Part 1/1

Tooth Fairy

 

“Uhh,”

“Holy .” The little man winced at the words that came out from the human before him, he was tall, dwarfing him like a cockroach, and, well… probably looking at him like he is one, too. The human looked at him wide-eyed and full of curiosity, and a mix of frustration all thrown into that one look he is giving him right now.

Little ol’ Jinki was only doing his job. He did not intend to wake up this beautiful creature, which he honestly admits right before he feels the need to panic. The golden coin that he is holding is smaller than he is, but it hung heavily in his arms as he gulped down all the guts he have left and had fear taking over him. Images of him getting locked up, sold to scary old scientists with curly chest hairs and scary moles, and sliced up in the middle like an experimental frog, as this sole human discovered that his kind, some childhood make-believe, really do exist.

Jinki tried to speak up, “Y-you’re just d-dreaming…” He squeaked by that last word, suddenly feeling the need to crawl under the pillow. But that might give the human a chance to suffocate him.

“I’m not?” The human admitted but ,he had let those words out with a shade of uncertainty.

“No!” Jinki mused out loud, though he is sure his voice sounded as puny as a mouse compared to human beings, “You’re dreaming right now, okay?” Jinki said slowly, as if his language is an alien to this person. But then again, he himself probably is.

The human only blinked down at him, eyebrows burrowing. Jinki can see how his eyelids hung heavy down his eyes, the hint of feeling sleep is still there. He still has a chance. Maybe. This is his escape, if he could somehow find a way, or reason, to make him believe that this was all just a dream…

“What are you?” The guy slurred a bit in his sleep-addled mind, wondering if this creature is here to steal the coins he had as change. “I still can’t believe you… You’re…” The human reached down his finger to poke Jinki on the cheek, tipping him off his balance.

“…Incredibly cute,” The man gaped, looking at the tiny one in awe and earning an instant red on the latter’s cheeks. “I’m Jonghyun, what is your name?” He said, suddenly sounding more awake.

The smaller one reached down to play with the hem of his clothing, still blushing from the flattery earlier, “J-Jinki.”

“Do not fret, I’m not one to capture and trap you in a jar,” Jonghyun took and played with the golden coin that now lay forgotten on his bed, eyes not leaving Jinki. “Though, I must say, a tiny person like you has taken me captivated.”

Jinki’s whole form was already glowing in pink, “Please stop, your flattery has left me feeling speechless.” Jonghyun laughed, making the other blink up at him in curiosity. “B-but, thank you!” He gave him a 90 degree bow.

“Seriously, I am not smooth talking you, Jinki, if that’s what you’re thinking,” Jonghyun grinned.

“Do you know what I am, Jonghyun?” Jinki blinked, staring up at the other. Jonghyun shook his head, waiting for the other to continue speaking, “I’m a tooth fairy.” Jinki smiled, and Jonghyun was pretty sure he’s not lying, based from the beautiful rows of teeth that showed on the former’s radiant smile. Jonghyun likes his smile already.

“I can see why,” Jonghyun’s expression showed fascination.

“It’s rare to see a young adult like you, still hiding your tooth under your pillow though,” Jinki tried to hide his chuckle behind his hand. “I saw your tooth and decided to give you a coin, but I didn’t think you were a light sleeper,” Jinki looked down to kick a molecule on the bed, “I’m sorry I woke you up.”

“Sleep is important, but meeting you is far better than my top scorer dream,” Jonghyun’s smile turned into a thin line afterwards, staring in space in a contemplative manner, “Though I’m pretty sure I did not lose any of my teeth. I believe it was my 6 year-old cousin, Taemin, who had put it under my pillow.”

“Oh, then… I best deliver this coin to its rightful owner,” Jinki beamed, glowing into a nice shade of yellow and a sparkle of blue― a glow of determination. Jonghyun thinks he has never seen such magnificence.

“Or, I could just hand it to him?” Jinki smiled, appreciating Jonghyun’s offer, but they don’t work that way. He gently shook his head.

“I think it is better if kids wake up in the morning, the way they feel so excited to see what’s under their pillows, and the cute smiles they make, no matter a missing tooth or two, every time they see a gold coin underneath, is the best part of this all,” Jinki’s smile was brighter this time, Jonghyun thinks that the fairy before him is thinking of all the memories he had with children. He wonders if Jinki would watch him wake up in the morning to check what’s underneath his pillow, if ever he did not wake up from slumber, just to catch his smile.

“You’re a pretty cool fairy, Jinki.” Jonghyun smiled, “I salute to you.”

“T-thank you,” Jinki showed a tinge of pink on his cheeks, “I’ve never talked to human beings before. And I’m glad I met you, for my first time.” They exchanged long smiles before Jinki flew up from where he stood on Jonghyun’s bed, saying that he best be going.

“Can you do me a favor, Jonghyun? Can you hand Taemin his tooth back so I can place his coin on his bed next time?” Jinki hovered right where Jonghyun could see him face to face, and at a closer distance.

“As long as I get to see you again,” Jonghyun winked, the blush on Jinki’s face was definitely the best part.

“I’m only a tooth away, you know,” Jinki grinned toothily.

“Well aren’t you just mean?” Jonghyun’s eyebrows furrowed, “If you say it like that, I might lose all my teeth, and I’m holding you liable for the expense of my denture,” Jonghyun clicked his tongue and pointed his finger at Jinki.

“Please come by again tomorrow, or this weekend? I’ll bring sweets next time,” Jonghyun offered, pulling one of his best pouts.

“Uhm,” Jinki scratched the side of his cheek lightly with his finger, hesitation showing on his expression. He floated around Jonghyun’s head to ponder on it, stopping in front of him again to look at the other in the eyes.

“Friday, but no sweets. Tooth aches are awful, Jonghyun.” Jinki beamed, and the other can’t help but poke him again on the cheek. “Yah, stop doing that.” Jinki said, rubbing his cheek adorably.

“I’ll work on my menu,” Jonghyun smiled, “Don’t forget to come by or you know what will happen,” He said, guilt tripping the other who is now hovering by his window.

“See you, Jonghyun! Don’t forget to floss!” And with one final wave, Jinki left his room as he glowed and fluttered his beautiful wings.

Jonghyun smiled, pinching himself just to make sure he’s not really dreaming, before he went back to sleep. He will have to bribe his cousin in exchange for his tooth, just in case the fairy didn’t show up.

Yep. Sounds like a good plan.