` final

silence is not always golden

 

Soojung walked down the wedding aisle towards him, her white train slowly trailed behind her; the tiniest hint of a smile tugged at the corner of her lips as her dark brown eyes shimmered with unshed tears.

 

Jongin looked at her and realized that she looks beautiful, breathtaking even as they exchange a nod of acknowledgement across the crowded hall. He felt his heart palpitating violently, threatening to explode any moment.

 

 

xx

 

 

The door swung back heavily, as a drunken Jongin entered, tossing his shoes to the nearest empty spot he found. “, Soojung, you scared me.” He spat at the brunette at the sofa who curled her knees together, weeping as she buried her face in her hands.

 

 

Unsteadily the older male makes his way towards her, placing the bottle on the table before practically falling onto the couch beside her. “Crying?” Soojung tried to turn away, but in an instant, his hand cupped her chin as he forced her to look at him—straight in the eyes. The woman tried her best not to give in as he kissed her, his breath reeked of alcohol as he probed her lips. She resisted but it wasn’t long before she realized that her efforts would be futile; the girl gave in, their tongues lapped against each other.

 

 

The brunette closed her eyes, feeling completely vulnerable. His kisses grew more urgent, more intense and the initial panic she felt subsided as Soojung kissed him back passionately, her hands fumbled with his belt buckle.

 

Tonight was going to be the last night, the brunette thought to herself.

 

 

xx

 

 

They’ve parted ways amicably, it wasn’t a break-up since they were no feelings involved—or at least that was what he had chosen to believe. Jongin was a young man, barely twenty five and commitment was the last thing on his mind.

 

 

Soojung, on the other hand constantly pestered him, she had wanted what he was not capable of giving—his loyalty and commitment. Despite so, they’ve continued meeting each other, although this time, no matter how hard Jongin had tried to seduce her, the brunette was unwilling to give in.

 

 

It was a few months later when Jongin saw Soojung walking down the streets of Seoul, her fingers entwined with another man’s as their hands clasped loosely together. She smiled, Jongin noticed - and he realized that Soojung was never this happy when they were together.

 

 

The unmistakable rage lurked in his eyes as Jongin felt his fists clenched in anger as he gritted his teeth. At that moment, Jongin wished he had cherished her when he should.

 

But it’s too late—the unimaginable realization dawned on him that Soojung was no longer his—she was never his to begin with.

 

xx

 

 

“Soojung,” Jongin uttered as he ran his fingers through his hair, an apologetic look plastered all over his face. It was now or never—all Jongin had to do was apologize, and Soojung would certainly take him back.

 

Soojung cocked her head questioningly at him as she tore her eyes away from her book. “I have something to tell you,” he whispered, trembling from head to toe, afraid as the walls he had built around him for years came crashing down. Weak and vulnerable; he scorned this feeling.

 

 

The brunette stared at him, her eyes widened in surprise at his words; not quite comprehending what he was trying to convey. “Jongin,” she uttered, a look of profound concern had made its way across her face. “Is anything wrong?”

 

“Nothing,” he changed his mind again, he was not mentally prepared for this— he wasn’t ready to plead or beg for her to take him back. If she doesn’t get the hint, then so be it—she would eventually figure it out by her own, or at least that’s what he convinced himself.

 

 

He would certainly tell her when the time is right—he would tell her tomorrow; Jongin told himself for the umpteenth time.

 

 

xx

 

 

Days become months, and months become years.

 

 

Jongin has yet to tell Soojung how he truly feels about her. This time however, it seems as if Soojung has something to tell him.

 

 

“Jongin, I have something to tell you,” Jongin had never seen her more radiant as the brunette tucked a stray hair behind her ear, the corner of her lips pulled up into a huge grin; her voice sounding jubilant—at least to Jongin, it sounded happy.

 

 

“He proposed to me,” She squealed and clasped her hands together in feigned delight. “Baekhyun proposed to me!”

 

Shock and surprise was written all over his face and he hurriedly looked away, not wanting her to see the pained expression on his face. “Did you say yes?” His eyes were transfixed on the ceiling, he blinked once, twice; his stubborn eyes had refused to clear.

 

 

Soojung glanced at him, a hopeful expression on her face—perhaps Jongin would tell her today. “Why, Jongin? Should I say no?”

 

 

“No, definitely not. Why would you want to miss out on a chance like this?” The young man looked at her, before quickly glancing away—a tell-tale sign that he was lying. Soojung knows him far too well to believe in his blatant lie. Despite so, she nodded, although the smile plastered on her face earlier had vanished, a frown now taking its place.

 

“Isn’t that what you’ve been yearning for? You’ve always told me you wanted to get married.” Albeit the tear that was trickling down his face, the young man mustered all the strength he had just to smile at her; quickly wiping his tears away. “I’m really happy for you.”

 

 

“I’m glad you’re happy for me,” Her voice quivered with emotion as she bit her lower lip—she must never let Jongin see through her façade. The brunette held back her tears; she was determined to not let him see her cry.

 

“I am,” he whispered, desperately forcing a smile onto his face—a feeble attempt to conceal his heartache. His heart broke with a sickening crack; tears brimmed at the corner of his eyes as he bit back the cry of anguish that was building inside him. “In case you’re wondering, these are tears of joy, Soojung.”

 

 

Jongin, however, doesn’t realize the frown which had crept across her face, and neither does he hear the sound of her heart breaking.

 

 

xx

 

 

Jongin was unaware of what that was about to happen next.

 

 

He felt her lips crashing onto his in a sudden burst of passion as she slipped her tongue into his mouth unsuspectingly; loud music playing above them. His eyes widened, obviously surprised by her actions—but nevertheless, the man kissed her back with such fierce intensity as if never wanting to stop and suffice to say, the kisses grew more urgent as the brunette felt her back press up against the wall. His kisses trailed down her neck as her smoldering hands s under his shirt, caressing his bare chest.

 

 

“Soojung,” Jongin hissed, the feel of her hands on his chest restricted his breathing. “I lov-” Feeling her hands slip away from his chest, the young man realized that she was no longer responding to his passionate kisses. Almost immediately, he halted himself.

 

 

He glanced at her and the next thing he knew, the feeble looking woman gave him a hefty shove and he nearly toppled over. Much to his disappointment, it ended as soon as it started—the brunette hastily distanced herself from the older man. With her thumb, the brunette wiped away the remnants of her tears.

 

 

Jongin, please leave me alone.” Soojung hissed, tears threatening to brim over her eyes as she stared at him—her eyes filled with scorn. It only took him once glance and instinctively he recognized the unmistakable glare of loathing —the same look she had given him two years ago on that fateful day when she had told him that it was over.

 

Jongin frowned at her request, “Soojung, I know that it’s your bachelorette party and you’re supposed to have fun but you’re drunk, and you can’t think straight. You ought to be thankful that it was me and not some stranger.” He could hardly resist the urge to roll his eyes at her.

 

 

I’m happy here, Jongin.” It was an obvious lie—her eyes were still glistening with newly formed tears. Her resistance was faltering—she had ached for his tender touch but this time, Soojung was determined to end this once and for all. “I wanted you to fight for me but you never did. It’s far too late now.”

 

 

Jongin blinked as the words finally registered in his mind, the lump in his throat grew larger—new tears burned in the corner of his eyes as his heart almost came to a stop as realization dawned upon him with a painful thud.

 

Everything fell into place and Jongin finally understood, Soojung had loved him all along.

 

 

xx

 

 

Jongin roused out of the apparent reverie he was in, a slightly dazed look spread across his face as he stared at Soojung who was wiping the tears off her reddened face.

 

 

“Do you promise to love him, to honor and cherish him, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, and to be to him in all things a good and faithful wife as long as you both shall live?" She darted a quick glance at him before looking away, “I do.”

 

 

This time Jongin heard the sound of her heart breaking - he heard it loud and clear.