That's What Dreams Are Made Of

That's What Dreams Are Made Of

 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice,

That’s what little girls are made of.

Snips, snails, and puppy dog tails,

That’s what little boys are made of.

But day and night, dark and light,

That’s what makes children grow up.

Then whishes and hopes are all that’s left,

And that’s how dreams are made up.


 


 

 

Daybreak

“What are you going to do now?”

“Now? I’m going to make another single, go on another tour, make another hit…What else?”

“Don’t you ever want to try something else? Like start a business, or a family?”

            There she stood, on top of the world. That Amazing Child, the Prodigy, the Wonder Girl. They chanted her name as the song finished and she waved to them, soaking up the love they gave to her. For the first time in a while, she felt alive.

            Never had she felt so accomplished, so loved. Her dreams came true and it was the best feeling in the world. She didn’t need anyone. She could do this on her own, and she didn’t need the others. Sure, she still stuck with the group, but if she wanted to, she could do it all alone, and she’d be better than fine.

            But whether she knows it or not, she needed a new dream; A new hope to wish for and work toward.

 “No, I have my dream, and I don’t intend to give it up.”

 

Morning

            Sun shone through the window of the small apartment. Slowly, her eyes fluttered open, taking in her surroundings. Bright sunlight, clothes strewn across the floor, the smell of bacon coming from across the apartment; something happened last night that shouldn’t have.

            Holding the sheets against herself, she sat up. A sharp pain stung her gut, and she braced herself against the mattress, gripping the sheets for dear life. Cool air across her back made her shiver. She wasn’t wearing any clothes.  She laid herself back down and stared up at the ceiling. She was absolutely terrified.

            “Sohee? Are you awake?” called a voice. He appeared at her bedside. Sohee looked over at him, fear and worry obvious in her eyes. Gently, he cupped her face, and brushed his thumb against her cheek.

            “Good morning, sunshine. Come on, I’ve made breakfast for you.” Kissing her forehead, he walked off towards the apartment’s small kitchenette. Though his face showed sincerity and calm, his eyes were just as scared as hers, and his reassuring voice held an undertone of uncertainty.

            The rest of their morning was spent in silence. Quietly, she dressed and ate breakfast with him. Quietly, they sat together, trying to decide what to do. Silently, they agreed not to say a word about what happened. Silently, they drove to the local clinic.

            And with much difficulty, she quietly cried when the test results came back positive.

“Haven’t you always dreamed of having a family of your own?”

“…not like this…”

            He pulled her into a tight hug as she sobbed. They both knew what would happen. Once the word got out that the Wonder Girls’ Sohee is pregnant, everything would be over. The media and fans would tear them to pieces…no, they’d tear her to pieces. First they’d attack her mind, then they’d hurt her body, and finally they’ll plague her dreams. After all, when something goes wrong, the fans will never blame their “oppa”.

“Heechul, I’m scared.”

 

Midday

            Seven months. It had been seven months since she left the Wonder Girls. It had been seven months since they found out she’s pregnant. It was only last week that the public found out why she left.

            Walking out on the streets, in the middle of the day, they spotted her leaving a café. The fans immediately surrounded her, questioning her. They screamed to be answered. Why did she leave the Wonder Girls? Why did she leave so suddenly? Why didn’t she even say goodbye?

            And then, one fan spotted it. That fan saw Sohee’s bulging stomach and shouted to the others. Then they all knew. They started pushing each other, fighting to be at the front of the crowd, to get a picture, to see for themselves that it was true. They needed to see that it was true, and it was.

            They shoved, and they pushed, and they rammed against one another, enclosing Sohee in a tight circle. She dropped her purse in exchange for protecting her un-born child. Protectively, she wrapped her arms around her stomach, and tried to find a way out of the crowd. They pushed each other, they pushed her, they touched her, they touched her child.

“Stop!” She screamed. “Stop it! Stop, you’ll hurt her!” she screamed over and over again. They couldn’t get to her child. She’d given up everything for this child, and she wasn’t about to let anyone take her away.

But to no avail.

            They continued to push, they continued to shove, they continued to touch her and her child. Hands d everywhere they could, trying to touch the child that caused her sudden departure from her beloved group. They got closer, they started to hit her, they started to hit her child.

            Then it all went black.

“Doctor Paek, how are they?”

“The mother is fine, she’s only exhausted, and in shock…”

“…and my little girl?”

“…She’ll live...”

“but?”

“…There may be complications…”

 

Afternoon

            He felt her squeeze his hand again as she screamed. There was nothing he could do to ease her pain, except be there for her. Her pain filled screams pierced the room as nurses ran back and forth, collecting blankets, checking monitors, and yelling at her to push.

            For the past ten hours, he’d been there with her. At exactly 4:38 in the afternoon, in the middle of their date, it happened. He’d been there as she doubled over in pain, saying it was time. He’d been there with her, driving her to the hospital while trying to calm her, He’d been there as the nurses changed her into a hospital gown, and laid her on a bed. He’d been there when she began screaming in pain. He was there now, holding her hand, telling her it would be alright, as she tried her hardest to push their child out.

He was so scared. After everything they’d been through, would it really be alright? Sohee gave up her dreams for this. She decided to give up all of her hopes, wishes, and dreams for this child. And where did it get her? It got her into a hospital too many times because fans suddenly attacked her, or she fainted from exhaustion, and right now, because it was finally time to meet their child.

For a whole hour, he’d been watching her face contort in pain as the child was being born, and he could see she was beginning to tire. It scared him. It wouldn’t be long before she let exhaustion over take her again, and then what would happen? Would she be alright? Would their child be alright? Would he be alright?

This was everything he’d dreamed of. He’d always wanted to be a father, with a beautiful wife and a happy, healthy child. But the circumstances of his family complicated things. She’d given up her dream, but he selfishly kept his. What if she wouldn’t be alright? Was it punishment for him for being so selfish? What if she didn’t make it? What if neither of them made it?

As what if’s raced through his mind, she squeezed his hand again. Tired and panting, she looked over at him, and smiled. It would be alright; everything would be alright. Then another wave of pain came, and she screamed again. And she screamed, and she pushed, and she cried.

She cried, and they smiled.

“Heehul, how is she? How’s our Minhee?”

 

Suddenly, he forgot what he was so afraid of. Here, in his arms, laid his beautiful daughter. She was a strong girl, just like her parents. Despite what the doctors said, she'd never have any problems in life. He just knew it.

“Beautiful, just like her mother.”

Night

“..And the princess decided, she would rather keep her daughter instead of be a princess. The princess gave up her crown, but the prince kept her at the palace, making sure she was cared for, no matter what. Then, when their daughter was born, they went off on their own, and they lived happily ever after.”

            “Umma, you’re the princess aren’t you? And Appa is the prince?”

            “Minhee-ah, you’re such a clever little girl.”

            “Umma, I’m almost in high school. Of course I can figure that one out. You were part of an idol group, right? The Wonder Girls?”

            “Yes, I was part of that group.”

            “Why did you give it all up for me? It was your dream right? Aren’t you the one who told me to never stop chasing my dreams, no matter what?”

            “Well, there comes a time when you’ve reached all of your dreams, and you have to find a new one. I…I reached my dream of being a star. I was on top of the world. I sang, I danced, and the fans loved me. Then you came along…and at first I was scared. I knew that my dream had ended, and I couldn’t follow it anymore, but I didn’t realize I already achieved it. And then you were born, and I realized I had a new dream.

            “From the beginning, I hoped and prayed you’d be okay. Whenever something bad happened to me, I’d worry about you first. When you were born, I finally saw that you were my new dream. I realized I wanted to be the best mother I could, all for my little girl.

“After all of the bad happens, and your hopes are all that you have left, you wish for things to get better, and suddenly you have a new dream.”

“Umma…that’s really sweet, but promise you’ll never say anything like that in front of my friends?”

“Sweetie, I’m your mother. Of course I’m going to say things like that. It’s my job to embarrass you.”

“…Appa’s rubbing off on you…”

 


 


 

 

She was the girl that had it all,

On top of the world, she’d never fall.

He was the boy they loved so dear,

Clever and funny, he had nothing to fear.

But a day of fun, and a night of passion

Crushed their hope, it seemed.

But a little wishing and some time spent missing

Brought them both new dreams.