final

If The Two Of Us Were Drowning, Who Would You Save?

 

If The Two Of Us Were Drowning, Who Would You Save?

‘’Yah, Sung Si Won! How can you stand up for your daughter right now? Just because she’s making the same brain-dead mistakes you made as a teenager, you – owww!!’’ Yoon Jae’s tirade was broken off, by the painful and familiar tug at his hair as his wife grabbed tufts of it in her violent fists. It was truly a miracle that he wasn’t bald, after the years of abuse his hair had undergone at the hands of his fiery wife.

‘’Brain-dead? How dare you insult me in front of our daughter! And I’m not defending her actions! I agree, she should have told us she wanted to go to the concert instead of sneak out, but you’re completely overreacting!’’ Using the hair in her hands like reigns, she pushed her husband’s head towards the ground, before letting go. He straightened up, rubbing his scalp, whilst glaring at his wife, making sure to stand an arms-length away from her.

‘’Overreacting? How exactly am I overreacting? She’s lucky all I did was confiscate her SHINee merchandise and ground her. I could have taken a pair of scissors to her head the way your father did to you!’’ At this, Yoon Hana cringed, pulling a sofa cushion over her head protectively, although her parents had already moved on in their argument.  She sighed. Oh well, she brought this on herself. For some teenagers seeing their parents fight like this may have been either a cause for concern or entertainment. However with the frequency of these trivial arguments of her own parents, it was more of a boring, repetitive headache.  She had learned early on to sit quiet throughout it, thus diverting attention from herself, and wait till her dad eventually caved in. He may have been a straightforward, cold Judge at work, but at home, he was putty in the hands of his wife and daughters…putty that omma literally beats in to shape, she thought dryly, as her mother made another grab for her father’s hair.

‘’Appa found out you sneaked off to the concert then?’’ Hana turned to see her older sister Yuri plop down on the couch next to her, rolling her eyes at her parents’ antics.

‘’He wasn’t supposed to!’’ Hana grumbled. ‘’He was meant to be working late today – of all days a case had to be rescheduled, why today?’’

‘’I suppose that’s just your luck. Seriously though, what’s so great about your pretty boys anyways? They don’t even know you exist.’’  Hana deadpanned at her sister’s comment, before promptly whacking her with the cushion.

‘’Urgh! You’re just like Appa! You don’t understand! It doesn’t matter if they know me or not. It’s enough that I love them and will support them till I’m an old grandma!’’ Her outburst had caused her parents to stop their own argument and turn to look at the subject of it. Whilst her mother gave a fleeting smirk at her daughter’s fan loyalty, her father snorted derisively.

‘’Yah, Yoon Hana, you think this undying love is right? I’m not telling you not not to like SHINee, but when it causes you to lie to your parents, skip school and go to a different city on your own when you’re only 12 - don’t you think that’s wrong?’’ he ranted, going over to kneel in front of his youngest, so they were eye to eye. Hana looked down abashed.

‘’I’m sorry appa. I didn’t want to lie to you, but if I had told you, you would have said no!’’ Her father placed his hands gently on her cheeks, tilting her face up so she could look at him.

‘’You’re right. I would have said no.’’ Just as his daughter opened to protest, he placed his hand gently over . ‘’But only because I as your father, who loves you more than anything on this planet, worries for your safety. Besides, if you had told your mother and I earlier, one of us would have tried to take time off work to go with you. I only would have said no, if we couldn’t be there to go with you.’’ Hana looked down again, her lower lip sticking out and trembling.

‘’I’m sorry appa. Really. I promise to never sneak out again. It’s just – just – I really wanted to go!’ she stammered as her eyes grew teary. Her father got up, lifting his daughter in to his arms, before sitting on the sofa with her in his lap. He really is such a softie when it comes to the women in his life, Si Won thought, watching her husband and daughter affectionately.

‘’ It was Taemin’s birthday last week and I had to be there to sing happy birthday with the other fans and make sure he got my present!’’ Hana mumbled in to her father’s shirt. Her father shook her gently in her lap.

‘’Yah Yoon Hana, is Taemin really that precious to you? You didn’t even give your loving appa a birthday present! Your appa, who said he was even willing to go to those skinny, pretty boys’ concert and endure it for you. Do you love him more than your appa?’’

‘’No,’’ Hana answered, but it came a beat late. Yoon Jae  pulled back so he could look at his daughter once more, suspicion in his eyes. Siwon quickly hid her smile behind her hand. She could sense a very familiar question making a comeback.

‘’Hana darling, if your appa and Taemin were drowning, and you could only save one of us, who would you save?’’ Siwon burst out laughing. Yup. She was right. Yoon Jae glared at her, but she just pointed at him whilst pulling a cute face, reminding him that she at least, had made her decision about who to save. He smiled lovingly at her, before quickly reverting his attention back to his daughter, who had the audacity to still not have answered.

‘’Hmm…well appa, you’re really good at sports right?’’

‘’Yeesss,’’ he dragged out the answer between clenched teeth already not liking the direction this was going.

‘’And you’re really strong and well built. So surely I have a duty to try to save Taemin first. As you said, he’s skinny, he probably needs more help. If I go to save him first, surely then, the chances that both of you live are higher than if I go to save you first – right?’’ Hana opened her eyes wide, trying to look as innocent as possible. Her mother laughed heartily and went over to kiss her head.

‘’Aaah Yoon Jae, don’t take it so hard!’’ she nudged her frozen, statue-like husband. ‘’Be thankful. Our daughter here may have inherited her mother’s fan girl heart, but she inherited her father’s sense of logic. We might make a lawyer out of you, little Hana!’’ she pinched her daughter’s cheek affectionately.

Ahh, The world is funny, she thought. My fangirl fanfiction led to me finding my path in writing and my daughter’s fangirl defense of her idols and  choices might make a lawyer out of her. And they say fangirling is useless -hmph!

Yoon Jae sighed, and patted Hana’s hair. ‘’I suppose if there’s one thing I can’t argue with is reason. At least my pretty yeobo will come save me before Tony right?’’ he reached out his free arm to his wife, cupping her face gently. Siwon leant in to his hand, kissing his palm gently. He smiled at her with a tenderness than could melt butter.

‘’What about you, Yuri? You’re not in to any idols, you’ll save appa from drowning too, right?’’ At this, the 3 females froze and looked at each other awkwardly. Hana coughed slightly and got up from her father’s lap, knowing she didn’t want to be in arms reach when the oncoming bombshell would land.

‘’What are you three all looking so suspicious about? Yuri you’re not in to idols – or are you now?’’

Yuri shook her head, a blush blooming across her cheeks. ‘’No, not idols.’’

Not idols….not idols…the words kept repeating in Yoon Jae’s head, before their implication suddenly dawned on him. His left eye twitched, making the mole beneath his eye jump up and down.

‘’You have a boyfriend?’’ his voice was monotone, calm. It was his judge voice; perfectly disguising the thunderstorm beneath the surface. His daughters and wife stared at him, trying to read some sort of reaction off of him.

‘’Yes,’ Yuri breathed, wringing her hands with nerves. This wasn’t exactly how she had envisioned telling her father about her boyfriend.

‘’I see. How long have you been dating? What’s his name? How do you know him?’’ Yoon Jae just about managed to leave it at three questions.

Keep calm, keep calm, you can do a background check on the boy later Yoon Jae.

‘’Umm…his name is Jung Tae Kyung, and he’s a sunbae in the athletic team. We’ve only really confessed, but he wanted to meet you and omma first, before we go on a date!’’ she quickly put in. Nevermind the fact that that was a complete lie, and that they had already been on 2 dates. But Yuri wasn’t stupid. She had to paint a good boy image for her father here.

‘’A Sunbae? Yuri you’re only 17! Boys your age - and even worse older - have dirty minds! You’re too young for a relationship, especially with someone older!’’ Yoon Jae burst out. God, when he thought about what he was like at that age…no, no way. Absolutely not.

And just as he was about to voice his extreme refusal, Siwon placed her arms around his shoulders. ‘’It’s late. Yuri, your father and I will both be home early on Thursday. Invite him to dinner then and we can get to know him, and see what kind of a young man he is.’’ Just as Yoon Jae opened his mouth to protest, Siwon kissed his cheek and whispered in to his ear, ‘’you’ll have time to do a background check and you can go all Spanish inquisition on him when he comes. But at least this way its out in the open, rather than her running around with him behind our backs.’’ Yoon Jae sighed. He had to concede. His wife was right.

‘’Alright. Now go wash up you two and go to bed.’’ Yuri’s eyes shone with excitement and the two girls raced up the stairs giggling excitedly. Yoon Jae sighed again heavily, suddenly feeling very drained and tired. Si Won sat on his lap and nuzzled his neck, his arms wrapping round her automatically.

‘’How long have you known?’’ he whispered, too tired to even summon a normal voice.

‘’A few weeks. I was going to tell you, but it was her secret to tell. I made her promise she would tell you – although I’m pretty sure today was not how she had planned it.’’

‘’Do you know anything about this boy?’’

‘’I do. Know how I said work ran over time a bunch of times these last 3 weeks?’’ He nodded. ‘’Well it didn’t. I kind of…went to the school and stalked him, to see what he’s like with his friends, with other girls, with her. He seems like a really nice, genuine guy.

Yoon Jae sighed once more. ‘’You know stalking is illegal yeobo?’’ Siwon smiled. ‘’You going to press charges Mr. Judge?’’  Yoon Jae shook his head ruefully.

‘’Nah. I’m glad you did. It’s just…happening so fast. Logically I know she’s the same age I was when I realized I’d fallen for you…but my heart doesn’t want to seem to accept that she’s already so grown up – that her appa isn’t the only man in her life anymore.’’ Siwon cupped his face and pecked his lips gently.

‘’I know it’s hard seeing our babies grow up. It doesn’t even feel like that long ago that I was beating you with a pillow for getting me pregnant in the first place.’’ The memory raised a chuckle out of Yoon Jae. ‘’If it’s any solace to you as it is to me, the boy actually reminded me a bit of you – not the getting pregnant part – but your character. Our baby will be well taken care of and loved, with someone who is just as sweet as her appa.’’  Yoon Jae hugged her tighter, burying his nose in her hair. ‘’Besides, if you’re lucky they’ll break up  - sure we’ll have to deal with a  heartbroken teenager, but then it’ll be a while before you have to fend off anymore guys,’ Siwon teased, causing Yoon Jae to wipe his hand over her face, the way he had countless of times since their childhood.

‘‘Appa?’’ Came a voice from behind them.

‘’Hmm?’’ the two twisted round to find Yuri standing in front of the stairs in her PJ’s.

‘’Ummm…I just wanted to answer your question before I went to bed. I’d still save you from drowning appa.’’  Yoon Jae went all mushy inside as he motioned for his not so little girl to come closer. He pecked her forehead and whispered, ‘’you’ll always be your daddy’s girl. Sleep tight sweetheart.’’ She hugged him and her mother, and headed back up the stairs. Si Won nestled back in to her husband’s embrace, whilst tickling him under the chin. ‘’Awww, now two of your favourite girls would save you from drowning.’’ He wiped his hand over her face again so she would stop the puppy-like tickling, and hugged her closer, her head nestled beneath his chin.

‘’Hmm…jagiya, do you know the address that SHINee fans send their presents to?’’

‘’Nope, but I could get it. Why do you want it?’’

‘’Because I think I need to send this Taemin protein shakes, so my daughter can’t use the vulnerable excuse anymore. Then I’ll have all three of my girls saving me from drowning.’’ Si Won laughed loudly, hitting her husband’s chest playfully, happy to be in the arms of the one who would save her from downing too.