If Only I Was Brave Enough...

If Only I Was Brave Enough...

 

"Jangmi,what should I buy for her?" He let out a deep sigh and rested his head on my kitchen countertop.
My hands froze as I stared at the apple I was cutting.Something inside me died a little.Luckily, my back was facing him.
I continued cutting the apple and forced myself to suggest things.Who else can he rely on if not for me,his best friend?
 
"If I were her,I'd be happy if you just spend time alone with me on my birthday and...you could rent some movies..."
I imagined both of us cuddling on the sofa,watching some romantic comedy while the rain pour outside.Suddenly,he
 came near me and snatched a piece of bite-sized apple and ate it noisily.
 
"You know," Jay spoke with his mouth full. " she's not like you.She's a little materialistic."He popped in another 
apple into his mouth."I would love to do that too,I mean cuddling on the sofa,while it rains outside..."His voice trails.
A smile crept on my face.We share the same view on things.That was why I thought we had a lot in common.I gulped
hard and turned to him.
 
"Can I ask you something?"I bit my lower lip,nervous.I could not look at him in the eyes.
 
"You're already asking me."He flashed a grin."What?"
 
I know his answer was going to hurt me but I was dying to know why he liked her that much.
I summoned all my courage and fixed my gaze on his."What...do you like about Krystal?"
 
His eyes shone brighter when he heard her name.The name that I hate.
 
"Honestly?"His eyebrow furrowed.
 
I nodded slowly."Yeah..."
 
"Hmm,I love her smile.Her smile makes all my worries disappear.She knows how to get the conversation going and she's really bubbly.Then there's her hair that always smell like fresh apples and cinammon." His eyes looked distant as if reminiscing the good days spent with her.I was screaming inwardly.I wanted him to stop,but at the same time,I wanted him to continue.I wanted to know what was it that made me inferior to her."Her body?God,it's like perfectly carved.She makes me happy."
 
"Aren't you superficial?"My voice wavered.I was surprised by my own reply.He shifted his gaze to me,his eyes widened with surprise.
 
"Pardon?"
 
You once told me that I had the best smile.So now it's somebody else?We can talk about anything and everything under the sun.I also know how to keep the conversation going and I also know how to listen.Yes,she does not bore you but does she ever listen to you?Listen to your worries and rants?Does she even give you the chance to?Her hair smells like fresh apples and cinammon?I don't know how my hair smells like but cinammons and I don't want my hair to smell like that.So what if she has the perfect body?I do have a little tummy and my arms and thighs are not as toned as hers but does it matter?How is it  that she makes you happy when all you do is to complain about her to me?
 
"Nothing."I faked a smile and clenched my jaw in frustration.If only I was brave enough...