The Line Between

The Line Between [One-Shot]

Onew slump onto a chair in front of the dressing table, closing his eyes for that few minutes of peace he very much needed. The coordi and makeup artiste are currently working on his group members while they slip into deep sleep.

The group have been extremely exhausted from the continuous promotions and preparation of their new albums. With their latest album and the injury of their lead vocalist, Jong Hyun, the group is finding a hard time covering his singing parts and his individual schedules. They could only sleep on an average of two hours a day for the past week and everyone is near their breaking point.

While he slowly falls into sleep, Onew felt a slight wet dab on his forehead. His eyes snapped open startling the makeup artist who just started working on his makeup.

"I am sorry." She apologized.

"I should be the one who should apologize." Onew gave her a tired smile. It's her again today! he thought suddenly excited and no longer sleepy.

She nodded and continue cleaning his face with a water soaked cotton pad and drying his face with another. Onew studied her facial features, she was used to people staring at her while she work that she wasn't even feeling uncomfortable at him staring.

He only saw her twice before today, he is definite that she is new to the team, there is no way he could have missed such a beautiful lady all this while.

"Hi, I haven't seen you around before, are you new to the team?" He tried to start a conversation. She had started putting the first layer of foundation on his face, quickly and professionally done.

"Not really." She replied without stopping her work. "Just that I haven't been working with the SHINee team. I usually run between Super Junior and SNSD but there was some human resource reallocation. Some lady in your team decided to get married and go on a honeymoon while another decided to get pregnant while you guys are busy with all the promotions. While Suju and SNSD isn't that busy now, the company just transfer me over for the time being."

Onew love how she could concentrate on her work while chitchatting with him and he simply loves her voice, just like music to his ears, he doesn't want to stop the conversation at all. He studied her facial features again, she had put on a light makeup but no much of a small wrinkle lines is evident on her face but those eyes, brown hazel eyes, seems to have seen much more than him.

"Noona?" He tried hoping, that she is really older than him or he would be disrespectful.

"Hmm?" She answered. Onew heaved a sigh of relief while she is done with his foundation layer and is applying concealer to cover his dark circles and eye bags. "You guys must be really tired. Minho and Taemin's eye bags were so obvious that I had to apply additional layers to cover them but still..." She let the sentence hang.

She squeeze some onto her fingers and apply them on to Onew's eye bags. When her finger touched his face, the tingling sensation of shock passed through his body so strongly that he actually flinched.

"Did I press too hard?" She asked totally shock by his reaction. Onew shook his head vigorously as he felt blood rush to his cheeks. "Sorry young man, we don't have a lot of time before you guys are to be ushered up the stage so I am doing this quickly. If I get too rough, please tell me. Ok?"

"Ok, noona. It's really nothing, it didn't hurt at all."

"The way you jerk away shows the total opposite of what you are saying Onew" She commented while she continue applying the concealer with her fingers. Onew felt his heart skip a beat on her touch.

Her gentle touch on his face, her long slender fingers, her beautiful voice, she might not be the most attractive lady that he have came across but definitely beautiful. He know he had developed a crush on this makeup artiste.

"Noona? I still didn't get your name."

"They call me Sol." She said as she move on to the apply the blush. Onew was quite such he doesn't need any cause he is already blushing. "You alright?" She look at him in the eyes.

Onew's heart pumped harder and he caught his breath. "Fine. Maybe... I am just too tired."

"Just hang in there ok, the noonas are always here for you." She said.

"Will... will you go back after Jinuen and Nali noona return from their leave?" Onew blurt out.

Probably alarmed by the sudden question from SHINee's leader, Sol stopped her work for that mere one second before continuing. It's just barely five minutes to their performance. "I think they will most probably transfer me back. Close your eyes." She command.

Reluctantly, Onew closed his eyes while she drew the eyeliner. "Open." He open to her beautiful face again. If he is the angel in his fan's eyes, she was the angel in his eyes.

When she went on to apply the lip gloss on his lips, Onew felt the urge to kiss her and leave his lip mark on her cheeks. "There you go. All done and ready." Sol finally stood up straight and take a last look at Onew.

Dissatisfied with something, she bend down again and brush the make up particles off the star's face using the back of her hands. At her action, Onew felt another jolt of electricity pass through him before he gave her smile, stood up from his seat, bow and said thank you.

Despite his lack of sleep, he is feeling very charged now, he took a last look at the mirror, adjust the creases on his shirt before the back stage crew came in with mikes and announce SHINee to be the next group to perform. The boys gathered and get ready to move towards the stage, Onew's eyes naturally look for Sol as he spotted her packing up the makeup into the box, he went forward to help her.

"What are you doing? Go get ready for your performance!!" She scolded when Onew pick up the brush that she dropped.

Onew return the brush to her, he took a deep breath and said, "Sol noona, you are really very beautiful... in my eyes." He smile and gave her a light peck on her hand before leaving with the group leaving the lady shocked and confused in the backstage room.

"What... what was that??" Sol muttered and look down in embarrassment. She quickly pack the remaining things into the makeup box before grabbing it and following the guys to the main stage in case there are any touch ups to be made.

The slight exchange felt good, Sol had a liking for Onew since she was transferred to the SHINee backstage team. He is such a wonderful child, always greeting everyone the first thing he enters and never forgets to thank everyone who help him. He encourages s no matter how tired he is and he never complains about the schedules that he was covering for Jong Hyun. 

Sol stood at the side of the stage looking at the boys while they stand in position for their dance. Onew spotted her and gave her a small wave, she returned it with a small nod. The music started she heard the ear piercing screams from the fans and saw the sudden change in Onew's expression, from the cute young boy in her eyes to a manly and serious idol. Her smile disappears. She knows...

Fans screams filled the area when the music started. Onew was jerked back from his delusional thoughts with Sol noona. While the fans chanted the SHINee chants and scream when he hits the high notes or when other members were having their solo lines, Onew realise...

He belongs to the stage, she belongs to the darkness, nothing can happen between them. He chose to be a star, to be the center of attention, a role model to his fans, a perfect idol in their eyes. She is a nobody, no fan of his will be happy if anything happens between them, she will be harassed and threaten, definitely not the kind of life she wants to lead.

That invisible line between them cannot be crossed. When the first take of the performance ended, she stepped forward to the Onew and passed him a fan to blow off his sweat while she check for touch ups to be made.

"Onew, you are beautiful too... In my eyes." Sol commented while she use a tissue to dab off the sweat beads from his face before adjusting his hair which got a little messed up from the vigorous dance.

Onew broke into a genuine smile as he nodded. Sol look at the boy in front of her and return a smile. Both the sunshine of each world.

-END-