Final

Sustainment

The rain was falling, pattering against the window panes and drowning the streets below. In her office, the smell of coffee was overpowering. She was making another cup, even though he had only been there for thirty minutes.

 

He listened as she fixed the drink to her liking. Two creams and three sugars. The same as always.

 

Her heels clicked together as she walked back to her seat, notebook and cup of coffee in her hands. He didn't see why she needed the notebook. She already knew everything.

 

She sat, watching as her patient reclined in his own seat. He remained silent. He hated initiating conversation with her, especially since her goal is to, in a sense, fix him. Emotions can't be fixed. However, he also hated not talking to her, since they were good friends.

 

She began after she took a sip of her drink. "Today's the last day, Chanhee."

 

"...I know." He stated, voice quiet.

 

"You haven't... made much progress." She said a bit too blandly.

 

"But it's not like I cared in the first place, Hyori."

 

She started scribbling in her notebook, but Chanhee knew she was only drawing. She didn't need to take notes. She knew everything.

 

They were silent. Hyori was contemplating how to help Chanhee in their remaining time. Chanhee was blank as he always has been.

 

"Hyori." His voice made her look up. "Do you think there's an afterlife?"

 

The sudden and random question threw her off a bit. She took her time in responding. "I admit... I haven't really thought about it much. Why do you ask?"

 

"Do you... Do you think I'll see him there?"

 

The childish question made her smile, but only to reassure him. "If there is one, I'm sure you'll be able to see him. But Chanhee, don't you think he'd want you to live normally here?"

 

"I'm sure he would." He sighed. "But I can't in the first place. He's not here. Nothing can be normal."

 

"But surely you could... try?"

 

He shifted his eyes toward her. Hyori internally flinched at his dull eyes. "Of all the people in the world, you should know best that I've been trying for the past year." He deadpanned.

 

She took another sip of her lukewarm coffee, deciding to take another approach. "How do you feel without him here?"

 

Another sigh, like these questions took a physical toll on him. "Like my entire world is gone. Everything is numb. I've lost all care."

 

It was the same thing he always said. It always seemed like Chanhee chose to recite from a script. Hyori hated that. "Can you elaborate?"

 

Chanhee swallowed thickly before beginning. "Sometimes I... I wake up... and I swear he's right beside me. I can smell him. I can feel his warmth, but everything is false. He's not there. And it... it hurts. Not just emotionally. It's physical too. It hurts my chest, like my heart is literally being torn apart. And there's nothing I can do but wrap myself in the sheets and cry."

 

Hyori pursed her lips. She knew Chanhee felt this way all the time since he arrived last year. She thought the feeling would at least abate somewhat. Apparently not.

 

"Chanhee. We don't have much time left. Today's the last day. Do you even know what will happen if you don't make progress today?"

 

"I know." Chanhee answered instantly. "I know it’s weird... but I welcome it. Maybe I will see him."

 

Hyori looked upon Chanhee with pity. "You loved him that much?"

 

"'Love'. Not 'loved'. I still love him, with every molecule in my body. I can't forget about him. Every... Everything I do reminds me of him. Why did he have to die?"

 

"I-I don't know. Accidents happen." Hyori stated weakly.

 

"And they had to happen to him." He responded bitterly. "You know I was going to ask him to marry me?"

 

Hyori's face fell. "I know... You showed me the ring a long time ago."

 

Chanhee gave a wry chuckle, wiping away the tears that had begun to form. "And it was all taken from me. My life and my love. The one thing in the world that truly mattered... I used to wake up just to be with him. To kiss his cheek and hold his hand. Now I wake up for the false hope that he'll somehow be there."

 

Hyori randomly scribbled a bit more. She wanted to give further words of comfort, but that would go too far. Sometimes she wished she could bring their real friendship into play, but laws were laws. The repercussions were terrifying if she did. Therefore, she could not. "We have ten minutes. Are you going to even try?"

 

Chanhee ran his fingers through his hair. "You already know I gave up long ago. There's no hope for me."

 

"...I see." Hyori leaned forward and grabbed Chanhee's hand with her own, forcing his attention on her. "I really do wish the best for you."

 

"I know." Chanhee stated. "That's why I came to you for these sessions."

 

"And they never worked." Hyori sighed. She stood and walked to her desk. She picked up her phone and dialed a short number.

 

Chanhee listened to her terse voice. "Patient number 2671. Order number 15."

 

She hung up and walked back over. "It's done."

 

"So I heard." He stood from his seat and walked over to the window. Hyori went with him. The rain was falling harder than ever. They could barely see the city lights.

 

"See, Chanhee? Even the rest of the world dislikes your decision."

 

"And you know what I see? My life without him. It's not worth living for."

 

Hyori gave a sad smile. "I'm sorry I couldn't do anything for you."

 

Chanhee's shoulders trembled. "There was nothing anyone could have done. The minute they told me he died, I felt something inside me break. There was never any hope from the beginning."

 

Hyori didn't respond. She had no words. She waited silently with Chanhee for his inevitable fate, which came in the form of two suited men.

 

They bowed respectfully at Hyori before turning their attention towards Chanhee. "2671?"

 

Chanhee nodded. Handcuffs were tightly secured on his wrists and he was soon being led out of the room.

 

"Wait." Hyori called, halting their progress. "Chanhee. Look at me."

 

Chanhee did so, and when he did, Hyori finally accepted that he couldn't be saved. It was almost ironic. His love for Byunghun was what used to sustain him with life. Now, it would be the very death of him. She mildly wondered if true love was this painful.

 

"I... Never mind." Hyori shook her head.

 

Chanhee shuffled his feet. "You know what, Hyori?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"I think I believe in an afterlife."

 

"Do you?" She asked, perplexed.

 

Chanhee nodded his head. "It's my last thread of hope."

 

“...Oh.” Hyori realized. "Just to see him."

 

"Yeah. Just to see Byunghun."

 

The two men gripped Chanhee's forearms and began to drag him out. "We must leave."

 

Hyori stood stiffly. "Goodbye, Chanhee. I'll miss you."

 

He gave a tiny wave of his hands, then the door slammed close. Hyori sighed. She doesn't remember when the last time she couldn't save a patient. Maybe Chanhee was the first one. Then it was truly disheartening. She couldn't even save her friend.

 

She sat back down and pulled her laptop closer. Slowly, deliberately, she completed Chanhee's file.

 

Name: Lee Chanhee

Disorder: Major Depressive Disorder

Cause of Disorder: Death of significant other due to an intoxicated driver.

Status: Emotionally unstable. Breaks down at sporadic intervals. Unable to function properly. Unfit for society.

Time: One year. Limit reached.

Recommended Action: Execution by lethal injection.

 

Hyori sighed. She lifted her cup and took a sip, grimacing at the now cold and stale coffee.

 

Once more, she stood and began to make another batch.

 


 

TL;DR - Drinking and driving kills your bias.