Bad dream

Reality

 

It was night time, already dark out, I was in the park inside a police tape perimeter with some other guys standing around.

A guy in a suit walked towards us followed by a constable.

“I'm sorry” he bowed his head slightly whilst looking into each of our eyes

“what?” I asked, not having the situation entirely to the T

“Kimberly has passed away” with which he turned around and walked back the limp body on the ground with the coroner assessing her

I couldn't believe it, it was too much, just minutes ago we were all playing, drinking, having fun and then...I stood staring into space not wanting to except the passing of my best friend, a warm, large hand slowly rubbed my back as though the person whose hand it was expected me to break down in tears, but it wasn't real, it couldn't be real, IT WAS UNFAIR! Yes I was angry, I have the right to be, she was only 16, why couldn't an elder die or someone else who has already lived their life...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Honey, wake up, don't you have class this morning?” my Mother called up the stairs

I groaned and rubbed my head, thinking of my dream, how realistic it was. I sauntered over to the shower and looked in the mirror out of habit, I look fat, I shouldn't eat so much, it was the same every morning, I was never happy with myself, I didn't do well in exams, I ate junk food all the time, I can't even bring myself to wear anything but jeans out of the house because they give me a sense of closure. I undressed and stood on the weighing scales, 58kg, God I was fat, I hated it.

I got in the shower and washed my hair etcetera.

When I got out I wrapped the towel around me and walked back to my room and got dressed, packed my bag and went downstairs.

“Are you okay going to school today, Honey?” my mother asked as I entered the kitchen

“I'm fine, I'm always late anyway” I poured a glass of water and glugged it down, sprinting out the door and up the road.

As I neared the school I slowed to a walk so I could catch my breath and not look rushed, as I approached the main gate, I walked past the Head Master's office par normal, but this time I had did a double take as Kimberly's Mother was talking to the Head Master but she was crying, my heart dropped, I could feel it hurting and my head hurt, Kimberly can't be d-gone, she has to of one won an award or something to make her Mother cry like that, I neared the gate but the sinking feeling wouldn't go away as much as I tried to convince myself that all I had was a dream, it wasn't real.

I stopped walking and stared into the school hoping she would jump at my back or pop round a corner but nothing happened, we always arrived at school at the same time, why was she late? Or if she was early, why was her Mother still here?

I turned and walked back out of the school drive and out onto the pavement, I turned left, away from my house, away from the school and the high street, I didn't want to see anyone, I felt like if I did then I would just break, it wouldn't mater who it was, I didn't want to see them, I kept walking until I heard laughter and casual banter ahead of me, I came out of my mindless wander and saw a boy from my class on a bike, riding beside his friends walking on the pavement toward the school, my eyes started b with tears, my walk slowed to a shuffle trying not to cry.

They moved closer, their conversation stopping when I was noticed walking away from school.

When they were a few meters away I stopped moving and looked at Zac (on the bike) and Charlie (walking with two others).

“Are you okay?” Zac rode up to me and asked

I nodded but let a tear slip down my face, this isn't what I wanted, why couldn't they just go past, my knees gave out and I fell to the floor, kneeling in front of them, covering my face, crying.

“shhh, shhh calm down” Zac dismounted and rubbed my back like the guy in my dream, whispering for me to calm down in my ear. 

“Can you stand?” he asked, I nodded slowly as he helped pull me up, when I was sranding, my vision went fuzzy for a moment and I fell forward onto his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around my shoulder and gently my hair.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Zac asked,

"She's gone" I sobbed into his shoulder, "she's really gone"

“um...Zac, we're late so we're gonna go to class, see you later” One of his friends said as they went past, Charlie looked worried then followed his friends to school.