Prologue

C · H · U

Disclaimer;

I do not own The creative rights to Entertainment, YouTube or any of the REAL artists mentioned. This is merely a work of Fiction. I do, however, own the rights to this publication & the characters i HAVE made up myself. 

Plagiarism , don't steal my work. I will hunt you down.

 

----------------

 

3 years ago:

 

"Anna, you do realise that's a Korean entertainment company, right?"

"So? It's an online competition, it hardly says you have to be Korean to enter. Look there see, that girls American and she's entered." I glanced at the laptop scream doubtfully.

"Right, but she's singing a Korean song. I don't speak Korean, if you haven't noticed!"

"Then just learn one Korean song. Come on Cal, it's not hard, theres loads of sites that release Romanized lyrics to make the songs easier to learn."

"You're crazy." I muttered, leaning back in the computer chair. "You think I can honestly learn a foreign song? Jesus Anna, that's like saying I should know the lyrics to the Macarena since I've hear it so much!"

"Look, you asked for my advice and help, this is what I've come up with. You've had no luck with the local label company's-"

"Thanks for the reminder." I muttered.

"-So why not give overseas companies a go? What have you got to loose?"

"My respect?" I sighed, shaking my head. "I'll look like an idiot trying to sing in a different language. My pronunciation will be all wrong, it will mess up the tone and-"

"Just give it a go, okay? You never know, you might enjoy it. They hold these competitions all the time, so you don't have a time limit. Just... Have fun with it, see it as a challenge to your talent."

Heaving another sigh I glanced at the screen again. A competition for a chance to become a trainee at SMentertainment in Korea if they like your audition video.

Two categories, singing and dance... I could do this, right?

"Fine, ill do it." I muttered in defeat.

In all honestly, this was probably my last option. I'd tried all American and English agencies, but they all wanted ridiculous amounts of money just to audition or required stupid portfolios which would cost more than my house to make.

At least, I thought wryly, this audition is free.

So... What did I have to lose?

 

------------------

 

One day in September, 2009;

 

"Wow, seriously I like this one the most!" Anna smiled, after listening to my newest song cover on my YouTube account.

I smiled proudly.

"I really like this one, too. I had fun playing about with sound effects and mixing my voice up. Adding the layers was hard but... I think the outcome is great."

"Me too. You sound just like a star now." She laughed.

"Hardly. This is just Youtube, and I never get much attention on my audition videos."

"Thats because you use a separate account to do it. How you expect your fans to vote for you if they don't know you auditioned?"

"Isn't that cheating, though? Using my actual YouTube accounts fans to vote for me?"

"Loads of people do that, silly. Just upload a new audition video to your main YouTube account. Trust me, you'll win."

"We'll see." I muttered, fiddling with my iTunes account, sorting my music into various folders, separating the Idols songs from my recorded ones and my Korean lesson audio files.

Ever since Anna had introduced me to the world of Kpop, I was obsessed. I had all the new albums of my favourite bands, my walls were covered in pictures and I'd even began to learn Korean, mastering the basics and learning Korean songs well.

Even my covers of some popular Kpop songs were becoming quite big in the Kpop fan world of YouTube.

I'd come far, but also gotten nowhere at all. I was YouTube popular, yeah, but still nowhere close to being signed. I'd soon be graduating high school (well, in another year) and wanted to start a college degree in Music, though had no real hope of ever 'making' it.

Looking through various unloaded audition tapes and recordings I had still on my laptop I began to plan a new, kick audition video.

At least, I reasoned, if I'm going to use my fans for votes, I need to give them something worthwhile to vote for.

So, here goes nothing~