Leave in Silence

Love in Silence [Oneshot]

 

They never spoke to each other. The many times they've been together, they've only stole glances at the other, and just from that, they seem to get closer and closer.

 

On rare occasions, Key would come crying from a bad day in school, and Jonghyun would find himself putting an arm around the boy to lend his shoulder for the latter to cry on.

 

On other occasions, Jonghyun would be laying there, with sad expressions in his eyes. Key would notice them immediately, and then find himself lightly interwining their fingers together, to give Jonghyun the comfort he needed.

 

And some days, both would arrive tired from school and work, and they would fall asleep, next and close to each other, for good measure. They would both find themselves dreaming the most wonderful dreams.

 

Then one rare time, Jonghyun was the one that came crying, and Kibum was surprised. The usually strong guy was bawling, and Key wrapped his arms around the crying boy, in silence. Jonghyun spoke his first words to him, "She broke up with me" in between sobs, and Key would just gently pat the other's back, in silence.

 

And because it was Kibum comforting him, Jonghyun suddenly found himself able to stand up again, and everything was back to normal. The two went back to their usual routine, as if nothing had happened.

 

And then one day, Key found himself alone. On the tree that shaded them, he found the words "I'm leaving for Seoul.    -J" carved into the tree. Kibum felt his whole world tumbling down.

 

Jonghyun showed up the next day, with sad, regretful eyes. Kibum was already there, lying down, not facing the guy, not even looking up upon his arrival.

 

"Are you going to be okay?" It was the second time Jonghyun spoke.

 

No. I won't. Who's going to take your place? I'll be alone again. No. I'm not going to be okay. That was what Kibum wanted to say. But he couldn't bring himself to do that. It would be selfish. He knew Jonghyun had wanted to become a singer. They never talked, but sometimes, Jonghyun would sing a song for him.

 

"Yeah." was what he really said.

 

It was silent again. Jonghyun looked over at the other. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

 

Silence. The day went on being silent, like how it usually was.


Jonghyun went to the space in the park for one last time. Key was there, with no expression on his face.

 

When Jonghyun arrived, Key turned to look at him. Jonghyun saw his face immediately fill up with sadness and his eyes were beginning to tear. He looked as if he wanted to say something.

 

"So. I guess, it's bye?" Jonghyun said, sadly.

 

"No."

 

Jonghyun looked at Kibum with questioning eyes.

 

"We never said hi. There's no need for goodbye," Kibum explained. Jonghyun smiled again. "I guess."

 

"I guess, it's time for me to leave then."

 

"Yeah..."

 

Jonghyun stood there, with Key looking up at him. After a moment, Jonghyun turned reluctantly to leave.

 

"Wait!"

 

Jonghyun stopped, and turned around. Kibum had stood up, and he still had the look as if he wanted to say something.

 

"I...I...." He began. Jonghyun cocked his head to one side, waiting for the rest. I love you, Kibum wanted to say. He couldn't make out the words.

 

Jonghyun just smiled, and he at once knew what Kibum wanted to say. Jonghyun walked up to the boy and before Kibum knew what was happening, Jonghyun had his lips pressed against his.

 

When the pulled away, they looked at each other. Jonghyun smiled again, and gripped onto Kibum's hand. He gave it a final squeeze, and let go.

 

And then he walked away, with tears b in his eyes, and there was again, only one piece of the puzzle left stranded in the park. Kibum looked at the retreating figure, and felt the hot tears rolling down his cheeks once Jonghyun was out of sight.

They had met in silence, loved in silence, and departed in silence.