Chapter One

The Memory Of A Butterfly

Chapter One: Meet The Best Friends

“Ergh… why did they even create school?” Nicole grumbles under her breath. She's climbing the stairs and is on the way to her class. Suddenly, she hears someone call her name.

“Nicole! Wait up!” shouts Hara, Nicole's best friend. They knew each other since they were in preschool, but only became best friends recently. They met each other through their parents because their parents are best friends.

“Oh, hey Hara.” Nicole says monotonously, “How's it going?”  

“Great…” Hara replies as soon as she falls into step with Nicole. “Are you going to the party later?”

Nicole looks at her blankly and asks, “What party?”

“Oh my God! NICOLE! How could you forget about Ji Young's birthday party?” Hara screams, with a mix of shock and anger in her voice.

Finally, Nicole snaps out of her reverie and quickly replies, "Of course! Ji Young's birthday party. How could I forget about that? Aish, stupid Nicole!", she scolded herself as she punched the side of her head softly. Ji Young is Hara's younger sister.

“Sorry, I forgot about that.” Nicole apologizes to Hara.

While they were busy talking, Seungyeon appears. 

“Hey 'Cole, Hara!” Seungyeon greets Nicole and Hara. Seungyeon is Nicole's second best friend. Despite that, she is more like an unnie to both Nicole and Hara. Nicole also knows her since they were little.

“What are the both of you talking about?” Seungyeon asks Hara.

“Seungyeon, you are going to Ji Young's birthday party right?” Hara asks sweetly.

“Of course!” Seungyeon exclaims as she suddenly becomes excited, “We should go shopping for new dresses for the party tonight. I heard that there a lot of hot guys going to the birthday party.”

“Oh! I forget to tell you all something.” Hara says. She stops and her face brightens in delight.

“SHINee will perform tonight at Ji Young's birthday party!”

Suddenly, not a single noise is heard around them. Then, a scream resounded, “AHH!", goes Hara and Seungyeon.

“Are you serious?” Seungyeon asks Hara in pure excitement.

“Of course!” Hara replies as she nods her head happily.

Nicole looks at them in disbelief and walks away, leaving Seungyeon and Hara behind.

As Nicole walks into the classroom, the school bell rings. She quickly goes to her seat and promptly sits down. The door opens and in walks Miss Sia, their History teacher. Nicole examines Miss Sia's face and realises that her teacher did not look all too happy.

'Wah… Hara and Seung Yeon are going to be dead. Miss Sia is totally in a bad mood today,' she thinks to herself, fearing the outcome of her two best friends.

A few minutes later, the classroom door opens and in comes Hara and Seungyeon.

“Miss Sia, we are sorry for being late.” Hara apologizes. “Yes Miss Sia. There was a little problem when we were on the way to class,” Seung Yeon says, hoping that Miss Sia would believe their excuse. Unfortunately, the History teacher did not.

“You two will have to stay after school for detention!” Miss Sia says to them angrily. Hara and Seung Yeon are crestfallen, but they quickly go to their seats so as to not anger their teacher even more. Hara promptly sits down next to Nicole.

When Miss Sia began writing notes on the whiteboard, Hara quickly passes Nicole a note. Nicole reads the note and replies just as quickly.

(The notes):
Hara: “Yah! Why did you leave us just now?!”
Nicole: “B’coz the both of you are too slow and noisy! :P”

When Hara was busy writing down another note, Miss Sia turns around and notices that Hara is not paying attention.

“Miss Goo, do you mind sharing your problem with the class?” Miss Sia asks Hara.

Hara looks down in embarrassment and shakes her head 'no'.

“Then, if you do not want any detention you better pay attention!” Miss Sia scolds her.

“Yes Miss Sia,” Hara replies.

With a firm nod of approval, Miss Sia turns back to the whiteboard and continues writing. Out of the corner of her eye, Nicole laughs quietly to herself as she notices that Hara is pouting at her before miming stabbing Miss Sia.

After the last bell rings, Nicole wishes Seungyeon and Hara 'good luck' before rushing to the school exit.

In her rush to the school exit, she accidentally bumps into another person. Losing her balance, Nicole falls down on the floor.
"Ouch," she says as she rubs her head in pain.

As she rubs her head, she hears a voice above her.

"Damn it! Look where you're going!", the voice says angrily.

"YAH! Apologise!"