The Bento Story

[Drabble] The Bento Story

 

“Be sure to take your medicine at the right time, and listen to what the doctor says,” Maki dictates, holding the phone in between her shoulder and ear while she holds on tightly to the double-deck bento wrapped in a flower-print cloth. “I’ll leave food out your door so don’t forget to eat dinner, alright?”

 

She hears Yamapi sniffing on the other end as he murmurs his thanks. “Gomen ne, Maki-chan, I know you’re busy-”

 

“Daijoubu! Don’t worry about it,” she smiles as she rings the bell.

 

“Alright then, I’m opening the door, so make sure you’re a good ten meters away,” she hears him but didn’t listen. It’s been two weeks since they last seen each other, so she’s not missing this chance to see him up close.

 

The door opens, and out comes a Yamapi wrapped in his thick comforter, tissue dangling off his nostril. He sees her and glares; before the image sinks in, he attempts to close the door.

 

Only that he’s too weak, and Maki is strong enough to push the door away and jump at him, hugging him as tightly as she could, bento box carefully left at the side of the door.

 

“Ne, Maki-chan! You’re going to get sick!” he tries to push her away, while balancing the both of them upright.

 

“I don’t care Tomo-kun, we can get sick together!”

 

“But-but-”

 

The door closes, bento box left outside, forgotten until a good thirty minutes later.