First Meeting

The Stranger

 

“I’m so late.. so late… so late… ohmygoodness…. Im so late!” Hyemi murmured. The bus stopped and Hymei swiped her card, and rushed out of it. Reaching for her bag she whipped out her phone and checked the time.

*2:55… 2:55?!*

She quickened her pace, weaving through the busy streets. She checked the time again. *2:57* Picking up her pace again, she tried to move through the crowded streets. But, it was just too crowded, and Hyemi ended up tripping over a stranger’s shoe and in the process of doing so, she also ended up pulling another stranger down with her.

“I’m sorry miss, I wasn’t watching were I was going!” the stranger said as he helped Hyemi up

“Nonono.. it was me, I tripped over someone’s foot, and pulled you down. Look I would really love to talk more, but I really can’t! I need to be somewhere in… 2 minutes.. OH MY GOSH.. 2 minutes!? Okay I really should stop talking. I’m really sorry again! Sorry! Sorry!”

Hyemi bowed at the stranger and ran off again. The stranger chuckled and looked at the ground. There he saw a small blue notebook, and picked it up. *She must have dropped it….* Curiously, he opened it up to the folded page and found out it was an agenda book.

PICK UP YOONJAE @ Superkid Daycare, 3:00!!!! DON’T FORGET!!!!!!!!!

Chuckling the stranger closed the notebook and looked at his watch. *I guess someone’s late….*

 

Huffing and puffing, Hyemi arrived at her younger brother’s daycare.

“Noona! There you are! I was waiting for you!!”

“Sorry! Noona got caught in traffic on the way here! I’ll buy you ice cream, okay?”

“It’s okay noona! I was talking to a new friend I made today!”

“New friend?”

“Yea! He’s a hyung too!”

“A hyung?”

“I guess we meet again.” A voice interrupted their conversation.

“HUH? We met before?”

“I was the one that fell down due to your clumsiness.”

“Ahhhhhhhh…. You… I’m really sorry about that! Are you okay, sir?”

“Neh, actually I’m just here to return this too you.” The stranger said whilst handing over Hyemi’s notebook.

Her eyes widened.

“That’s my-

“Yea you dropped it. Here”

With that, the stranger walked away.

“Well…. Ain’t he a nice hyung?”

“Isn’t Yoonjae.. isn’t.”

“Eh?”

“Not ain’t, isn’t. Isn’t he a nice hyung.”

“Ahhh. AW NOONA. YOU ARE TOO SMART!”

Hyemi chuckled.

“C’mon Yoonjae, let’s go home!”

 

Reaching the Lee residence, Yoonjae and Hyemi walked into their little house. It was just the two of them. Their parents passed away when Yoonjae was just a baby, leaving him in Hyemi’s care.

“Yoonjae, go wash your hands, and noona will heat up your dinner, okay?”

During dinner, the Lee siblings sat down and had their daily conversation.

“How was school today Yoonjae?”

“Noona, the kids at school made fun of me because I don’t have parents..”

“Jae-“

“But don’t worry, I won’t let those bullies knock me down. I told them I have the best noona in the whole wide world!” Yoonjae said with a mouthful of rice.

Hyemi smiled at her younger brother’s cuteness. He was a gift from god, an angel from heaven. Without Yoonjae, Hyemi wouldn’t be able to survive. He was what motivated her to continue her life.

That night, after tucking in Yoonjae, Hyemi took out her blue notebook to write down her schedule for the next day. Flipping to the next empty page, she saw that someone had already written on it.

You seemed to have dropped this today, so I decided to return it to you.

-KM

P.S. your brother is adorable!

Hyemi chuckled at the stranger’s cute little note.

*How nice of the stranger.*