. He just doesn't want them to feel burdened or guilty.

At the mention of the bakery for the first time that evening, Chanyeol’s ears perk up and he asks what bakery does he own. When Kyungsoo answers with ‘Do’s Bakery’ the tall man guffaws, slapping his thighs in the process. Before Kyungsoo starts to get offended however, he stops and says, “The world is so small. I went to your bakery a few times with my friend.  Though I think he goes there more times than me. He loves the cheesecake.”

Kyungsoo can only respond with opening and closing of his mouth repeatedly, not knowing what to say. Baekhyun smiles at this and waves goodbye at Kyungsoo, then Chanyeol mimics his actions.

Saying see you next time to Baekhyun and a nice to meet you at Chanyeol, Kyungsoo makes his way to his car and drives to the bakery. Now that he thinks of it, he does actually need to talk to the manager.

Once there, he greets his two workers and asks them where the manager is, to which they point at the room at the back. Proceeding to the kitchen, he sees the older guy writing something on the store’s stock list.

“Hyung.”

At the sound of Kyungsoo’s voice, Joonmyun looks up from his work and smiles. “What brings you here? Weren’t you with Baekhyun?”

Taking the seat next to the manager, Kyungsoo answers, “I was but I left him with his boyfriend. No fun being the third wheel hyung.”

“I know right,” Joonmyun chuckles.

Kyungsoo looks puzzled at this so Joonmyun explains, “My housemate just got a new boyfriend. He comes over often nowadays so there’s usually the three of us now in the living room watching TV.”

“Let me guess. They don’t necessarily watch TV do they?” Kyungsoo smirks.

A blush creeps up Joonmyun’s neck before he nods. “I just wish they’d do their PDA back in the dance studio instead you know. That ungrateful brat.”

Kyungsoo rubs Joonmyun’s back comfortingly as if it will erase whatever images Joonmyun might have stored unwillingly in his memory.

They stay silent for a few more minutes before Kyungsoo starts discussing business matters and new recipes.

¨

It had been a long week. Jongin doesn’t always complain about work but for some reason, this one particular client always has something to complain. When he showed his building plan to Chanyeol, the man had said it’s great, as usual. Even his superior was impressed. But it’s not them that he needs approval from, it’s the client who will be paying and therefore, the client who should be satisfied.

The night before was the third night in a row that Jongin stayed in the office for later than 10pm to turn his plan into a perfection. And about an hour ago, the client finally, finally approved. With a handshake and a short compliment of good job, him and the client parted ways.

By the time he leaves the restaurant, it’s only 3pm. Office hours is far from over. Jongin should be going back straight to the office. But for some reason, he doesn't want to. He blames it on the lack of sleep or perhaps he just needs a break. It’s not like he skives often. In fact, he hardly ever does.

He doesn't want to go home however, there’s still that sense of responsibility that’s nagging him, he better not go too far from the office lest he gets an urgent call and asked to go back immediately. One place comes to mind – the bakery.

When he arrives, he’s greeted by the usual workers, who by now definitely recognized him already.

“The usual?” the shorter of the two asks.

By ‘the usual’, the girl meant a cup of coffee and a slice of cheesecake. Jongin thinks for a moment before replying, “I’ll have the coffee for now. I’ll get something else later.”

He pays the girl and takes a seat near the window.  He does this every time he goes there. It isn’t strictly a routine, he doesn’t go there that often. The only difference today is that he’s there a few hours earlier than usual. Not when the road is jammed with traffic, people rushing to go home from work.

Besides the changing customers, he never sees anyone else there other than the two workers. For all he knows, these two girls are the owner of the bakery. They themselves baked the pastries and cakes. But then, he thought about the conversation they had about their Boss, so he ruled that assumption out.

At that moment, nothing seems particularly different than usual. There’s less customer but otherwise everything seems normal. When his coffee arrives, the girl asks, “Do you need anything else?”

As she sees that Jongin seems to be making a decision she says again, “We have introduced new recipes. There is still the usual cheesecake but I recommend you to try another type of cheesecake. It’s better.”

Jongin looks at her incredulously. How can there be something better than that cheesecake? He doesn't say this out loud though, instead he nods and says “Okay, I’ll try it.”

She was right. It is better. If his usual is the plain ol’ cheesecake, this new one has a hint of hazelnuts in it, and there is a slight zing of lemon. More than ever, Jongin wants to meet the creator of the most amazing cheesecake he’s ever tasted.

Pushing away thoughts of I might seem creepy or this is crazy, as soon as the plate’s clean, he walks back towards the counter, making the workers stop at whatever they’re doing. “Can I meet whoever made the cake?”

The two look at each other as if telepathically communicating before the one closest to Jongin answers, “Boss isn’t here right now. He always comes in the morning. Seldom in the afternoon or evening.”

Unconsciously he pouts, earning a subtle giggle from the girls. He says thank you to them before leaving the bakery. Another time then he thinks.

¨

Kyungsoo curses Baekhyun for the 23rd time as soon as he enters the elevator. Just because his afternoon is always free doesn't mean he can be ordered around. It doesn’t work that way. Okay maybe it does but still. Baekhyun had called him earlier and asked for a favor. “Can you go see Chanyeol in his office and tell him that I’m going to be late for our date later?”

“Why can’t you just call him?” was his reply.

“His phone battery is dead.”

“Doesn’t he have any charger at the office?”

“No.”

“Call the office then.”

“I don’t know the number.”

“Why don't you go to the office yourself?”

“I’m busy. That’s the reason I’ll be late.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at this, too bad the other couldn't see him. Hesitantly he agreed and Baekhyun told him the address. How does he know the address but not the office phone number? Kyungsoo thinks. But it’s too late. He’s already in the building’s elevator and is climbing up to the fourth floor where Chanyeol office is.

Arriving on the floor, he nervously walks towards the reception and says to the receptionist, “Is there a Park Chanyeol here?”

The receptionist looks at him as if determining whether Kyungsoo is some debt collector or an estranged ex-boyfriend, and when she seems to make up her mind, she lifts up the phone and presses a few numbers before waiting for the line to connect.

For some obscure reason, she talks really softly into the phone, not wanting Kyungsoo to overhear. It might have to do with who she thinks he is. But thankfully not a minute later, Park Chanyeol bounds into the floor’s lobby.

“Hey Kyungsoo. What are you doing here?”

“It’s Baekhyun hyung. He wants me to tell you that he’s going to be late for your date later because he’s busy. That’s all.”

Chanyeol seems puzzled. “Why didn't he just call me?”

“Umm isn’t your phone dead?”

When things click in his head, Chanyeol lets out a loud laugh. “My phone isn’t dead. I just switched it off for a very important meeting earlier. Better safe than sorry you know.”

The frown marring his face deepens. He curses Baekhyun (in his head) for the 24th time.

Noticing this, Chanyeol says, “I’m sorry you had to come here just to say that. I’ll treat you next time, don’t worry. I’ll call Baekhyun after this.”

“It’s fine,” says Kyungsoo half-heartedly, “Bye then.”

Not letting Chanyeol say anything else, Kyungsoo walks back towards the elevator. Someone will get an earful from him later.

Kyungsoo’s already inside the lift when Chanyeol asks the receptionist has Jongin returned yet. And when she says no, he replies with a ‘weird.’

¨

Call it fate, or destiny, or for non-believers, a mere coincidence, but when two people are meant to be, the bond may not break. The red string of fate will remain.

There are more than one way for Jongin and Kyungsoo to meet. It is simply inevitable. But sometimes fate’s sense of humor can trump all the possibilities. It has a wicked sense of humor. And if the wicked turns evil, no matter how high the odds, it may as well never happen.

¨

After Jongin left the bakery, it was only 4pm. He still doesn't want to go back to the office but he can’t go home either. For lack of better things to do, he decides to cross the big road and walk towards the park nearby. Jongin has always thought that the park looks out of place, surrounded by high rise buildings. But then he knows it’s purpose. Just like him, the park can be a place to relax and to take a breather for the employees working in the buildings, after a long day at work. He spots an old but sturdy looking bench and takes a seat there. It trembled a little as Jongin puts his weight on it but he can’t be bothered to find another one.

Around the same time, Kyungsoo has just left Chanyeol’s office building. Still slightly raging inside. Knowing himself, he better not go back to the bakery yet, afraid he’ll let it out on the innocent girls or Joonmyun. So he might as well spend some time walking at the park. That has always been his favorite past time, when the bakery was still new. He doesn’t know why he stopped. After only five minutes of walking, he feels so much better. Baekhyun will still get an earful from him later but for now, he has calmed down enough.

Suddenly however, he hears a loud crack. It doesn't take him long to look for the source. A few yards away a man in a business suit lies on top of broken pieces of wood. Kyungsoo doesn't have to be a genius to know that the pieces of wood was in fact a bench only a moment ago and the man has broken it.

A groan from the man breaks him out of his reverie and he rushes over to check on him.

“Are you okay sir?”

The moment the man, Jongin, looks up is the moment their destinies collide and start anew.

Jongin doesn’t know this yet, but he has found the man he’s been waiting for, his someone out there.

Kyungsoo doesn't know this yet, but he has found the man who he can love, and will love him back.

Sometimes fate’s sense of humor can trump all the possibilities. It has a wicked sense of humor. And if the wicked turns evil, no matter how high the odds, it may as well never happen.

Thankfully, it isn’t the case for Jongin and Kyungsoo.

¨

If it’s meant to be, there’s no need for connections or ties to bring them together, all it takes is a simple stray from routine and from there, fate takes over.

 

A/N:. What a cheesy ending, I know. No need to put it in the comments. haha. Thanks for reading! :D