Sunny Sunday

Shinhwa: The Love Stories

 

 

July 11, 2010 Sunday

 

 “Yeoboseyo?” A sleepy voice answered Minwoo’s call only after about ten rings.

 

“YAH, Kim Hyoyeon! Wake up and get out of bed… I’m taking you out for breakfast in fifteen minutes.”

 

“Oppa, I can’t today. I’m having brunch with my flat mate later and then we’re going shopping.” She craned her neck to peer at her alarm clock noting that she still had a couple more hours before she has to get ready. “Why don’t you ask Sunny? I’m pretty sure she’s already up by now.”

 

“Okay… Maybe the two of us can have lunch again sometime this week?”

 

“I’ll check my schedule, oppa, and let you know by tomorrow morning…”

 

“Alright... Hope to see you again soon. Annyeong Kim Choding!”

 

Thankfully he hung up before Hyoyeon could let out a string of curses at him.

 

Just as the yoga instructor predicted, Sunny was up early on a Sunday morning. Her perky “Yeoboseyo?” was heard only after two rings.

 

“Hey Sunny-ah, I was hoping you haven’t eaten yet...” Minwoo wasted no time and got straight to the point.

 

“I’ve only had coffee, oppa. Why, what’s up?”

 

“Have breakfast with me! Hyoyeonie couldn’t be bothered and she told me to call you.”

 

“It’s good to know you only thought of me because your beloved cousin told you to, oppa.”

 

“Oh, mianhae… I just thought it might be too soon since the first date to ask you out again. I didn’t want to seem too eager!”

 

“Don’t worry… I’m not going to think that about you.” She giggled at how adorable he was behaving.

 

“Sooo… Pick you up in ten minutes?”

 

***

 

Minwoo brought Sunny to an off-road café just within her neighborhood. They both got the breakfast special of bagel with cream cheese, scrambled eggs and ham that come with unlimited brewed coffee.

 

“You don’t somehow strike me as a Sunday morning person, oppa.”

 

“What made you say that?”

 

“Well, I’ve pegged you as some kind of party animal and I figured you’d probably be hung over after an excessive Saturday night drinking with the guys.”

 

“First of all, the excessive night of drinking with the guys you’re talking about usually happens on a Friday… And you know where I was at that time.” He told her with a devious wink.

“Secondly, I may get invited to a lot of parties as a perk of the job but I am nowhere near the party animal that is Junjin!”

 

***

 

Meanwhile in Busan

 

Solbi woke up and found herself wrapped in a blanket with her husband’s arms slung possessively around her waist.

 

Last night’s events flashed frame-by-frame through her mind and made her realize that all of it did actually happen and was not just another one of her dreams.

 

Omo!!!” She sprung up and tried to gather her thoughts enough to make sense of what had transpired.

 

“Solbi-yah…” She heard Andy’s drowsy voice call out to her. “Come back here.”

 

“Oppa!!!” She shrieked as the full weight of the situation finally dawned on her.

 

“Yah, not too loud!” He grumbled crankily, knowing there’s no use trying to get back to sleep when his wife was already fully awake.

 

“We just had last night!!!”

 

“I know…” He told her calmly, sitting up next to his very agitated wife.

 

“You’re not even a bit concerned…?”

 

“Not concerned about what?”

 

“That I might get pregnant! We didn’t use protection last night…”

 

“I know that, too. And why should we be concerned? We’re married, Solbi-yah.”

 

“But I can’t get pregnant… I don’t want to be pregnant!”

 

“You don’t want to have a baby?!”

 

Her sudden silence worried him a great deal. He always envisioned himself having a few children of his own someday…

 

But would that remain an unfulfilled wish now that he thinks his wife apparently doesn’t want the same thing he does?

 

***

 

Back in Seoul

 

“Do you want ice cream? There’s a gelato stand at the mall that I really like.”

 

“Ice cream… right after breakfast? Oppa, are you trying to fatten me up?”

 

Aniya, I just didn’t want to take you home yet.” Minwoo admitted honestly. “Okay, how about watching a movie instead? Then maybe we can have ice cream after we’ve had lunch!”

 

She laughed at his eager mood and gamely went with the flow. “Lead the way, oppa!”

 

*****