One.

a game for fools

Think of it as a game. The two of them against the rest of the world.

Fools. The world. A little act of romance, a coy smile and perhaps a little bit of hand-holding is enough to send the world into a dreamy wonderland and spark their imagination of what maybe. The world thinks they are in love.

Truth is, everytime they shoot the show, its nothing but pretence. He flirts, she flirts and a little push and pull and that’s a wrap. And when the lights go off, they return to their normal lives. Him to being the doe-eyed beastly idol and her to the head-turning flexible performer.

Its funny; the game. How they manage to deceive the thousands out there. Really. Friends congratulate, family members shocked and fans wishing and wishing that they are dating for real. Behind the facade, they are just actors in their own story.

He scoots up behind her, closing the gap between them. She feels his warmth radiating as he presses himself lightly against her. ‘So what’s cooking?’ he asks. She answers him in a sugar-coated tone, sweet and shy. The air of romance lingers as they look into the souls of the other. They feel a tingle, like an electric wave. And a loud ‘Cut!’ sharply slices the space between them as they pull away and breathe deeply.

In front of the TV, thousands of viewers watch the pair dance around each other and share their sweet moments. She leans on his shoulder; he puts his arm around her. Perhaps some are a little jealous, but mostly they anticipate, anticipate a little more teasing or a further exchange of skinship. But their minds, they give themselves a pat on the back for superb acting that fooled the world into thinking of them as a loving pair. Fools.

But perhaps they forget how they are fools themselves. The look of sincerity in his eyes as he creates another event for her is not something that one can achieve with pretence. The jealousy she experiences is perhaps an involuntary emotion to seeing a close someone with another girl.

At times, she sees a spark in his eye that promises a relationship of love and care. Back home, she remembers of the sweet nothings he whispers as she caresses the spot on the arm where he last left his touch. Silently, she asks herself if she is confused and thinks about it for a while and then gives up.

Sometimes, he feels a tight squeeze on his chest and a heart about to explode when she tells him she loves him. In bed, he secretly relishes every moment they hug. The feeling of her chest against his, the warmth of her body and the smell of her hair. He falls asleep, dreaming… naughty dreams that the world wouldn’t expect from a gentleman like him.

Fools? Maybe. When a certain fan picks out their secret moments and sub-concious acts of love, they search their hearts for an answer. Ah. they must have let their guard down. Perhaps the real truth lies behind their veil of deception. Two hearts that long for the other but in constant denial. A fear yet a longing.