Chapter 1

Open Up

He nudged the ground with his shoe. He should probably look up when he asks, but he can’t find the courage. He had been rejected too many times. So he looks at the dirt under his feet. “Hi, I’m Yunho. Want to be friends?” Silence. He glanced at them and immediately stepped back.

"Yoochun only needs me. Right, Yoochun?" Glaring at Yunho with all the anger he can convey, he puts his arm around the smaller boy. The taller one, Yunho still didn’t know his name then, glances at the boy beside him when he doesn’t respond immediately. Yoochun is looking at him and smiling.

"Minnie, don’t be mean. He just wants to be friends." Then he turns that smile towards him. He nudges the other boy. Once, twice, three times and then gives him a pointed look. A look the other turns away from with a huff. This time he gets a kick instead of a nudge. When he doesn’t turn around Yoochun sighs.

Yunho knows the hurt is showing on his face. He doesn’t even try to hide it. Apologizing as he backs away slowly, he turns when he feels his eyes start to water. He feels eyes watching him run away.

Why do I keep crying? I shouldn’t be surprised anymore. No one wants to be my friend. Why did I think that they would be different?

After school, when his umma comes to get him at the end of the day, he cries again.

She smiles at him, picks him up and hugs him close. “What’s wrong with my Yunnie?” He can feel her frown when he doesn’t say anything. His umma leans back just enough to look in his eyes. Hugging him tighter she packs him to the car.

That night his parents talk about transferring him to a different school. He doesn’t want to though. Even if Minnie is mean and he didn’t have any friends. He still wanted to be close to them. If he moves schools he’ll never get to be their friend.

He moves from where he was hiding. Fists clenched at his sides, he stares at them. “I don’t wanna.” His eyes are starting to water and the frown on his face is nothing either of his parents have seen before. “I want to stay at my school. Please, don’t make me leave.” His expression and the dimming light in his eyes was breaking his parents heart. So they agreed.
___________________________________________________

At school the next day Minnie comes up to him. He doesn’t look happy and Yunho thinks it’s a good time to leave. He runs in the opposite direction. Maybe he upset the taller of the two more than he thought because he’s chasing him. Then Yoochun is in front of him blocking his way, wearing that same smile he had yesterday.

“I- I’m sorry I talked to you, I’ll never do it again -- just don’t hit me. It hurts.” He feels a glare and apologizes again. Tiny arms wrap around him and the glare is gone.

Yoochun frowns at Changmin over Yunho’s shoulder. He mouths apologize and glares when he doesn't speak fast enough. "Shim Changmin! I said apologize." The power held behind the glare speaks volumes. Changmin briefly wonders how the boy can show care to Yunho and be so angry at him, at the same time. Maybe he should talk now. That look that's been thrown at him shows pain in his near future.

Changmin stares at the back of Yunho’s head. He lets out a huff and begins. "I'm sorry -- for yelling at you. It was mean and you were just trying to be nice."

Yunho blinks and turns in the arms holding him, they don't let go. "Wh- What?" The boy in his friend's arms looks shocked and he feels guilty all over again. He doesn’t let it show. "I'm not saying it again. Let's go, we have class." Yoochun squeezes Yunho then squeals, hugs his best friend and starts walking. They both stop when they realize he isn't following. Yoochun stomps his foot and marches back toward the boy. Changmin smiled as Yoochun started dragging their new friend down the hall.

"Move it, Yunho. If we're late it's going to be all your fault.” The smaller one is pulling him along, Changmin is walking in front, and it slowly dawns on him.

He stops, halting their progress. "I have friends." They turn to look at him and he's smiling. Yoochun squeals and hugs him again.