Do I Really See You?

Submersion

I stare at the envelope in resting in my hands.  Tears are threatening to spill, but they simply can’t because I have to be strong.  That’s how it’s been all of my life.  I had no choice but to be strong for everyone else.  When could I finally be strong for me?  Is there a reality where my feelings actually matter?

My hands twitch as I open the flap.  I notice my hands start to sparkle.  Of course he’d use glitter; that was all too much like him.

I pull the card out and turn it over.  “Jonghyun” is written in silver across the front in a very elegant cursive.  The black glitter covers the entire card.

I hastily open the card.  A picture of Key and me at the beach falls out.  It was taken on our six-month anniversary.  He’s smiling brightly and kissing my cheek.  I’m just grinning like a fool at the camera.  I shift my eyes to his fancy writing.

 

My Dearest Jjong,

I’m very sorry and I hope you can accept my apology.  I know I told you after it was too late, but you have to understand I did it so I wouldn’t hurt you.

-Key

 

I sigh and stuff the card back in the envelope.  I don’t know why I’m so disappointed.  Was I expecting him to jump out of the card and kiss me?  I drop the card on my desk and go for a walk.

 

Thirty minutes later, I’m walking along the beach.  It’s the end of fall, so no one’s here.  I see Key dart past me, sprinting to the ocean with excitement in his eyes.

“You’re going to catch a cold, babo!” I call after him.  He turns around for a split second and laughs lightheartedly before running into the water.

“Come on, Jjjong, come play with me!”  He splashes the water towards me playfully.

“Key, you’ll get sick!”

“I don’t get sick!”

Those words tear a hole through my heart.  I stare at him, my eyes watering.

“Why are you crying?  Come in the water with me!”  I can tell he’s getting frustrated.

“It’s too cold.”

He groans and steps out.  His hair is a total mess and he doesn’t even seem to care.

As long as you’re with me, nothing else matters.

Before I even notice, Key is standing in front of me.  He takes my hand.

“You’re freezing.”  I frown at him.

“The water is a little chilly, but that doesn’t matter.  Come on.”

He drags me to the water, and I’m too tired to protest.

“You can’t swim in a coat,” Key says, ping my jacket and pulling it off my shoulders.  He tosses it to the side.

“I’m not so sure about this.”

“We’ll be together if you get in the water.”

My eyes widen.  I suddenly come to my senses.  “You died months ago!”

Key’s eyebrow rises.  “What are you talking about, silly?”

“You haven’t been around since April!  You’re not real.”

“W-What?”  He begins to sob and shoves my chest.  “Don’t you love me?  Of course I’m real!”

“Key, don’t-“

He shakes his head and starts swimming away.  “You’re a jerk!”

I jump in the water and swim after him.  He dives under, and I do the same.  I open my eyes, the salt burning my eyes.  He swims over and grabs me, pulling me down to the bottom.

I begin to panic, fearing I’ll drown.  He plants a kiss on my lips and attaches chains to my ankle.  They’re too heavy and I can’t escape.

Key beams and says something.  I only hear the last part: forever.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 “This is Lee Jinki with the ten-o-clock news.  Today, an eighteen-year old boy was found in the ocean after missing for two days, identified to be high school student Kim Jonghyun.  It is believed to be a suicide.  His boyfriend, Kim Kibum, committed suicide in April as well.  Our hearts will be with his family.”


A/N: I know it’s really short, but I haven’t quite mastered writing long fics yet!  Comments are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for reading!