At the Cafe

My Bias Waiter

God forbid you tried to study. You had two papers to write, plus a bibliography, and a midterm all coming up in the next five days and absolutely everyone you knew felt the need to talk to you. It was the umpteenth time that your roommate had barged into your room for help with her homework that caused you to erupt. After demanding your roommate went on her knees, you lectured her for five minutes about how you too had your own responsibilities, without realizing you were wasting more time by yelling at her.

That was it! You couldn’t take anymore of this. 

You had to get away. After quickly changing into a simple pair of jeans and a pullover hoodie, you collected your things and went to the closest 24 hour cafe. Usually this cafe was quiet, and there typically was only students, who also had to study for their exams, paper and tests. But today was different.

Upon walking into your characteristically empty cafe, you were not pleased by the sheer number of girls sitting on the first level, phones out, trying to take pictures of the waiters. You scoffed, rolling your eyes. The waiters here were nothing special. Not to be rude or anything, mind you your standard had skyrocketed thanks to what high school girls in this area tended to call “idols”. Basically Korean celebrities who wore makeup and eccentric clothes were the top of your to do list.

You frowned and quickly dashed to the upstairs seating section, disregarding the cameras on your way up. As much as you were happy for the cafe, you were not pleased at the idea that this publication was going to get more people to come… thus making your quiet study place rather hectic and noisy. Maybe you’d need to find a new cafe to go to, which would be a shame. You had been going to this cafe for months now. The waiting staff knew you, and your order.

As you walked up to the “quiet” upstairs, you heard the shouts of the girls downstairs. “Key!” “Key-oppa!” You quickly spun around and ran back downstairs to confirm it with your own eyes. Lo and behold SHINee’s key was sitting behind the counter, with a grumpy expression on his face and cameras that you had failed to notice originally spaced around the cafe strategically. You turned back to him, finding his eyes on you. Immediately you felt your cheeks get hot, but this was only temporarily because as soon as he cracked a little grin, the fans around you automatically assumed it was for them and went into a frenzy. Your feet were swiped from underneath you and you felt yourself instinctively grab onto the railing to regain yourself. Eyes darting towards the hordes of fangirls, you grit your teeth. Livid would be an understatement at this point.

Without sparing another glance at the idol you swiftly stomped upstairs and hit the books. In order to lose the cacophony of noises from the lower level, you plugged yourself into your ipod and blasted the music so you wouldn’t be able to hear anything around you. Not even the feet of the idol you had made eye contact with previously repeatedly returning to check on you. You didn’t notice how he his eyes watched you with the utmost concern and adoration, and you definitely missed the little fighting signal he sent you. You were in the zone, with temporary breaks to jam out to a good drum beat with a set of pen drumsticks. But even during your rock solos you missed the well dressed man passing your table repeatedly. This man who hoped you would look up and notice him. Though no matter what he did, you were far too focussed to notice anything that wasn’t directly related to what you were doing. 

Even Key was surprised that you were so far into the zone, though you did seem amazingly stressed. He was curious as to what you were working on. But you would never know this because you were too busy focussing on yourself. You would never know how he didn’t want to be there, or how angry he felt about having schedule at some crummy cafe. He would never be able to communicate with you how much of a refresher you were for him. You wouldn’t know how he felt that moment you two made eye contact before his fans ruined it and you stormed off a livid mess.

While you studied quietly, the idol sat downstairs sulking behind the counter. It was getting late so most of the younger fangirls had left, making for a quieter atmosphere. So the staff decided to come out of their hiding places and approach the idol.

“Hey, are you okay?” One of the waiters asked, leaning on the counter next to the celebrity.

Key jumped a bit and looked at the fellow male. “Oh, yeah… I’m fine… Hey you guys have pretty loyal customers right?”

The other waiters meandered over now that their interest had piqued, all of them nodding.

“Yeah,” one of the baristas piped up. “Why? Someone catch your eye?”

For a moment, the idol hesitated. He wondered if he should tell these strangers the truth, but if he didn’t then there could be a possibility that you would leave before he ever had a chance to at least make contact. He could read another celebrity inside and out but normal girls were on a planet of their own. He nodded, “Yeah, she’s sitting upstairs right now. Came in with a giant backpack and stormed upstairs right away, and she hasn’t even ordered anything!”

The barista grinned, “You’re probably talking about _______… She was wearing a pink hoodie, right?”

Key nodded quickly, glad that he had a name. _______, it suited her… it was beautiful.

“She only gets one item off the menu, hot chocolate. She usually comes in late and so she tries to get something that isn’t overly caffeinated.” The barista said.

One of the more effeminate waiters smirked, mocking your tone of voice. “You see, if I have coffee I’m going to be wired. I just can’t do it!”

Key grinned, so you were like that? He ran his fingers through his light colored hair, trying to pick a plan of action. Soon enough a hot chocolate was placed in front of him. He grinned, knowing exactly who this was for. Quickly he grabbed a napkin and brought the drink up to you.

By this time you had returned to your homework, failing to notice him approach you. It wasn’t until the the drink was on the table that you looked up, but only at the drink. Giving the deliverer enough time to slip away as you pulled out your headphones. As you looked up to thank your waiter, you realized he was gone. You chuckled softly, smiling to yourself as you grabbed the drink and lifted it off the saucer. The folded napkin that had been weighed down by the full cup revealed itself and the scrawling that was on it. 

Quickly you swiped the napkin as you put the full cup back on its saucer. Clearly the note was more important.

Dear _______, 
I kind of wish I had a chance to talk to you today, but I’m not going to be here for long.
I mean… at the cafe… I’m not dying or anything. I am heading home soon because work is done… But, I was having a really bad day, and seeing you completely changed that around. I came to check on you a few times but you were so preoccupied I couldn’t do anything.
Would you consider letting me help you relax once all of your stuff is done?
I could take you for coffee, but not too late of course. I wouldn’t want you to not be able to sleep or anything.
Please consider it~
Key
P.S. I’d really like it if you called me Kibum though, bonus points for Kibum-oppa?
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Maybe your roommate needed to bug you a little more often, getting out of the house isn’t that bad after all.