i / i

Senpai Noticed Me

 

 

 

 

The only reason why jongin frequents the coffee shop by the corner of the main street is because he’s sailing on two ships. Now this might seem confusing, but it isn’t.

 

 

Kim jongin ships KrAy—that means EXO M’s kris and lay for all of you living under a rock. His friends baekyeol and chanyeol ships them too, so jongin doesn’t think rooting for two chinese men to bang up and have babies is that weird. After all, any self-respecting teen living in the twenty-first century would confess to having a mother ship. It’s sort of the trend right now, like iPhones and Galaxy Notes, blogging and fanfictions, teen pregnancy and divorce and—you get his drift.

 

 

The second reason why jongin hauls his drowsy every seven a.m. (without fail) to this little vintage-themed cafe is because he ships KaiSoo—that means him and kyungsoo, the ever-majestic fanfiction writer he has a crush on ever since jongin first read one of kyungsoo’s work at this writing community. After two hours’ worth of stalking—a few clicks and scrolls here and there—jongin discovers that kyungsoo has a habit of stopping by every morning in this cafe before getting on with his life.

 

 

“Come on, just because his writing is amazing and he sounds cool doesn’t mean that he looks cool. For all we know, this kyungsoo might turn out to be a midget, or a shrek-look-alike,” chanyeol had put in his two cents during one of jongin’s ‘let’s fanboy over do kyungsoo’ moments. Jongin would have pointed out that shrek is an ogre and an ogre isn’t a midget, but he figures that it isn’t worth his saliva to try to drill sense into chanyeol’s half-baked brain. If jongin didn’t need chanyeol’s monthly rent for the apartment they’re sharing, then he would jubilantly have kicked chanyeol’s prying and noisy down the old stairwell of the building.

 

 

Come to think of it, jongin would voluntarily lock himself in jail if it meant never having to see, or smell, or listen to park-ing-chanyeol ever again. He once did—last summer and can jongin just tell you how unholy their toilet seats are?

 

 

“What part of that perfection is shrek-like to you?” jongin had made sure to shove his iPad up chanyeol’s face once he discovered that kyungsoo’s tumblr has a ‘/tagged/me’. It goes without saying that jongin spent thirty minutes downloading each and every picture of kyungsoo to his iPad, mobile phone, laptop, and an external hardrive (you never know what might happen). But he liked those pictures, of course, and then proceeding to go on anonymous to tell kyungsoo ‘you’re so cute! Not to mention that you seem really nice and friendly and can you marry me plz’. To which kyungsoo had replied a modest thank you with a wink, a wink that pushed jongin out of his bed because he can’t contain the amount of feels radiating through the screen, reaching out to his heart.

 

 

 

Moving back to the present, jongin flicks his plastic toy watch to reveal the time. Two more minutes before kyungsoo would grace the dingy walls of the shop with his sparkling brown eyes and raven hair and porcelain skin and such heavenly features that makes jongin want to take up ‘english’ as his major next year because that way, he’ll have enough knowledge on how to mold kyungsoo’s perfection into words. Heck, he might even write a novel dedicated to kyungsoo’s eyebrows.

 

 

 

Door chimes starts moving to create a pleasant sound; one that announces the arrival of a new customer. Except that this one isn’t new to jongin and he’ll never get used to kyungsoo’s modest entrance. Don’t even ask jongin why he describes it as ‘modest’, he just thinks kyungsoo has a quiet aura surrounding him.

 

 

jongin hides behind some sort of house plant as his gaze follow kyungsoo. Kyungsoo grins and walks and places his order. jongin notices that beige is a good color on kyungsoo, it emphasizes those dark eyes and hair while toning his ivory flesh. Okay, so maybe jongin could also take up fashion designing as a course, too. In order to create a clothing line for kyungsoo—with the clothes’ shades ranging from apricot to mocha to mud-brown to you-can-remove-any-piece-of-fabric-off-now.

 

 

Four unoccupied wooden tables and a few antique figurines separate jongin from kyungsoo, but he thinks it’s fine because he could still have a whiff of kyungsoo’s out-of-this-world scent. Jongin identifies ocean breeze, dandelions, fried oil, and expensive cologne. A weird combination, yes. But it’s kyungsoo’s so jongin can’t see why he can’t enjoy it to the last air molecule.

 

 

Kyungsoo receives his order and jongin’s heart clenches like a used-up tissue paper when the waiter’s hand accidentally brushes kyungsoo’s arm when he puts the cup down. jongin swears that the waiter did it on purpose, but who could blame him? Everyone was at mercy of kyungsoo’s awesomeness.

 

 

They go on like that, just as they’ve been doing for three months; jongin stealing glances, kyungsoo sipping his coffee oh-so-adorably while reading something on his phone, and kim joonmyun—the owner shaking his head by the counter because he can’t believe that two idiots are always in this cafe during this particular time, but never conversing. Had joonmyun not been in his early thirties, he’d have banged their heads together until their screws are in the right place.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s kaisoo and not some astic name like ‘kyungin’, or ‘jongsoo’ because ‘kai’ is jongin’s hotter, ier, better, and overall delicious counterpart, and he thinks that it’s what kyungsoo deserves.

 

 

Kai emerges when jongin puts on his vans 106, sweatpants, and signature plain t-shirt with some characters on them. Kai is often surrounded by adoring eyes or cold, clear mirrors reflecting his limbs as they pop, lock, drop, step, and all that shindig along with the music. Kai isn’t drowning from a flood of overflowing feels because that’s jongin’s job, and the only expression that kai has is either ‘take me to bed’ or ‘go holla’. Dumbing it down, kai is the coat of hotness that’s hiding a lovestruck jongin underneath all that glistening flesh.

 

 

“All right! Good job today, guys! Just a few more days before the competition!” Their dance teacher, eunhyuk claps his hands together, indicating that it’s time for them to clear out or else they’ll be banned in the studio for a week. Hyoyeon, Kai’s groupmate, explains that it’s because donghae needs some one-on-one time with their instructor. Probably because he’s such a klutz. Taemin rolls his eyes and tells hyo that eunhyuk is doing donghae and they have some sort of with mirrors, which is why no one dares touch them. Kai leaves the both of them blabbering as he fishes for his phone and checks for kyungsoo’s profile.

 

 

When a ‘story update!’ pops up and he finds that it’s from kyungsoo, jongin could have kissed every inch of the dance studio’s mirrors and not get grossed out.

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s username in every writing community he has ever been a part of is ‘tablowme’. He likes tablo and the rest is pretty much self-explanatory.

 

 

He can’t recall what got him writing fanfics in the first place. All he can remember is that his nose has been buried in between book pages after book pages ever since he was a small kid, and as times change and his body parts mature, he finds his face stuck in between albums and photobooks, magazines and fat encyclopedias that he later refers to when writing. It starts out as small and harmless, the way most things go. But as he feeds his fascination in the music industry by befriending other fans and skimming through blogs and fanfictions, kyungsoo wakes up one day to find out he’s dug a pretty deep grave for himself and he can’t find the strength to rise from it.

 

 

So he makes the most of out of the situation and fulfills his fantasies with reblogging pretty edits and learning the hard ways of fanfiction. Kyungsoo writes and writes, puking up words through his fingertips. He’s always been this huge daydreamer, you see, so twisting his brain cells to adjust to literature was pretty much easy-peasy. Somehow, it wasn’t just him who thought he was a genius. Comments after comments after subscriptions and recommendations kept coming his way, and kyungsoo recognizes a blessing when he sees one.

 

 

So he writes from dawn to dusk, until his eyes turn bloodshot and he came to the point when he can’t remember the last time when he didn’t write. Passionate and about the singers kris and lay, kyungsoo aka ‘tablowme’ uses his free time to write. Stretching his arms overhead, kyungsoo takes a deep breath before clicking the ‘post to journal’ and ‘update chapter’ button. Two accounts are for bosses, you see. He gets up from his bed, goes to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee while telling himself to calm down because the comments will somehow come, and besides, there’s just one user that he can’t wait to get feedback from.

 

 

It takes at least ten minutes for a new notification to come, and kyungsoo’s veins surges with a feeling of satisfaction and contentment when he reads his secretly-favorite fan’s comment.

 

 

 

onetaothree: this just blew my mind (pun intended). Why did you let Lay lie to Kris? Do you srsly want to kill me with angst, author-nim? This is amazing, like always. Aklhfdjshafk I can never stop shipping kray bc of you. I’m sending you the bills of my check up because diabetes. I swear kris and lay were born for each other and I’m glad that you can see that too. Looking forward to more! Thank you for your hard work! God bless you ;)

 

 

tablowme: thank you so much for reading! And god bless you too, my child.

 

 

Onetaothree: you’re welcome ;)

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung, can I ask you something?” jongin looks up from his phone with his dark eyebrows knitted together,a comical expression on his face. “What if the person you like called you ‘my child’? What does it mean?”

 

 

“It means,” his friend breaks away from chanyeol’s possesive grip. Jongin resumes to his phone but listens to baekhyun as he says, “that you’ve just been offspring-zoned, duh.”

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo loathes going out of his house. The only time he does that is when he needs his morning coffee, or when he’s going to school. But since it’s their summer vacation, kyungsoo can’t see why he should be forced to go out in this brilliant, dazzling, ethereal summer afternoon with the birds chirping in trees b with young and fresh leaves. It’s obviously the perfect day to stay in.

 

 

“Pretty please with a cherry on top?” Sehun asks, gripping kyungsoo’s thighs with his sharp fingernails; kyungsoo likes to think that sehun’s fingernails are actually bullets drilling holes into his flesh, but maybe that’s just his imagination going wild. “You need to accompany me here! It’s just a dance competition, it won’t hurt or kill you, I promise.”

 

 

“Why don’t you go alone? I’m your cousin, not babysitter.” Kyungsoo moves his legs until sehun’s filthy hands are off him. Goodness knows what sort of things he’s touched.

 

 

“Because there’s this hot dancer named Kai and oh my gosh! He’s just pure and I can’t go alone. If you come with me, I’ll buy you one of those albums that you want,” sehun is just that desperate.

 

 

“Any album?”

 

 

“Any.” Sehun confirms, watching kyungsoo’s will waver in his eyes.

 

 

“Call,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s cramped and hot, a not-so-large hall spewing with sweaty and excited bodies rubbing against each other in the dim light. Kyungsoo is being pushed here and there like a rag doll, each shove reminding him why he never should have agreed in the first place. This is what the real world does to you and it’s not pretty. He stares at the group dancing before him with their sequined shirts and sparkling pants and all kyungsoo could conjure are thoughts of home and warm coffees and thick blankets. He should have been in his room now, typing away on his laptop or spazzing with some of his online friends who understands what it’s like to not go out. Oh the horror of the real world.

 

 

Just then, sehun yells ‘kai! We love you kai!’ and kyungsoo’s cheeks morph into twin cherries, especially when sehun embarrasses himself by dancing in the spot manically. The scene awfully resembles the one in the drama ‘Reply 1997’, where the fangirl started dancing along, but kyungsoo believes that sehun should be banned from here because he’s not that cute and this place isn’t that large, so naturally, all eyes are trained on sehun; irises asking ‘what is up with that dude?’ especially when he does a few robotic moves and kyungsoo literally face palms, cursing sehun’s future children’s grand children’s great-great-grand children’s.

 

 

‘Please stop, you’re embarrassing,’ kyungsoo whispers and when sehun raises kyungsoo’s right hand along, the latter wishes he’s kept his mouth shut or disappeared like a puff of smoke or prayed he hadn’t been born. Sehun yells, “we love you kai!”

 

 

And when kyungsoo’s eyes sweep over the stage and connects with his eyes, kyungsoo is suddenly thankful for sehun and his mother for giving birth to him and god for not making him disappear like a puff of smoke just yet because the guy whom sehun called ‘kai’ is on fire and he is staring at kyungsoo. Him. Do freaking kyungsoo.

 

 

In the dark and middle of chaos, kyungsoo grips his own arms and hands just to make sure that his flesh and bones and muscles aren’t melted. Kai has his hair brushed back and his skin tone reminds kyungsoo of coffee and oh god, can he have some coffee now. When kyungsoo keeps on staring—and he’s sure that he’s tomato red right now—kai grins at him while doing a series of body waves.

 

 

Kyungsoo finally understands the allure of ‘magic mike’ and he thanks the heavens again because he’s a dude therefore the closest to ‘ovary explosion’ was tingles all over parts of his body that shouldn’t have tingled.

 

 

Kai winks at him before walking away and kyungsoo wonders if it’s possible to get pregnant from that.

 

 

 

 

“Hyung! Senpai noticed me!” jongin jumps up and down, droplets of sweat flying off every direction. Backstage, dance crews are thumping each other, their own way of saying congratulations. Eunhyuk’s group was one of the few who made it to the semi’s, but that’s not the only reason why jongin is on edge tonight.

 

 

“Is that internet slang for something?” baekhyun turns to chanyeol checking himself out in the mirror because who else can he ask.

 

 

“It means that he knows I exist! Kyungsoo knows I exist!” jongin starts pumping his fist in the air, and baekhyun restrains himself from fist pumping jongin in the face for being jongin.

 

 

“Finally! I was wondering how many reblogs and likes of his selfies would it take for him to notice you,” chanyeol chips in, and normally it would have annoyed jongin but not tonight. Jongin smiles at chanyeol and everyone in the room could tell that at the state jongin is in right now, he’d have been able to kiss the ugliest man alive.

 

 

Love drives people stupid, and sometimes stupid gets them in trouble.

 

 

 

 

 

Three days later, kyungsoo is biting his lower lip repeatedly while staring at the infuriating blank page on the screen. He bites his lower lip again and skims his teeth through them, as if it would help him claw inspiration and a story idea out of his wrinkled brain. Toasted inside his favorite comforter with only his hands sticking out to rest against the keys, kyungsoo is alone again. But unlike last time, he is so not in the mood to be alone because he freaking wants to write a new Kray fanfic, but he doesn’t know what to write about.

 

 

 

Not even rereading all of the comments he received or rereading onetaothree’s comments lifted his down-trodden spirit up. He longs to let something out, but he feels like a toddler being shoved into the pilot’s chair and getting asked to fly to beijing or new york or ing antartica. Nothing just make sense. Kyungsoo starts biting his nails out of frustration, and he’s aware that it’s not attractive, but really, which part of him has ever been attractive? He groans and rolls around and groans again.

 

 

But then kyungsoo remembers a boy with coffee skin and sparkling eyes and he goes back to his laptop to puke out more or less twelve thousand words.

 

 

 

 

“Hyung, can you please punch me in the face?” jongin approaches baekhyun because he hates chanyeol, what more do you want. Without as much as a second thought, baekhyun brings out his fist and sends it flying against jongin’s nose. Something cracks, but instead of fighting back, a smile appears on jongin’s face.

 

Baekhyun worries that he’s punched jongin a little bit too hard, it fractured what’s left of jongin’s brain.

 

 

“I’m not dreaming! Hyung, senpai really noticed me and we will be married,” with that goofy grin still on his face, jongin jumps around the room like a fifteen-year-old white girl. Screw english or fashion designing. As jongin rereads tablowme’s new story, jongin settles for studying chemistry to teach kyungsoo what they have between them. Or maybe biology because reproduction. No, no, what about history? To let kyungsoo know what they’ll make. Psychology isn’t that bad too, kyungsoo should have a firm grasp on how crazy he drives jongin.

 

 

Determined to keep his feels intact, jongin rereads his favorite part of the story again, because he knows there’s something between those lines.

 

 

Coated by the cold darkness, Kris could only press his lips together. His eyes are glued on Lay dancing in front of him, limbs gliding along with the invisible notes and raw beats. Kris imagines that if hearts could fly out of our ribcages, his would have been scampering towards the stage where Lay is.

 

 

Reasons, lights, melody, the crowd, everything just disappears and it’s just him and Lay who looks at him with adoring eyes that can never rival kris’s love. So, Kris thinks, this was what must have drove Romeo to take his life or Kate Middleton to marry a balding prince. Because they’ve met the person who could make you feel like everything and nothing at all make sense.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Onetaothree: wow! You’ve surprised me again, authornim! This was really good and heart felt and your previous works are majestic but there’s something different about this one. It feels like I’m feeling what lay feels and thank you so much for writing this piece of perfection. I hope to read more inspired fics from you! Godbless ;) —your child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

jongin flicks his plastic toy watch to reveal the time. Two more minutes before kyungsoo would grace the dingy walls of the shop, except this time, jongin is determined to do something about it. Newfound courage bought by baekhyun and chanyeol’s nagging and his previous eye contact with kyungsoo, jongin waits three tables away instead of four and joonmyun stops wiping the counter because the dark-skinned customer looks like he’s finally grew enough balls. And like a drama-gone-wrong, joonmyun would love to see how would go down.

 

 

Kyungsoo arrives. The door chimes sound. Jongin smiles and looks at kyungsoo. Kyungsoo stares back, feeling like the man before him isn’t the same man he saw a few days ago. Something is different but he doesn’t have time to analyze the situation because the man speaks.

 

 

“Hi, my name is jongin. Kai, on stage.”

 

 

Kyungsoo nods because what else can he do. He moves his tongue inside his mouth slightly just to make sure that it isn’t glued down. Jongin smiles again, and kyungsoo swears that jongin should get arrested for being able to smile like that. It isn’t fair that someone can just smile and rain down pleasant sensations and blushes on a stranger, right?

 

 

Kyungsoo moves away, heart thudding as if it wants to break free and kill kyungsoo then and there.

 

 

Jongin stares at kyungsoo’s back and recites, “Kris imagines that if our hearts could fly out of our ribcages, his would have been scampering—”

 

 

“What,” Kyungsoo turns, pale complexion turning paler. Wide eyes going wider. “How do you—”

 

 

“Because they’ve met the person who could make you feel like everything and nothing at all make sense,” jongin walks closer. Joonmyun grabs the popcorn he ordered his assistant, minseok to make earlier. As joonmyun munches, jongin just gets closer and closer. The other guy seems to be rooted on the spot.

 

 

“It doesn’t make sense—,” kyungsoo tries looking at everywhere but jongin. Sweet, yes. Adorable, yes.

 

 

 

“Because One.” A smile

 

“Tao,” jongin leans in closer

 

he pecks kyungsoo’s cheeks. “Three.”

 

 

 

 

 

F I N 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

note; astic, i tell you.

'tablowme' is an actualy tumblr and

her blog is amajjing ok.

thanks for reading this 3.5k wordpuke~