In the age of seventeen

The garden of his spirit

When we are teens we tend to do mistakes and be judged by other people.

We keep secrets from one another and we think that life is hopeless cause only now

do we realise how many things we need to do to survive.

I didn't have those problems as a teen.

And If I had, then I probably didn't realise them because there was you.

I had to take care of you...

I didn't know that even you, who were considered my brother, kept what was called a ''secret '' from me

 

 A seventeen year old girl entered the hospital’s door, holding a lunch box in her hands.

Her face emotionless, empty, like all the life had been absorbed from it leaving nothing but a poker expression.

She walked towards the elevator and pressed the button for the 3rd floor. When she reached it, she smiled to the lady in the office and with slow steps she moved to the door with the number 341. She sighted and then put a fake smile on her face before opening it.

- Oppa, you are awake? She asked with cheerful voice, making her way to the bed where her best friend was lying.

- Sohee you came, his voice was hoarse from sleeping. He stretched a little bit and then opened his arms widely calling her to go there and sit with him.

- I brought you your favourite fruit. It’s strawberry season so here you go, she said and opened the lunch box giving him the chopsticks to eat the delicious strawberries.

- Sohee-ah, I…I forgot to tell you….Tomorrow you don’t need to come here, he said, starring at the food but not touching it.

- Why? Is it perhaps that you are starting special treatment tomorrow? She asked hopefully, her eyes sparkling from happiness

- Yeah….something like that…you can say that I will feel much more relieved starting from tomorrow…the pain would be gone..

- That’s great! I am so happy oppa ^^ . Now why won’t you eat, you look pale, paliii or they would not be that tasty later

- Sohee… I am sorry. I can’t eat right now, Woohyun said, his face resembling a corpse.

- But…but I brought them especially for you, she said, her bottom lip trembling, tears threatening to fall.

- Yah!! You are seventeen and you are acting like a five-year old. Ok I will try to eat, he surrendered and hesitantly his hand approached the chopstick. It was obvious that it was trembling, his face became sweaty and his expression was slightly painful.

Finally, he grabbed the chopstick, only to leave it fall from his hand and then his head fell behind.

-Oppa, Woohyun what is going on? Sohee asked in worried look, are you hiding something?

- Nothing, it’s nothing for you to be afraid. I am totally fine.

- You don’t seem like this though, she pouted, lowering her head for him not to see her tears. He seemed to realize anyway and slowly he grabbed her waist, bringing her closer to his body letting her feel his warmth.

He hugged her tightly and placed a sweet kiss on her forehead.

-Remember when you said you wanted me to move next to your house?

- Yes of course. But I never expected you moving here because you have cancer and you need treatment, I thought we would spend time together.

- But we are…

- Not like that. I mean going out, watch a movie or taking a walk to our garden, it’s waiting for us you know, she whispered like it was a secret and he chuckled. Then his expression became serious again

- I know you had lot of dreams involving both of us…and I am sorry you I am ruining them all, Woohyun caressed her hair

- Don’t blame yourself…blame that stupid disease that tries to take you away from me.

- Sohee…

- Oppa you will be fine, I know it. Tomorrow you will start treatment, I am sure and until summer time you will get out and we will do all the things we wanted to.

   Woohyun couldn’t take it anymore…he started crying. He was letting out all the tears he had been holding all this time, still hugging Sohee.

She moved her body, now facing him, hugging him as well.

- Why are you crying?

- Baby girl, I am not starting a treatment. Today actually is my last day in this world. I decided that I don’t want to be in pain anymore, I can’t endure it. And I hate it that you come here everyday and miss life out there.

- I…no! No you can’t leave me! You promised, Sohee said desperately

- I won’t leave you

- Really? You will be dead and that’s not leaving me?

- My body may not be here but my spirit…

- I don’t need your spirit, no don’t start with me all those melodramas I watch in the movies. I want all my oppa, both body and spirit

- I am sorry, but please think about me for a moment. I need relief. Death is the only way. I would suffer for months but now…

- Arasseo… I don’t want to hear anymore. I am not going to stay here and watch you die unable to do something about it… and you apparently chose to leave me…

- You will leave? Sohee today it’s the last day… Tomorrow I will be gone

- Goodbye oppa, she said kissing him on the cheek and removing his hand from her waist.

She then run outside the room hearing him screaming her name with sadness and sorrow. She didn’t seem to care, she was so angry. She didn’t even realize how long she had been running when she reached her home.

 

 

The next day her whole family went to Woohyun funeral. Her mother loved him so much that couldn’t stop crying. Sohee stayed at home the whole day. Only when night came, did she realized what happened and collapsed on the floor, regretting  all she said and did.