First Impressions (+added extra scenes)

Leader Kim Sunggyu

 

1

 

I was the last member to join Infinite.

While the other members had to spend at least a few years as a trainee, I was performing with my band on the streets when I was lucky enough to get casted on the spot by the head of Woollim Entertainment . After a simple informal audition, I was named as the last member of Infinite on the spot, and my debut date was set in less than three months.

 

I’ve actually been auditioning for a trainee spot even before I joined my own band, and never once have I gotten an acceptance letter. Except for this one time when I was two months into training- but when I visited the company’s office one day, I was greeted with an empty building with nothing but cleared out desks and tucked in chairs. I really should have known when they asked for 'tuition fees' in advance.

I was sick and tired of waiting for some miracle to happen- I seriously considered giving up on mainstream music, enjoying my life as it was, performing on the streets with my band mates and just taking a step back in general.

 

But when the head of Woollim told me his plans for Infinite and me as an idol, I thought I wasn’t so screwed after all.

Again, I was mistaken.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

The practice room

In the practice room, Come Back Again- the very song that announced out debut to the world- was on, booming out of the four black speakers in each corners. The unpleasant smell of sweat and their body heat were the first things I noticed as I stepped in.

 

“Listen up. I have a very important announcement to make. Turn off the music for a minute.”

 

The boys who were dancing to the music broke off from their choreographed positions and gathered around their boss in the middle of the room.

I was hiding behind the door, wincing at the horrible smell of body odour, when the head of the entertainment gave me a cue to come in. I walked down to where six sweaty trainees were sitting.

 

“…Okay, what’s up?”

 

The kid whom I thought had a pretty decent face- maybe even a little bit cute- was the one who spoke up. Despite his cute face, I could feel the icy tone in his voice.

He probably knew already that something was up.

 

“This guy right here is going to be your last member. I trust that you guys will take good care of him, while he takes good care of you too... as Infinite’s leader.”

 

“What?”

"Him?"

"..You're joking, right?"

 

Everyone was taken back by this announcement- some tried to talk through this with the boss, whilst the rest had annoyed expressions on their faces, glaring at me to death. I, too, wanted to ask for an explanation, but my body wouldn’t listen to me as I was frozen at my feet, mouth agape, unable to say a single word. Me? Infinite’s leader?

 

“His name is Kim Sunggyu. He is older than all of you, and his voice is the best I’ve heard so far from a mere 20 year old. I know you have been practising together as six for a long time, but I thought that with Sunggyu here, Infinite would shine brighter in the audience’s eyes. I’m sorry for the sudden notice, but from a boss’s point of view, I know this will work out very smoothly. If you want to make any complaints, use that time to run through your song one more time.”

 

And there he goes, taking the choreographing teacher and the manager with him.

 

 

 

 

 

The whole atmosphere in the practise room was so cold.

Silent, but cold; as if I was trapped in a chilly fog…

 

“So. Kim Sunggyu, older than everyone here and despite being the newcomer, is our group’s leader?”

 

The cute face from earlier.

 

This innocent-looking guy, actually, no, that little er- is Nam Woohyun.

The that made me seem like a complete loser from the start.

 

“Yeah, I’m Kim Sunggyu- older than everyone here, and the newcomer. Older than you, too, I might add. Ring any bells?”

 

Nam Woohyun snorted.

 

"If you were expecting me to treat you as a hyung, you're in the wrong ing place."

 

Woohyun's tone was icy and his words were even more cold-hearted.

I knew that they would be reluctant, and maybe even a little unwelcoming.

But this- this kind of humiliation, and looks of disgust- I did not expect.

 

Dongwoo broke off Woohyun's glare, and tried his best to hide his dissappointment.

 

"Kim Sunggyu, huh. There's nothing we can do at this point so.. Let's try to get along."

 

He held out his hand, which I gladly shook. I couldn't smile back, however, let alone reply. I knew that during that precise moment, no words could console Dongwoo. Everyone knew that before I came along, Dongwoo had been their trusted leader. I was already regretting accepting the offer. I had no place here- no, I had no right to be here. I couldn't even feel my fingers as they helplessly slipped through Dongwoo's.

 

All I knew was that that little er was indeed a little er, and that this Dongwoo kid was the only one who could keep his emotions under enough to acknowledge me.

 

 

 

 

 

+ 290815 decided to give this baby another go. I'll upload soon! Please don't leave me! 

++ omg im reading this now and im cringing its so bad :') 

 

+++13/08/2020, Im not expecting anyone to read this :') Made a few edits!