The Boy with a Guitar and a Song

The Song at Noon

Every time Jonghyun talked to Jinki the song would play. He had never heard the song before Jinki walked by, had never seen Jinki until that one day he was late for class.

Jonghyun had run into him as he tried to run across campus to his music composition class, Jonghyun could remember it as if it were yesterday.

“Whoa! Slow down.” he chuckled, while flashing Jonghyun a gorgeous smile.

“Sorry, I’m really late” Jonghyun apoligized rushed, almost breathless as he looked into his eyes.

Just with that small exchange Jonghyun could notice something different. Jinki had a guitar on his back and looked tired, almost pale. Jonghyun decided, since he was already late, why not stop and talk.

Soon he found herself waiting for Jinki.

Always at noon, he would be there at noon, their song playing in the wind. He would only stay for half an hour. He would always look the same, with the same guitar on his back, but never did Jonghyun question him.

 

 

After months, seeing him every day, Jonghyun tells Jinki the next day he can’t be there at noon. Jinki doesn’t seem upset or affected at all.

While at the doctor Jonghyun happens to glance up at the board of missing people. Jinki's face is all he can see, with a missing sign dating back to 5 years ago.

 

 

That night Jonghyun goes back to their spot, the time is 11:23, calling to Jinki.

Jinki can only see him but Jonghyun can’t see Jinki. Jinki wants to tell him that he’s there, soothe his worry, but can’t.

 

 

The next day Jonghyun met Jinki again, the noon sun high in the sky. It was only a minute after noon and Jinki was waiting for him.

This time Jonghyun looked at him with sorrow in his eyes, not wanting to mention the accident he had found online just the night before.

One dead in a crash on the highway at noon, the date, 5 years ago to the day they met.

Jinki can tell he is hiding something, but he doesn’t push, doesn’t pry, because he fears the worst, he thinks he knows.

Without an exchange of words he hugs Jinki, and cries. There is nothing he can do for Jinki, only meet him at noon, every day until he is to join him.

 

 

Jonghyun never left the town, keeping to himself and meeting him every day. Many years later he is now 90, with Alzheimer disease, and can only remember him, and their meetings at noon.

Today is the 75th anniversary of Jinki's death.

That day Jonghyun is only 5 minutes after noon, weak and feeling himself slip away from reality.

As he lies in Jinki's arms, he slowly closes her eyes, falling into a forever unconscious state.

When he opens his eyes again he can hear their song again, the one from when they first met. He sees himself as 20 years old again, with Jinki, talking in their spot, but this time they have forever to talk, not just half an hour each day.