Final

When I Was Your Man

(He’s POV)

We’ve been a couple for two and a half years. I know right. It’s already been a long time. People would actually ask us about when we would plan to do our wedding day but we just chuckle and smile at them. They would ask us about it since we’ve shared so many things to each other and we’ve went through a lot together but we were happy. Or so I thought.

 

 

We broke up a few months after I became a trainee. It was a dream of mine to become a K-Pop Idol ever since I was a child and I got a chance and took the opportunity to reach it. I became very busy ever since I became a trainee that I didn’t realize that I had no time for her. I forgot about her and maybe that’s why we broke up.

 

 

Everything just felt different when I lost her. Just like when our song played on the radio. It’s the same song but it kinda sounds different. I don’t know but it felt like that. And it just tears me down when our mutual friends talk about her and my heart breaks a little when I hear her name.

 

 

Maybe I was just too young and too dumb to realize all the things I should’ve done as her boyfriend. Or maybe… Nahh. It is the reason. It was my pride, my ego, my needs and my selfish ways that caused a woman like her to walk out my life.

 

 

Now, three years after, I already debuted. We sold millions of albums worldwide and we topped so many charts. For short, we’re at the top of our game. But something’s wrong. I feel so empty. Like something is missing from me. And I instantly knew what it is. It was HER.

 

 

Then, a few minutes later, a friend of mine texted me. He said he was going to have a party at his house tomorrow and I was invited along with some of our other friends. I told him that I’m going to go. I’m not busy anyways. We’re on a break. And a party would distract me from thinking about her ‘cause obviously I haven’t moved on yet.

 

 

 

 

Fast Forward… The night of the party.

 

 

 

 

I wore the clothes I prepared earlier, this morning, for the party. I only have 20 minutes to get to the party. I took the keys of my car on the table then went to the parking lot. I opened the door, started the engine and drove off. It took me 19 minutes to get to his house. I parked my car then got out. I opened the door of his house and saw that the party was already in progress and everybody’s having fun. Some people are drinking while others are playing or breaking things in my friend’s house. There are some people who I don’t know but I saw some people who I do know.

 

 

I’ve been roaming around his house trying to find him for the past 30 minutes. A little after that, something stopped me from my tracks. I saw someone. Not my friend who invited me here but the person I’ve regretted losing.

 

 

It’s her. It’s really her. I couldn’t believe my own two eyes. It’s been three long years already. I missed her.

 

 

I was about to approach her when I saw something else. She’s dancing with someone. She’s dancing with another man.

 

 

My heart breaks. AGAIN. I really thought I have the chance to ask her for another chance. But I guess I don’t.

 

 

The guy whispers something to her ears and she smiles and giggles. I’ve never seen her like this before. I’ve never seen her this happy.

 

 

Was I that bad of a boyfriend? She really wasn’t happy with me for those two and a half years. *sighs*

 

 

I can’t take looking at this site anymore. I turned around and went outside with a martini on my hand that I took on my way out. I didn’t know why I didn’t notice this before but there were already so many people outside and still partying.

 

 

I sat down somewhere on the ground and drank my martini. I stayed like that for a few minutes ‘til I decided to go home. I was standing up from where I was sitting when I saw a pair of heels stop in front of me. I looked at the woman who’s wearing it and I realized that it was her. I froze for a sec and continued standing up. I looked at her and I noticed that she was shocked like me before when I first saw her. I bet that mutual friend of ours didn’t tell her also that I was going to be here.

 

 

“Hey.”, I said while showing her a fake smile to break the awkward silence between us.

 

“Hey.”, she replied.

 

“New boyfriend huh?”, I asked suddenly. I didn’t know why I said it but I can’t take that back now. I just have to go with the flow.

 

“Ah. Yeah.”, she said avoiding my gaze.

 

“Can I tell you something?”. I asked.

 

“What is it?”, she said.

 

“I know that I’m too late to try and apologize for my mistakes and I’ll never get to clean up the mess I made but believe it or not it haunts me every time I close my eyes. I was too young and too dumb to realize what I should’ve done as your boyfriend. I was stupid for not appreciating you. I was stupid for letting you go. I was stupid for not giving you that much love. But I did love you. I know that you didn’t feel it for two and a half years but I did. I swear.”, I said with sincerity.

 

She kept silent and just looked at me with teary eyes.

 

 

“And I just want you to know that I hope he buys you flowers and I hope he holds your hands. I hope he’d give you all his hours when he has the chance. I hope he takes you to every party ‘cause I remember how much you love to dance. I hope he does all the things I should’ve done when I was your man.”, I said to her while looking at her eyes the whole time with my tears falling.

 

After that, I turned around and left. I cried my heart out while I was on my way to my car to go home. I got to my car and opened the door. I was about to go in but instead, I turned around and looked at her direction. I hope you’d be happy with him because as long as you’re happy, I’m ready to move on. And with that I got in my car, started the engine and went home.