Time escapes easily

What are we?

 

The warm red sky settled above the horizon.  The soft echoes of cool water crashing against the shore was soothing but yet familiar. There was no one to be found but us. Alone, amongst the rays of sunlight of the afternoon sun, we were lying on our backs next to each other against the sand.

I to my side to meet his eyes. His dark chocolate orbs reflected in the summer’s light; a beauty that burned in my memory for all these years. Striking and soft, his gaze made me self-conscious. His hair was black, becoming slightly long over the winter since the last time I saw him. His fringe stopped under his eyelids. Cheondung’s smile was the same. It was sweet with a burst of innocence.  It made butterflies form in my stomach.

Cheondung stared back. I couldn’t escape his presence. A smile played on his lips.

‘’How have you’ve been?’’ He whispered.

 I looked away, embarrassed. We were close enough for our lips to touch. I covered my face, attempting to hide the warmth that was creeping up my cheeks.

‘’I am good.’’ I managed to reply back. There were something stuck at the back of my throat.  My emotions grew, sparking an overwhelming ache within heart.

 We were so caught up with work, that we lost track of time. Time that felt like eternity in isolation. There would be days where I would just curl up in a ball and let my heart ache in sorrow. His soothing husky voice would linger in my ears for hours on end. One night, I felt his soft whisper tickling my ear. ‘’ Wake up now or I’ll kiss you unprotected lips’’. I woke up; saddened to see that it was only a dream. But now after seven months, Cheondung finally had the time to see me.

Cheondung cupped my cheek his strong smooth hand. With his thumb, he caressed my warm cheek, smoothing out the tension on my face. It caught me off guard sending body into a quiet shiver. My heart could not stop pounding against my chest. I drew my eyes towards his lips. It was rosy red; slightly thin but well proportioned.  Instinctively, I bit my lip.  His lips curled slightly in response. In that intimate moment, he swallowed loudly. His Adam’s apple bobbed up and down.

‘’How long has it been since-’’

‘’Too long’’ I cut off.

His hand left my cheek and his finger moved to rest under my chin. I tensed. My breathing became uneasy. Cheondung’s finger then left my chin. Suddenly, he playfully ruffled my straightened hair.

 ‘’Ya! What was that for? ‘’

Silence fell abruptly. Cheondung simply stared at my lips, mentally outlining its shape. His eyes looked into my own with the same desire and yearn I’ve felt for these couple of months. He stood up, closing his weary eyes and yawned.

 ‘’Let’s go home before it gets dark’’ he said eagerly, reaching out for my hand.  I slid my hand into his. I blushed furiously, feeling the electrical messages whizz up and down my body. Slowly, I followed him towards his four wheel drive. Cheondung’s hand was warm against mine. He squeezed it, playfully grinning. I giggled uncontrollably, feeling euphoric and light headed. My clammy hands could not take his loving actions. When we got to his car, he stood still. I noted the soft rise and fall of his broad chest. His thumb began to draw invisible circles in the palm of my hand, tracing its soft crevices.  Cheondung released my hand unwillingly, and opened the passenger door like a gentlemen. ‘Since when was he like this?‘ I thought to myself intently.

I hopped in and put on my seatbelt. Cheondung slid into the driver’s seat and started the engine. The drive home was silent but strangely comforting. I leaned my head against the window, resting my heavy eyelids. A small voice kept murmuring into my ear, keeping me from falling asleep. Maybe, just maybe, he sort of likes me? I know we are more than friends… but what are we? I’ve never got the courage to tell him how I feel. I just can’t. I-I hope he does… I don’t know. I don’t want to…In the past, I would quietly suppress my jealously, as I would hear him speak or see pictures of him with pretty girls. Girls that was his type.  

The car came to a sudden stop. I opened my eyes to see him out of the driver seat; a click sound echoing behind him. I took off my seatbelt and stepped out of his car to find myself at his house.

‘’Aren’t you going to take me home?’’ I questioned.

‘’ As a gentlemen, I can’t let you go home with an empty stomach.’’

Just in the nick of time, my stomach rumbled loudly. Embarrassed, I placed my left hand on my stomach, desperately trying to muffle its roar.  Cheondung laughed loudly, and unlocked his house door.  We stepped into the hall way. Instantly, he circled his arm around my waist brining it close to his own. With one hand, he placed it over my eyes. His mouth lowered to my ear. It brushed against my ear lobe. His breath was warm, tickling my ear.

‘’Don’t look’’. 

He guided me cautiously towards something that smelt amazing. I felt the cold tiles against my feet. He released his hand from my eyes. In the dim lit dining room, there was a small round table with 2 plates of well-proportioned gourmet pasta. A small vase of freshly cut red roses stood in between the plates, accompanied by the shiny cutlery. He pushed the chair back invitingly.

‘’Come, lets it’’.

I agreed, sitting back into the chair and picked up my fork. As soon as he sat down, I dived into the pasta. At the end of dinner, he started giggling. Before I could speak, his thumb came down to the corner of my mouth gently smoothing out it out to clean up the leftover pasta sauce. His thumb slowly began to caress the softness of my bottom lip as his eyes intently watched. Scarlet erupted from my cheeks.

‘’ Would you like to dance with me now?’’ he asked.

I stood up. The slow music began to play. He encircled his arm firmly around my waist. We soon started to sway. His breath was warm against my neck sending shivers down my spine. I leaned my head in abandon against his firm chest. His shoulders were broad, chiselled like a fine sculpture. His biceps peaked out of his tight shirt, sometimes glistening in the sun. Like silk, his skin was white and smooth. My heart thumped in an uneasy rhythm. Closing my eyes, I carefully listened to his breathing. I became aware of the rise and fall of his chest. He smelt of soap and musk. Alluring but yet so attractive.  Just like I remembered. Nothing had changed. I didn’t want him to go away and disappear like he does every night in my dreams. I was trembling ever night, and was trembling now.  This time, he was real. I could feel the taunt plane of his firm stomach, the crevices of his newly defined body.    Our faces were inches part as our foreheads were against each other, oblivious of each other’s blush.

‘’I’m going to kiss your unprotected lips this time’’. His voice trailed off into a low whisper. He cupped both of my cheeks. I was flushed. With every touch, my heart would skip a beat sending me into a haze of warmth and fulfilling pleasure. His soft lips first brushed my right cheek, making my eyes fall to the ground in an act of shyness. Unconsciously I bit my lip, nervously pulling away from his butterfly touch.  I quietly became conscious of the situation. His lip grazed my own hesitantly. He pulled me closer to him. Our lips parted, softly moving in a hesitant manner. Soon it escalated, his lips becoming sweet and passionate, igniting the small flame that my body yearned for. Our kisses were long and deep, taking turns to slowly and tug on each other’s bottom lip. Cheondung’s hand my back, and was soon all over my body. In between the kisses, a small smile rose to the surface of his lips, whispering my name over and over. With half closed eyes, I kissed him once more, and pulled away, slipping my hand into his own.  In a small low voice, he said the thing that I’ve always wanted him to say.

‘’I’ve been waiting all these years for you to love me the way I’ve loved you. Do I have to wait any longer?’’

‘’No’’

With that, he lead me into is bedroom falling asleep in each other’s arms, never letting time escape from us ever again.