Taken.

From My Little Home To King Jinki's Palace

King Jinki's POV

King: Guards! I want you to go out and find the prettiest girl in Seoul! Go to markets and look on every street. Regardless of social class!

 

Soojung's POV
 
After a long day of selling rice cakes on the streets of Seoul, I finally got to go home. I was walking with my sister Sooyeon as we chatted.
 
Sooyeon: How much did you sell?
 
Me: Around 30 cakes.
 
Sooyeon: I sold 25. People aren't as much anymore. Ever since that jerk of a king raised the price of rice!
 
Me: I guess. How much did you make?
 
Sooyeon: 28450 won. (25 dollars). You?
 
Me: 36416 won. (32 dollars).
 
Just as we approached a corner, we saw many guards looking around the city. Many girls were taken and put into a very expensive looking wagon. One of the guards had seen me and was approaching me.
 
Guard 1: Isn't she pretty? Will King Jinki like her?
 
Guard 2: Get her.
 
They got closer.
 
I looked at Sooyeon and she had a worried look on her face. My heart was pounding and my legs were shaking.
 
Sooyeon's eyes started to drop some tears and was trembling.
 
Sooyeon: Ru-run.
 
We both started running. The guards began running too and at a very quick  pace. We ran through all the streets and in some cases almost got us killed. There many wagons and busy people walking along the streets. The vendors were watching the sight and the bypassing ladies were gossiping. I started to run out of breathe. The guards were on our tail and didn't look very tired.
 
Sooyeon: Run into the temple!
 
We ran to the temple hoping that the guard didn't see us. Just as I ran, my hanbok got caught in my feet, causing me to fall. I looked over at Sooyeon, but she was already inside. I tried to get up, but by the time I did. The guard caught me.
 
Guard 2: What do you think you're doing? Running from the guards is against the law. I could have you arrested.
 
Guard 1: Easy there. Let's take her to the wagon.
 
Guard 2: Where's the other girl?
 
He looked at me with the evilest eyes I've seen. I looked at him directly in the eyes. Trying not to show fear.
 
Me: I don't know.
 
He had a disgusted look on his face.
 
Guard 2: How dare you speak in that tone to a guard!
 
He slapped me and grabbed me by the hair.
 
Guard 2: You ! Don't ever do that.
 
Guard 1: Gentle. Who knows, maybe she'll be the future queen of the country.
 
Queen of the country? What?
 
They both chuckled as we made our way to the corner where I first saw the guards. I was scared just like any girl. I was mad because I was just slapped and I'm being taken to God knows where.
 
I tried leaving their grip, but I couldn't.
 
Me: Let me go. You bastards! Let me go!
 
One of the guards hit me with a stick in the knee. I let out an agonizing scream. The pain got worse as we approached the wagon.
 
I made my way into the wagon. There were about 10 girls in here. All very pretty. Small face, big eyes, and prominent chin. Most were weeping hysterically and some were very calm.
 
I held my knee and waited for the pain to leave my body. I saw little of that and my worries grew thinking of how mom might be feeling right now. Did Sooyeon tell her? I started crying as I had no idea where I was going.
 
The wagon started moving and we made our way through Seoul. All the vendors looked at us and some moms were crying for their daughters. I tried looking for my mother among the people, but no luck. A little boy waved at us thinking it was a parade. I was so confused.
 
We arrived at the National Palace. All the girls' worried faces became somewhat curious and some even smiled.
 
The guards told us to get off and make our way into the palace. I got off last, for I had a bad knee. I slowly walked inside and there were about 20 girls in the palace. Most were laughing and gossiping. Some talked about their boyfriends, others about their hanboks. Some were rich and some were poor. I decided to stay in the back with all the other girls who were worried.
 
It was very loud in the room. The room was beautiful and was painted a beautiful ivory color. As I admired the room I neglected to hear the room going silent. I looked at the front and noticed that everyone was bowing. I then saw him.
 
King Jinki. He was very tall, his chin was very chisled, his eyes were sweet and strong at the same time. His lips were perfect and his eyebrows were very thick and well done. He looked strong and somewhat....perfect?
 
I bowed and looked at him again. My heart was pounding and I almost forgot about my knee pain. ALMOST. My knee bent causing me to fall and hit my knee. I let out a scream and everyone stared at me. Some girls were talking trash and giving me glares.
 
I got up slowly and bowed again.
 
King Jinki: Hello ladies. Welcome to my palace. Some of you will stay here and live, othes will simply leave and return home. You will all walk infront of me and do a turn. This will determine who stays and who leaves.
 
All the girls walked and e by one. Some tried to act cute and others more y. Then there's me. I walked really awkwardly and slowly due to my bad leg. His Majesty looked confused and spoke up.
 
King: What's wrong with your leg?
 
Me: One of your guards hit me with a stick...on my knee.
 
King: Who?
 
I looked around trying to find him. No luck.
 
Me: I don't know.
 
The King then looked at one of the guards.
 
King: Take her to the nurse. Gently.
 
The guard saluted him and walked me out of the room. I was still scared, but the King's sweet, yet striking voice somehow told me everything was gonna be ok.