Unconditional Love

The Past and The Present

 

HIS POV:

 

She's like that again. The cold and gloomy face, the lame posture and the sad aura she's giving made the house a place where no happiness, bliss nor love can be found. The same house which was filled with happy memories she had with.. him.

flashback #1:

"Yah! Im Yoon Ah, come back here!"

A brown-skinned guy said as he chased his fiancée. The young lady, named Im Yoon Ah, ran around the garden playfully as her fiancé chased her around.

"Look at the well-known Kim Jong In chasing his petite fiancee around.", Yoona teased as she stop and looked at her panting fiance. "That's what you get for being a lazy bum. I told you so many times to exercise.", she scolded playfully.

Kai, Jong In's nickname, smiled at his childish fiancee. How can he not fall in love with this beautiful lady in front of him? She completes him. She's everything he'd ask for. She's more than enough for him to stay alive. He smirked. Yes, he better stay alive. He thought bitterly. For her, he'll stay alive.

flashback #2:

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?", Yoona asked weakly as soon as she came close to the lying young man in front of her.

Kai smiled weakly. "I don't want to be a burden to you.", he explained.

Yoona sat beside him and held his right hand tightly. "You will never be a burden to me, Kai. I love you and I won't get tired taking care of you.", she said as tears starts to fall from her eyes.

Kai wiped Yoona's tears with his free hand and smiled. "I love you. I love you so much and it hurts to know that I'll be leaving you soon.", he said.

Yoona's tears fall again and this time it's uncontrollable. He can't live her. He's her life, the love of her life, her Kai. "No, d-don't leave me. S-stay with me, Kai.", she begged. She knows that she can't do anything about his illness but she can't face the truth. She can't live without him.

Kai kissed Yoona's right hand and caressed it softly. "I won't leave you. I'm going to be with you. My presence will be with you forever, there, in your heart.", he assured. "Promise me that you'll love again, Yoona. Promise me.", he asked as if begging to her.

She can't promise that. She doesn't even know how she will be able to move on. But she did, she promised. "I will.", she said and with that Kai closed his eyes. I love you, Kai. I love you so much. She whispered and cried her heart out.

 

It's been 3 years since Kai died and for the past years Yoona did nothing but to mourn for her fiancé. He tried to help her on moving on, on forgetting her past love but she isn't cooperating. Yes, she'll smile when he's there but he knows that she's just smiling to assure him that she's okay but deep inside she's not. He can still remember that day when he first saw her at the park. She's crying and she ignores every stare each passing people give her but he's not like them. He didn't just passed by her but he comforted her.

 

flashback # 3:

It's been a very tough day for him. He's been trying his very best to meet his father's expectations but for his father everything he does is just useless, worthless.

He thought that today is just another boring and tiring day but it's not. He saw a lady, maybe the same age as him, crying as she is seated on a bench. He notices how people gave the lady a confused look. He went closer to the lady as he was beginning to get curious.

He stops when he's only few inches from the lady. He cleared his throat for her to notice his presence but he failed for it seems that the lady didn't hear him. He, again, cleared his throat a little bit louder from the first one. He smiled softly when the lady moved and turned to look at him. He was a bit off-guard when he saw the face of the lady. Her eyes are swollen red and puffy but that doesn't hide the fact that she's gorgeous, really gorgeous.

He gulped and handed the lady his handkerchief. The lady looked at him with confusion but still took his handkerchief. He sat beside her as she wiped her tears. "I'm sorry." He heard her mumbled. He stared at her with a confused look. "W-why?", he asked.

"For disturbing you. You must be going somewhere and stops because of me.", she said as she sniffed softly.

He can't help but smiled at her remark. "Don't worry. You didn't disturb. I did it on my own free will.", he assured her.

The lady looked at him and smiled weakly. "Thank you.", she said.

And at that moment, he knew already that she's the girl he'll love forever, the girl whom he'll devote his whole life to. He won't get tired making her smile. He'll do anything just to make her smile.

 

He never thought that it will be this hard to make her forget her past love. He thought that he needs to give up and he's already tired but every time she does little things for him he can't help but fall deeper for her.

It must be hard for her to marry another man when she still hasn’t fully recovered from her first love. Yes, they're getting married but seeing her like this most of the time made him doubt. He doesn't want to force her. He's willing to wait even if it takes forever.

****

HER POV:

 

flashback #4:

He led her to an unfamiliar place. She's blindfolded but it didn't scare her. She knows that he won't let her trip or fall. He's always been like that to her, so gentle and caring. She thought that she doesn't deserve someone like him. He deserves more than her, someone who will truly love him. But whenever she tells him that he'll just shrugged it off and tell her that she's the only one he needed. That she's the only he loves.

She felt him took off the blindfolds. He told her to slowly open her eyes and she did as what she was instructed to do. She was surprised to see the place. It was the same park where they first meet and it was filled with candles and rose petals. "H-how-"

"Im Yoon Ah.", he called as he kneel with one foot in front of her and held her hands. "Will you marry me?", he asked as he gives her a smiled.

She can't speak. I was as if the world suddenly stops. She doesn't know what to answer him. He knows that she still haven't moved on she always tells him that but he still did this despite of that fact. She knows that she'll just hurt him if she marries him even though Kai still holds a big part of her heart. But she knows that she'll hurt him more if she rejects him. He’s just too kind and she can't hurt him. With that thought, she smiled and nod. She saw him stood up and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I love you.", she heard him say and she can feel that he's smiling. I will love you. I will try. I promise. She thought and hugged him back.

 

She can feel his presence. She knows that he's been watching her ever since she got to the garden. She wants to rush to his side and hug him tight but she feels weak. Her memories with Kai had been playing in her mind. Every night those memories would haunt her and she can't hide the fact that she still loves him. But she knows that she should stop doing so. She needs to move on from the past. In just a few weeks she'll be marrying someone who truly loves her despite her bitter past. She'll marry someone who always do his best just to make her smile, someone she knows would never leave her.

She never thought that she'll eventually start to grow some feelings for him. Who wouldn't love someone who shows how much he cares for you, who's willing to wait for you to love him back? She loves him. She knows it and it's not a lie. She has been thinking of it these past few days and now she knows that she's willing to forget Kai. She's willing to start a new life with him, with her new love.

 

****

 

He saw her stood up and he was a caught off-guard when she turns around and walks toward his direction. As she's coming closer he can clearly see her smiles at him. She stops when they're few centimeters away and held both his hands.

"You're watching me again, aren't you?", she asked as she caress his hands.

He smiles. He's glad that she's giving him that genuine smile again. It's rare to see her smile like that, that's why he does everything just to see her smile like that.

"It became a habit, I guess.", he said, unsure of his answer.

Then, she hugged him. His eyes widened as she hug him. He thought that he's just dreaming but when she tightened her hug he knows that he's in reality and he loves reality, that's for sure. "I love you, Kim Myung Soo. I love you.", she said which almost gave him a heart attack. He was frozen at first and she releases him from her embrace and gave him a confused look.

"Are you alright?", she asked him but no response. "Kim Myung Soo.", she called again but still no response from him. She smiled when an idea struck her. She closed her eyes and leaned forward and their lips met. She kissed him softly.

Myungsoo's widened eyes widen more, if that's even possible. He doesn't know what's happening but he feels like he's in heaven.

Yoona was about to move away when Myungsoo held her tight and kissed her, more passionate than before. She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. They stopped for the need of air. Myungsoo rests his forehead on hers and smiled at her. "I love you, too and I don't have any doubt about that, Yoona.", he assured her.

Myungsoo hugs her and kissed the top of her head. He's contented now. He doesn't need to try hard to be good for his father to be proud of him. He just needs Yoona and only her to be happy. He's happy because Im Yoon Ah is worth the wait. He'll treasure her forever and won't leave her.

 I will love her forever. I will love her more than Kai did.

 

~End~