Final

1000 years always by my side

It was in his fate, it was something that was written since before he was born, I would have given my entire existence to avoid it, but I could not, it was what the faceless voices had told me when I was assigned to my human.

"What he has done?" I dared to ask, the voices remained silence, before answering.

“Nothing, but that's how things are”

I wanted to scream in pain, helplessness, but it would be useless it would only earn me a terrible punishment, and in the end, everything would happen as written.

Normally, the shinigami are dedicated to seeing our human by far, we try not to interfere with your their life, we have no right, of course, there are exceptions like mine. Severe cases that merit the intervention of a shinigami.

For many people, the name we receive the shinigami who participated in those 'special cases' is angel, but we remain being simple shinigami, we only perform a different function.

Our cases are the most difficult, because we got to involve with our human so much, that it is inevitable fall in love, it's not prohibited, nor is it recommended, in our case the true love brings only pain, and you have to carry this the years that you remain of existence, it might be a thousand or even millions of centuries, being shinigami is difficult to have accurate of the remaining time

My 'shinigami' name is Lee Taemin, my 'special case' is Choi Minho, and this is our story.

~

The first time that you know them is not easy; you have to introduce yourself in their lives discreetly, it is essential to stay close. Sure, there are rules that must not be broken under any circumstances, one of which was that we could not reveal our true identity, (at least not until the end), that would cause some balance between the human world and Shinigami would break, on one occasion, it had happened many years ago, my best friend had tried to stop the death of his human, was so in love and desperate he had revealed the truth. Key is the shinigami, Kim Jonghyun was the human.

Key currently was in a medium security prison, he was not dangerous for society but his actions deserved severe punishment, they had put the worst of all, he was doomed to see again and again his error, to see the love of his life, die over and over again, many people expected that Key went mad, but it never happened, Key today remains as lucid as the first time he was locked, he merely remains silent.

I used to visit a few times a week, although the visit usually consisted of Key releasing a couple of words and looking at nothing, I spent talking, he just listened.

And now in front of my human I regret not having asked what he felt or how he react when first saw Jonghyun, but I was terrified, afraid to cause him more pain than he already felt, to make him relive those moments, so I remained silent, I will have to learn on my own how to deal with it, knowing what the future holds.

"Lee Taemin, right?" I looked nervous and nodded, I felt dizzy, very dizzy, was this normal? Perhaps it would be any side effects from staying too long in the human world, I will ask Onew-hyung when I get back, he's been here before, he should know.

“Yes, I am”

"I'm Choi Minho" he extended his hand in greeting, and I also extended my hand, squeezing his hand gently, a few seconds were enough to stay in love with the softness of his skin "Delighted, I was assigned me to show you the school"

t's funny how fate works, right? How twists its threads, it entangled until they meet at a common point, it was written that I was a shinigami, he a human, we met that way, everything was coldly calculated, by whom? I do not know, I always wondered who was the person who enjoyed playing so sickly with the lives of others, or perhaps he suffer more than all, I've never wondered if that has feelings, maybe, for something pulls the strings to its will.

"Thanks for taking care of me, Minho-sunbaenim" I whispered as I leaned 90 degrees that corresponded him for being my hyung, I got up when I heard his hoarse laugh.

"No need to be so formal-shii Taemin, just call me Minho or Hyung, we only took a year apart"

I grinned, and I stood with a small jump, walking beside him through the empty corridors of the huge institute.

Can I stay by your side forever Minho-hyung?

~

"This is the gym" Minho exclaimed opening his arms and standing in the middle of the huge basketball court, I looked around with wide eyes, everything was so new to me!

"It's huge" I mentioned without leaving my amazement, Minho chuckled.

"Do you play any sports?" Minho asked,  I shook my head

"I'd rather dance, sports have never been my thing"

"Too bad, I would have liked to beat you in a game of basketball" we left the gym to go towards the cafeteria, lunch was about to begin, and judging from the expressions of Minho, he must be hungry.

I do not, the shinigami have never hungry or thirsty, that kind of thing is not necessary for us. Yes, we eat and drink but we do it for mere pleasure, not necessity, so I had to force myself to eat in the human world, it would be too weird for him not to see me try food.

It was amazing the amount of food that Minho could eat, if we took into account that he was thin, had a bit of muscle, but he was athletic, I would never understand how the human body worked.

"You do not talk much, do you?" Minho sat on his chair after devouring his second burger; I looked up from my salad and looked at him for a few seconds before answering.

"It is not that I don’t speak, new things scare me" and I did not lie, I really was terrified.

"You have nothing to be afraid, I will lead you all the time you need it, I will take care of you" Minho exclaimed without hesitation, I nodded enthusiastically.

Why were you always like that? Putting others before you.

 

~6 months later~

"Hey, that's cheating!" I hit him in the shoulder, as he laughed out loud.

"It's not, it's not my fault that stink in the game" he paused the game to give a long sip of his drink, I looked dumbfounded how his Adam's apple rose and fell, the way his neck tensed , and his chest vibrated when he laughed.

"You're too competitive Hyung, I lost count of how many ice creams I owe you" I pouted, throwing control of the couch, causing it to bounce back against the cushions. I crossed my arms and ignore his attempt of 'aegyo' "Hyung It will not work, you know you doing aegyo"

"Yah! I don't stink, girls die every time I do," I frowned, clearly upset, I could not help feeling jealous, here is the first setback of caring for this "special case", it was impossible not to fall in love with the wonderful person I had been appointed, I came back to reality when I noticed that Minho was near me, too close.

"Are you jealous?"  he peak me just below the ribs and I squirmed to get away from him.

"Of course not, you better go and make all those girls aegyo" I started to get up off the couch, but he took my wrist pulling me to get caught up in his strong arms, his breath on my ear and his scent on my nostrils.

"You know I only love you Minnie" I snorted

"Fool, you should not say those things so normal, you know what they're saying about us in school" still holding me, he shook me lightly, the colors and warmth on my cheeks began to appear, but my heart stopped, stopped by seconds when I felt his lips on mine.

"And you know that I do not care, I love you Minnie" tears start to accumulated in my eyes, my breathing became erratic, I was surprised, but I not delay in returning him another kiss.

“I love you Minho-hyung”

I'm selfish, if I want you just for me?

 

~2 months later~

"Minho, are you sure?" I fix my hair for the hundredth time and I straighten the white shirt that I was carrying, Minho walked beside me laughing.

“Stop, you look good”

"But," I pressed my hands, a little desperate "I'm so nervous. He's important to you, how about if he does not like me?"

"I'm sure he will love you"

He turned to kiss me on the lips and Minho ring the bell to get to the white house. A voice shouted from within and in a couple of minutes the door opened, revealing the person that Minho had been wanting me to meet, his best friend. But I never imagined, I never think in the possibility that it was him.

"Kim Jonghyun" I whispered, tears almost slipped through my eyes, the person for whom Key cried every day was here before my eyes, the reason that Key was in that prison.

"Minho! I didn't think you'd be on time" is held each other tightly, and I could only stand there, standing.

"Oh Jong, this is Taemin, my boyfriend. Tae, this is Jong, my best friend"

"Nice" I bow, trying to look as normal as possible. I felt like throwing up, rush out and tell Key, but I must control myself.

Jonghyun invited us to the house, and I felt my body go limp. Pictures, pictures everywhere, pictures of Key and Jonghyun, hugging, walking, kissing.

I held onto Minho, who looked at me puzzled.

"Are you okay?" Minho whispered, I could only nod, unable to say a word.

Jonghyun had prepared a dinner to celebrate Minho seeing someone after years of bachelorhood, I forced myself to smile, and the questions were dying to get out of my mouth, but I did not want to ruin the evening, not yet, but I needed to know. It was not easy to convince that Jonghyun will take a couple of pictures with us, I needed to show to Key.

Minho and I lay on the couch, hugging and smiling, while Jonghyun took a seat on the couch in front of us, with a sad smile on his face.

"Is something wrong?" I asked shy, insecure

"No, I just miss Kibum so much"

“Kibum?” I frowned

"Jonghyun no, please" Minho spoke, rubbing the bridge of his nose, but Jonghyun did not seem to hear.

"Kibum and I used to be boyfriends, I loved him more than anyone in my life Tae, he was the most wonderful creature that could have existed, but I lost him in a plane crash many years ago"

I know, you had to die in that accident, but Key saved you and he revealed that he was a shinigami. They erased your memories and you just were left with the poor memory of Key.

"I miss him so much, so, should treasure to Minho" tears rolled down the face of Jonghyun, Minho and I just sat in silence.

~

"Sorry that Jonghyun has behaved like that" Minho spoke when we got to my apartment "He just misses Kibum a lot"

"I know, I understand" the way back had been silent, Jonghyun's words echoed in our ears.

"On Saturday I will come looking for you" I nodded and stood on tiptoe to entangle my arms around his neck and kiss him on the lips, Minho kissed me holding my waist.

"I love you" he whispered when we parted.

"Me too" we kissed again briefly, and when Minho was out of my sight, and I check that there was nobody in the hall, I change into my shinigami form and I was transported to the other side.

Certainly the other side, was a gloomy place, a few floating candles lit a valley full of mist, the shadows of the mountains in the distance are blurred, I moved silent on land covered road. The prison loomed so terrifying, with its long stone walls, with their guards pale and serious.

"I come to see Key" I said looking at the wooden door, no one dared to see the guards in the eye, many said that they could feel death itself. The doors opened with a creak and I continue forward, I did not have to ask for directions and no one asked for explanations, my visits to the prison were regular.

The prison was designed so that all the powers, which as shinigami they granted to us, was suppressed in full, so escape was impossible. I touched the metal door, and listen to Key's hoarse voice.

"You can pass Tae" before moving on, I turned my sight on the sides of the aisle and I entered into the room, closing the door behind me.

"How do you feel?" I sat in one of the chairs against the wall, Key was curled into a ball on the gray bed.

“As Always”

“I, you see...Remember when I talked you about Minho?”

Your human?" I nodded

"He introduced me to his best friend, he is a very good person" Key’s gaze remained neutral on the ground "That person was Jonghyun"

Key looked up, eyes wide and watery, I put my trembling hand in my pocket and pull out one of the photos that I had been able to come of Jonghyun, Key was sobbing

“My Jong, Oh God, is Jonghyun”

I taught him another where the two were together, Key watched them spellbound, fondly caressing them, wistfully.

Nobody said anything, the cry of Key,was the only sound present, I did not dare say anything for fear of interrupting his moment.

"Is he happy?" I looked at him and nodded. He closed his eyes and squeezed the photo into his chest.

“Key, he misses you so much”

"Me too" silence "Taemin"

“Tell me”

"It was worth it, it is worth the eternity I'll spend locked in here, if he is happy"

This was our destination Minho-hyung?

 

~4 months later~

My eyes were swollen from crying and the lack of sleep, I wash my face desperately. My stomach was stirring and fought back the urge to pass out. I took a breath, I could not let Minho saw me like this.

I brushed my blond hair and try to smile naturally, but I could not I could not force myself to be happy on a day like this.

The doorbell startled me, and I hurried to open to Minho.

"Hey baby" he kissed me and I closed the apartment door, I felt a certain sadness leaving this place, spend a year of my life there, many memories are stored as gold in that place.

My first kiss, my first time with Minho, everything was there.

I held my tears and let Minho guide me through the city.

"We will take the subway this time, okay?"

No, it is not, let us go in bus

"Okay," I took his hand and walked through the crowd waiting for the train, everything was as I had been shown. The same faces, the train driver, the passengers, the girl, Oh god, the girl.

But I continued to smiling, because until the end Minho-hyung I had to make you happy, because this was my mission in this world. Therefore people called us angels.

My mission was to make you happy as long as you stay in life, not all humans had this privilege, only those who died in a heroic feat. I knew the exact moment of your death.

The subway doors opened and we sat by the window, keeping your hand firmly holding mine.

Mentally, I was counting the seconds.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2…1

The train shook violently, the lights went out and people began to fill with panic, you hugged me, your cologne flooded my nostrils.

Almost

The screech of the wheels and brakes, sent shivers down my back, cold sweat covered my skin and yet you kept your calm, probably you were trying to not scare me, even though you was more scared than me.

The train suffered another jolt and it all fell apart, we turn causing the opposite side of where we were, it scraped against the tunnel wall. You hugged me, taking care not to hurt me.

When we finally stopped, we could only hear sobs and cries of pain. Death, so much death.

"Are you okay?" your voice was heard hoarse by dust and smoke from the fire that had started

"Yes"

People began to leave desperate, looking to escape the flames that destroyed everything, you and I were about to do when a girl’s cries echoed through the train.

“Get out of here, I'll be right”

I wanted to hold you, I wanted to say no. Let me be selfish.

"I love you" I hugged him and kissed you, tears ran free, you smiled and ran toward the fire. I waited on the departure of the train, I walked out of the flames with the girl fainted in your arms.

“Take her and get her out of here”

"You have to get out" I extended my hand, praying that you took it and you could leave. But you shook your head

“I'll see if there is nobody left, you get out of here”

I took the girl in my arms. Her mother sobbed hysterically on the floor

“Thank you, thank you”

"Not thank me, I do not ..." My voice broke as the fuel that had spilled, had exploded.

It was my turn. I disappeared from the sight of people, and I spread my wings, walking to the wrecked train, I was immune to fire and smoke did not cause anything in my lungs, I didn't even have fight to find you, I knew where you were.

I went to your burned body, you were still breathing slowly, I knew it was painful, I would like to share your pain, I wanted to relieve you even a little.

“Taemin?”

"Shh, do not talk" I gently caressed your head

"What are you doing here?" you coughed

I was here to collect your shattered soul, the shreds of your hero's heart.

I leaned down and kissed your lips.

"I love you, I always loved you" you looked at my wings, but you did not ask.

"I always knew you was an angel, my sweet Taemin" Your eyes closed and with trembling hands I took a small jar where I picked up your white soul.

I flew to the other side and you were stored in a special place.

I did not know how long I cried your death, in the nights Key comforted me in his arms.

But you see Minho, you saved a life, you are entitled to another. You reincarnated in a small village called Incheon.

I was so happy, you were right to return to live and this time without suffering.

I did not know how many years I remained as shinigami, I did not know how many eternities lie ahead without you.

And I did not mind sacrificing them.

You'll still love me Minho-hyung?

 

 

The children's laughter echoed through the park, children up and down the games, some sitting eating ice cream.

"Little Girl!" a boy shouted to a small blond child that was on the sandbox

"I'm not a girl!" the boy cried and through the nose while doing a pout.

"Leave him alone" another boy spoke, standing in front of the blonde, defending him, the other snorted and left annoying "Are you okay?" leaned in front of the child who cried and wiped the tears from pink and plump cheeks.

“Thank you”

“It's nothing, I'm Choi Minho, are you?”

“Lee Taemin”

 

A/N:  Hello ~ Sorry for taking so long, but I'm in exams and is a rather long story. But, I hope you liked it. Thank you for subscribing and comment: 3

 
Oh and yes, in the end Minho and Taemin reincarnate.
Thanks for reading
 
Love, YonHye~