The One That Got Away

FirstAnothersujufan Songfic Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: The One That Got Away

Pairing: Haehyuk

Genre: Angst

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Of what was not meant to be.

 

The One That Got Away- Original Singer: Katy Perry

 

“In another life,

I would be your girl,

We keep all our promises, be us against the world,

In another life,

I would make you stay,

So I don’t have to say you were the one that got away.”

 

**********

 

Pink.

 

The color of the wedding invitation card in front of him does not for a slight moment reflect the color of his feeling.

 

Hyukjae tossed the invitation aside and rolled on his bed till he was resting on his side.

 

Ten years had not done him any good. He never forgot a single bit.

 

He had merely just patched it over and pretended he didn’t see.

 

**********

 

“Hi,” a wide-eyed brunette greeted the pouty-nosed blonde who was sitting alone in the prom dance hall.

 

“Hi to you too,” the blond replied.

 

“Alone?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I don’t like girls.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“What?”

 

“I said, me too,” the brunette smiled.

 

The blonde slowly smiled and took another sip of his punch, slowly understanding what he meant.

 

“I’m Donghae. You?” the brunette asked.

 

“I’m Hyukjae.”

 

**********

 

“Donghae oppa,” the girl pouted as she stole a glance at the man beside her.

 

“Oh, yes, what?”

 

“You’re looking at your phone and spacing out,” she said.

 

“I’m sorry,” the man replied with a smile and deleted the message which said ‘I’ll be coming’ before putting the phone aside.

 

It was no use.

 

Ten years had not done him any good. He never forgot a single bit.

 

He had merely just patched it over and pretended he didn’t see.

 

**********

 

“When I grow up, I’m going to be an architect! I’m going to build a castle made of glass for my most beloved person in the world!” the brunette dictated as the both of them youngsters watched the stars on the rooftop.

 

“And who might that lucky person be?” the blonde asked.

 

“You, of course,” the brunette smiled.

 

“Cheesy,” the blonde snorted.

 

“What do you want to do in the future then?” the brunette asked in return.

 

“I want… to be with you forever,” the blonde grinned.

 

“Isn’t that even more cheesy?” laughed the brunette.

 

The blonde pouted.

 

“But I want to do the same too,” the brunette added and the blonde’s pout lessened but it didn’t go away.

 

“But can we really?” he asked, a bit unsurely.

 

“We can, Hyukjae, I promise.”

 

**********

 

“Seems like it’s been forever since we last met,” a crinkled eyed man stated, “Isn’t it right, Donghae?” he nudged the bridegroom.

 

“Huh? Oh yeah,” the man in a full white suit smiled.

 

“Where’s your other half?” another one of their group of friends asked.

 

“My wife? She’s over there with her parents…” Donghae started.

 

“No, no, you forgot our old inside joke? I meant Hyukjae, where is he?” the friend corrected.

 

Donghae was stumped for a while. “He said he will be coming but I’m not really sure…” he replied awkwardly.

 

“But you guys used to be so close! How could you not know?” another one of their friend scolded.

 

“Donghae is a very bad friend! Boo!” the others chimed in.

 

“What’s going on here?” the voice of a very familiar man sounded a little further away and they all turned to see a familiar face.

 

When Donghae’s eyes met Hyukjae’s for the first time in ten years, his heart skipped a beat.

 

Really, nothing much really changed.

 

Except, Donghae was now married and Hyukjae, he had a cute girl clinging onto his arm.

 

**********

 

“Let’s break up, Donghae,” the blonde stated one day after a body covered in bruises and a face streaked with dried up tears.

 

“Why?” the brunette asked, panting as he had snuck out in the middle of the night climbing down a tree in his backyard just to run and see if his lover was alright.

 

“Can’t you see? Nobody thinks that this is correct in the first place. It’s all wrong,” the blonde whispered, his voice low, to the boy outside his window.

 

“They will learn to accept us,” Donghae, also covered in bruises after being heavily beaten by his father, tried to argue.

 

“No, you and I both know they won’t. The whole society wouldn’t,” Hyukjae shook his head.

 

“What about our promise? You promised that we would always be together,” Donghae whispered weakly.

 

“That was a childish promise made when we were half drunk,” Hyukjae stated.

 

“I know you’re not that cruel. Hyukjae, you love me, I know you do,” the brunette whispered.

 

“I do love you, very much. And that is why I realized that the more I love you, the more I shouldn’t be with you. Donghae, you have a bright future ahead of you, I don’t want to ruin you,” Hyukjae tried t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter