Start of Forever

Notice Me

“Notice me, notice me,” I silently wish though I know it's quite impossible that he ever would.

 

I join the loud chants of the fans as we watch these two men perform. The vocalist, Jay Kim, swoons the crowd with his sweet yet powerful voice. His striking features have every girl in the concert arena attracted to him. His eyes sparkle as he watches the crowd cheering before him.

 

Then there’s the guitarist. He has hair dyed to an odd shade that would never look good on anyone. Anyone but him. His long fingers sweep nimbly through the cords.

 

Kim Jungmo – that’s his name.

 

He bangs his head to the rhythm of the music and smiles.

 

He smiles, and suddenly my heart starts to flutter. Everyone around me is zoomed out. All I can focus on is Jungmo.

 

“Kim Jungmo! Kim Jungmo! Kim Jungmo!” the crowd roars as the song comes to his guitar solo.

 

I have never believed in love at first sight. Yet standing here and staring at him, I’m sure this is what it feels like. The air is knocked out of me; I can neither breathe nor think.

 

This is crazy. I’m not supposed to feel like this.

 

------

 

I lose myself in the music, in our performance. The crowd chants my name. I play my guitar like there’s no tomorrow. The spotlight is on me. It shines extremely bright. But it’s not blinding; it’s hypnotizing. This is the moment I feel happiest: performing with Jay in front of our fans. I start to smile.

 

I scan my eyes through the crowd. And then I see her.

 

She looks familiar, yet I’m sure I’ve never seen her before. She smiles widely as she watches us perform. Her long straight hair flows with the wind. She laughs as her lips cheer my name.

 

She’s beautiful. And I cannot take my eyes off her.

 

------

 

The band starts playing another song. Jay waves at the audience and asks if we’re enjoying the show. The crowd screams “yes” in response.

 

Jay starts to sing and I recognize that the song isn’t theirs. It’s a song called “I Love You.” I try to recall the original artist of this song, but I can’t. And I don’t bother to. Jay’s voice has me captivated.

 

After the first verse, Jay walks towards Jungmo and holds the microphone to his mouth. He tells Jungmo to sing. And Jungmo does.

 

“I love you,” he sings in that unique and soothing voice of his.

 

For a moment, I see him look at me as he sings.

 

But I must be imagining things. It’s impossible for him to look my way.

 

------

 

I strum my guitar gently. “I love you,” I sing to the crowd…well, to her specifically. That beautiful girl whose name I don’t know. Whose name I need to know.

 

She catches me staring at her. I beam at her. She smiles back, but with a perplexed look on her face.

 

Did she get my message? Does she understand that I’ve noticed her and that I want to know her? Does she know that in the sea of people in front of me, she’s the one who has caught my eye?

 

And perhaps, even my heart…she has caught my heart.

 

I continue to sing the second verse and sing with Jay in the third, hoping she’ll hear the lyrics that I sing to her.

 

------

 

The concert eventually comes to an end. My best friend and I step out into the chilly spring night. She links her arm to my elbow. “Wasn’t that concert amazing?” she asks.

 

“Indeed, it was,” I answer with a smile. “TRAX is amazing.”

 

She has that dreamy head-over-heels look on her face. “And Jay is just…” she trails off. I know she’s lost in her imagination.

 

We walk towards the nearest bus stop. The cold wind continuously blows at us. I fish out my gloves out of my pockets and wear them. My best friend does the same, except her expression changes to a panicked look as she does.

 

“Omona! My phone…it’s not in my pocket. I’m sure I placed it here.”

 

“Check your purse. Maybe it’s just there,” I suggest.

 

She follows my suggestion, only to find out that here phone is indeed missing. She tells me to wait for her at the bus stop, then she rushes back to the concert hall to find her phone.

 

I continue walking. I start thinking about Jungmo again, and a smile forms on my face. My heart beats a little faster. I recall him looking at me.

 

“You’re out of your mind,” I tell myself. But I can’t deny that I was starting to have feelings for him even though I shouldn’t. He’s a rockstar. I’m just a fan.

 

I reach my destination. I sit on the metal bench under the shed, and I wrap my arms around myself to keep warm.

 

I hear footsteps fast approaching. “You’re back so soon. Did you find your phone already?” I ask as I turn to the direction of the sound, thinking that it would be my friend.

 

But it isn’t her. It’s someone I wasn’t expecting.

 

------

 

The concert comes to an end. Jay and I, along with our special guests: Siwon, Kangta, Zhou Mi and Tao (Jay’s so-called clones), gather to the center stage. We bow and thank the audience sincerely. The show wouldn’t be a success without them.

 

I spot her from the corner of my eye. I see her clapping enthusiastically. My heart starts to pound. What is this feeling?

 

I want to know her name, to talk to her, to get to know her. I want to see her smile. And I imagine holding her hand and hugging her. Is this love?

 

We exit the stage and head straight to the dressing room. The other guys joke around and congratulate each other. I look at them, five guys who are replicas of each other, and I smile and congratulate them too.   

 

Suddenly, I have this strong urge to run back to the stage and find her. I know this could be my last chance.

 

“Excuse me, guys. I need to go somewhere,” I say as I rush back to the stage.

 

As soon as I get there, I see that the concert hall is already empty. She’s gone. Disappointment rushes through me. Now how will I ever get to know her?

 

I see someone open the entrance for the audience. I know it’s not her, but then I realize that it’s only been fifteen minutes since the concert ended. She can’t be too far from here.

 

I run back to the dressing room to find my coat. I move so fast that my hands shake. I start to panic when I can’t find it. I decide to leave without it.

 

“Jungmo, why the rush?” Jay asks as he sees me.

 

“There’s this girl…I…I just need to talk to her.” I tell him.

 

He tosses his coat at me. “Take this,” he says. “Go. Run,” he smiles at me encouragingly. Jay always understands me.

 

I run out of the stadium as fast as I can. I decide to go left, to the nearest bus stop. She could be there.

 

The wind whips at my face. I can hear the sound of the leaves rustling and the sound of my own footsteps in the silent night. I run faster as I approach the bus stop.

 

I see her silhouette under the lamppost. She sits on the bench under the shed. I feel like crying out for joy. She’s here. She’s still here. She hasn’t left yet.

 

“You’re back so soon. Did you find your phone already?” she asks as she turns to me. She seems to be expecting someone else. She looks utterly surprised when she sees me.

 

She’s even more beautiful up close. My heart beats faster.

 

“Hi,” I say with a smile and a slight bow.

 

She stands up and greets me. “Hello,” she bows as she extends her hand for me to shake it. “I’m your fan.” She smiles at me sweetly. I feel like I’m in heaven.

 

I take her hand and shake it. I hold her hand for a few more seconds before I let go. “What’s your name?” I ask.

 

“Oh Jimin,” she answers.

 

Jimin. I will remember that name from this day on.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Jimin,” I tell her as I motion her to sit with me on the bench. There are so many things I want to tell her – all those emotions built up since the moment I saw her. But perhaps, I could save those for later.

 

“Can we be friends?” I ask her.

 

“Yes, Jungmo oppa,” she nods.

 

This could be the start of forever.

 

------

 

Jungmo stands a few feet away from me. I could cry from happiness. I know I’m not imagining things now. He’s here, in front of me, smiling at me.

 

His handsome features look surreal under the light of the lamppost. He walks closer to me.

 

He greets me like a gentleman. I extend my hand for him to shake it. He holds my hand for a few seconds. My heart flutters.

 

He talks to me and tells me to sit beside him on the bench. He looks at me, and asks me if I could keep him company for a little longer.

 

I nod and tell him yes.

 

Jungmo, I would keep you company forever.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

For those of you who don't know, Oh Jimin is J-Min's real name :) J-Min is a solo artist under SM Entertainment. She sang "Stand Up," the OST of the drama "To the Beautiful You"