--

My First Love.

 

Jinki doesn't regret marrying his wife. He loves her dearly, and would do anything for her. He couldn't have married anyone better.

Jinki also loved his daughter. She was daddy's little girl, and the sunshine of his life.

 

 

But sometimes, when his wife and daughter are out, and he's left alone at home, he can't help but remember his first love.

JInki's first love was a male, just slightly a year younger than him. His name was Jonghyun.

He can't help but think of Jonghyun sometimes, the way he smiled, the way he talked, the way he worked so hard at what he wanted, they way he kissed Jinki at night, the way they cuddled together on the couch, the way he leaned into Jinki's touches. 

 

 

Jonghyun was Jinki's best friend in high school. They immediately clicked when they met each other and became closer than ever afterwards. They would do anything and everything together.

Jonghyun was the first to ask Jinki out, all shy and nervously fiddling with his hands. Jinki was taken aback, but nodded and murmured a quiet yes, his cheeks turning a bright red.

The way Jonghyun looked so relieved, so happy at that moment.. Jinki didn't regret anything. Especially with the way how perfect his lips felt against Jonghyun's, how easily Jonghyun's hands slipped into his, how every time Jonghyun touched him Jinki felt that spark.

 

 

Jonghyun and Jinki stayed together, as a happy couple, until Jinki's last year of high school.

Jinki always thought they'd be together. He always thought they'd stay in their own happy bubble. But apparently everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Everything slowly started going down hill. 

Jonghyun started to slowly distance himself from Jinki.

It hurt Jinki, but he had a feeling why.

He saw how Jonghyun and Kibum, the freshman, worked so perfectly together. Looked so perfect together.

He saw how Kibum looked at Jonghyun with the same love Jinki had for Jonghyun.

He saw how Jonghyun started looking at Kibum the same way he used to look at him.

He saw how Jonghyun's smiles, the ones that made Jinki's heart beat happily, were starting to be directed at Kibum only.

He saw. He saw everything.

But Jinki was a fool, a fool in love. He could stay selfish for just a little bit longer.

 

 

On Jinki's graduation day, he tearfully hugs Jonghyun goodbye. Jonghyun's confused as to why Jinki's being so dramatic, because they'd still see each other even after Jinki's gone.

Jinki shakes his head. "You have Kibum to be with, Jjong."

Jonghyun stares at Jinki wide eyed, as if he was caught cheating. Jinki can't help but smile at his expression.

"In other words, we're breaking up." Jinki says, voice shaking. He's also shaking. It just hurts. A lot. But he knows what's right, what's right for him and Jonghyun. 

Jonghyun tries protesting, but Jinki won't have any of that. 

"I see the way you look at Kibum. The way he looks at you, too. You two are perfect for each other. I just couldn't help being a little bit selfish in keeping you for myself until today." Jinki tries explaining without turning into a crying mess.

"Hyung, I.. I'm, I'm sorry." Jonghyun looks at him apologetically, regretfully, and keeps his head low.

Jinki smiles sadly and pats him on the shoulder. "It's.. it's fine. It- It really.. is." Jinki tries saying.

Jinki tries. Tries so hard. He doesn't want to end this crying. But he can't help it. He can't help the way his heart feels like it's getting stabbed, he can't help the tears streaming down his cheeks, he can't help the way he feels so broken.

Jonghyun hugs him then. Literally squeezes the life out of him. "I'm seriously so sorry, Jinki. I love you. I do, but.. I just. I can't help it. I can't help the feelings that grew for Kibum. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Jonghyun says, voice shaking and tears falling also.

They stay like that for awhile, both crying messes and with Jonghyun apologizing every few seconds.

 

 

Jinki and Jonghyun distance themselves after that. Jinki's idea, because it still hurts alot. Jonghyun nods in understanding, telling him to keep in touch every now and then. Jinki says he will, tells him for him and Kibum to be happy, and they both go their own ways.

 

 

 

"Appa. Appa? Appaaa~" Jinki hears a young girl call out playfully. He smiles when he realizes it's his daughter. Jinki pats her on the shoulder and lifts her up, carrying her in his arms.

The young girl giggles, and Jinki smiles at her. "How was my sunshine's day at school today~?"

The young girl suddenly frowns, a cute pout forming on her face. "Horrible!" She exclaims. "We have a new music teacher. He's so weird!"

Jinki laughs at his daughter's adorableness. "What's this new teacher's name?"

"Kim Jonghyun."

Jinki's eyes widen then. The name ringing in his head, memories rushing. But he doesn't feel his heart beat faster, doesn't feel anything, really. Nothing but pure nostalgia.

"Ah, Jonghyun. Does he talk too much? Have an amazing singing voice?"

The girl nods her head. "Yes! Do you know him, appa?"

Jinki smiles warmly. "I've known him. He was my bestest friend."

His daughter nods. "I see.. I guess I'll have to treat him better then!" She decides.

Jinki laughs heartily.

 

 

So, Jinki does sometimes think of Jonghyun, wondering what it would be like if they were still together.

He was as happy as can be with Jonghyun. But he's even more happier with his wife now, he thinks.

He's also grateful for Jonghyun though. For Jonghyun showing him what love is, what heart break's like, for always being so kind. For being Jinki's best friend.

Jinki loves Jonghyun, but not as he used to. Not anymore.

And he's quite alright with that, he thinks as he hugs his wife and kisses her when she gets back from work, feeling that familiar spark, and as he tucks his daughter in good night, kissing her on the forehead.

 

He thinks that maybe, Jonghyun too, is alright with it. Happy with who he's with right now, happy where he is.

 

And in the end, that's good enough for Jinki.